News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cell/Obi/GVoice Call Forwarding and VMail Config Confusion

Started by Necromancyr, January 10, 2013, 05:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necromancyr

So...I'm trying to get my home office line setup the way I want and I'm having some issues.  Basically, what I want is the following:

- Ability to forward my cell phone to my Obi/GVoice # when I'm working from my home office, and have it ring THEN go to GVoice for VM.
- Have my cell phone use GVoice VM as my default for voicemail.

I'm fine with toggling on/off the forwarding since Verizon doesn't do 'ring two numbers simultaneously' and having it just autoforward to my GV number might result in ridiculously long ring times before hitting VM. 

As of now, everything is setup fine with my cell and my obi line w/GV.  What's not working is when I forward my cell to the Obi/GV line.  It just goes straight to VM.  Not sure how to fix it without having to redo GV settings EVERY time I want it to not do this.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Do you have your cell setup as a "phone" in Google Voice, which allows you to ring your cell simultaneously?  If so, and then you forward your cell to Google Voice via your cell carrier, a call to your cell directly forwards to Google Voice, which forwards it to your cell, which sees you calling yourself and puts you into Voicemail... 

Or, it's because you're using GV as your voicemail, so when your cell is forwarded to Google Voice, it sees a call coming in from the cell and figures you are trying to check voicemail...

An easy fix might be to forward the call, if you can, by removing callerid from the call, i.e. blocking the number, which will then work like anyone else calling.

MikeHObi

It's not clear how you have things configured right now.
Your Cell phone should have a phone number from your cell provider.
Your office phone is apparently using google voice.

Is your cell phone setup with it's on google voice account, or using the Obi account?

Setup your cell phone number (from the cell company) as a phone in the Obi Google Voice account.
There will already be google chat setup there.
Setup your cell phone and the google chat to ring when calls come into that number.

That should be all you need to do.  When calls come into the Obi google voice number, both the phone connected to the obi and your cell phone will ring.  You answer which ever one is convenient for you.

For example, I have a personal gv number and a obi gv number.  I have my personal gv setup so that during working hours, calls to my personal GV number ring on my office phone number, and my cell.  Outside of working hours calls to my personal GV number ring on my cell and my home phone (obi). 

Now... note the issue with that configuration?  Obi is a google voice number and Google won't let me forward google voice calls to another google voice number.  That's where the free NY DID from callcentric comes in.  In my personal GV setup, I forward to my Obi via the Call Centric NY DID which then rings the obi.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Necromancyr

Rick - I think it's the straight to VM because it's coming from my phone thing.

I guess the real solution is just have GV be my main number and have that direct to everything else. I was trying to have it to I retained my cell number now and that was my base, but I don't think that's possible. 

(And it's one GV account I'm using for VM and for the OBi, so...same  number.   I guess I could get a second if needed)