News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Our Road Warrior Encrypted Obi Setup

Started by TinyHardwareFirewall, January 10, 2013, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyHardwareFirewall

This combines our tiny hardware firewall (which has a 256bit openvpn client built in) with the Obi100. 

http://www.tinyhardwarefirewall.com/the-tinyhardwarefirewall-blog/

The sound is great, plus, using the vpn from abroad will allow you to use Google voice while overseas.
Enjoy.
GT

CoalMinerRetired

Interesting and timely. Powered  by a UPS port, small footprint so easy to carry when traveling.

For the record, I note a few things.
1-You are evidently selling these devices. That it is not necessarily a bad thing, I did not have to dig very deep to conclude that.  
2-You are also charging a subscription for annual usage. Also did not have to dig deep to figure that out.
3-I'm not so sure such high encryption done end-to-end is ever going to be needed by the hobbyist and "prosumer" types that frequent this website.  Maybe the VARs here will like it.

Still, I hope the decision makers choose not to remove this thread for advertising or whatever, so the paranoid among us (example, I'm not one them, but this is your target demographic) can see what is possible, at the extreme end of the usage spectrum.

giqcass

I was thinking about putting together something similar for travel use.  I wanted to set up a VPN to my home instead of someone elses server however.  My router supports VPN and I was thinking about a second router to travel with.  It would be nice to toss everything in a single box with a cheap cordless phone. 

It would be really cool if The 202 supported VPN then we could toss the wifi dongle in and rock in roll.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

I set up my own package today with everything accept the VPN.  It works well.  I'll play around with the VPN another day when I'm board.  For now it connects with no problem and the call quality is as good as my wired connection.  I put DDR-WRT on one of my old routers that was collecting dust.  It might be time to get an OBi100 for travel use.

norohanta2

Bonjour,
Vous parlez des proxy, mais je voudrais vous dire qu'il faut choisir les meilleurs et fiables, bon beh c'est pour prendre part au forum quoi, je ne parle pas l'anglais! pardon! merci

vpn android
vpn sécurisé
changer adresse ip

azrobert

I'm a VPN novice, but I defined a PPTP VPN connection between my laptop and my home DD-WRT router.

I think connecting the OBI to the Laptop using the bridge function would get a secure voice connection.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6164.msg39171#msg39171

giqcass

I see no reason why that setup wouldn't work assuming you have enough up/downstream bandwidth at home.  The tunnel should make it all secure between the two.  With additional complexity there might be a little lag but I'm sure it would be acceptable. 

rob613

Does using the 9-digit Obi number require enough data outside of the VPN create a risk?

But more significantly, what do you gain over a SIP softphone on the laptop or whatever modern equivalent of a Yap-phone - phone handset on USB cord?

And if going that route don't you get the opportunity to make a SIP to SIP call or use a directory only within a VPN-protected server?

If you are registering your SIP phone to a SIP-to-GV gateway you still get outbound dialing by GV, and just by registering the SIP phone to any SIP server you can get a PSTN line that GV can ring to and then call out from the GV web interface.   I don't think there is any problem doing this while traveling.

To stick with a hardware phone port, did you consider building one into the hardware firewall?     Or comparing exposure of unencrypted data using other hardware devices that bring out a phone port from a small device hanging off USB or Ethernet?