News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble with Google Voice

Started by Hollywood, January 12, 2013, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood

Hi,

I'm new here and tried to setup my OBI110 with my Google Voice account.

I get the status: "Backing Off".
I tried everything in the 4 steps listed for that status.

I *think* the problem is that my account email address is yadayada@roadrunner.com instead of a gmail address.

Has anyone been able to make this work with a Google Voice account with other then a gmail address? I did create a gmail address and started a new google voice account and it DID connect, but I wanted the phone number from my first account.

Any ideas? I already tried to change the GV account's email to my new gmail one, but it said it couldn't be a gmail address.

Thanks for any help!

Hollywood

Thanks, but as I stated, none of those 4 steps helped or was the issue.

I setup a second GV account that has a gmail email address that works, but my first GV account was setup with my roadrunner email address. There's not that many options, so I think not being a gmail logon name is the issue.

My questions still are, can you use OBI110 and GV where the account name is not a gmail email address? and anyone have any other ideas on this? It's not that critical, but I would like to use the phone number I am used to.

thanks again!

Rick

Quote from: Hollywood on January 12, 2013, 05:37:42 PM
Thanks, but as I stated, none of those 4 steps helped or was the issue.

I setup a second GV account that has a gmail email address that works, but my first GV account was setup with my roadrunner email address. There's not that many options, so I think not being a gmail logon name is the issue.

My questions still are, can you use OBI110 and GV where the account name is not a gmail email address? and anyone have any other ideas on this? It's not that critical, but I would like to use the phone number I am used to.

thanks again!

Apparently you did not click on Click Here on that page.

Special Cases
Non '@gmail' Account Usernames
To make sure you have a Gmail account associated to your Google Voice account, select the "Gmail" link in the upper left corner of the Google Voice application window.
If you already have a Gmail account, then you will be automatically forwarded to the Gmail application. If not, you will be taken through the Gmail sign-up process and given access to www.gmail.com, once this is completed.
To confirm the Gmail email address association, log in to Google Voice here: www.google.com/voice.  Next, select your email address in the top right corner.   A drop-down menu will appear.  Select "Account Settings."  Here you will be able to verify this email address is your "Primary email". Note the screenshot below, where it shows how your "Primary email" is displayed.

MikeHObi

Not clear from your post. So you personal email that you access through gmail.  Is there a google voice associated with that one?

When you go to your "account" in google is yadayada@roadrunner.com listed as the "primary" account?

Did you see section d of the linked faq, and then the webpage that links you to which is
http://www.obihai.com/GoogleVoiceUG.htm#_Toc296360951

It seems to apply directly to your configuration.  Note the points that non-gmail.com  email accounts must have made a call using gchat.
Quote– Non-Gmail usernames derived from the usage of a Google applications account should work fine with an OBi device as long as it has made a call from within Gmail chat.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Hollywood

THANK YOU TO ALL!!!

Really, I did read and try all of the 4 items listed, but some of the screens might have changed, and I couldn't change the name on my account to a gmail address I had signed up for. You guys, especially Rick showed me I needed to have a gmail account (like I suspected), so I tried again to follow the instructions. It wouldn't let me add  the gmail address I already had, but I could make up a new one. THAT WORKED!

I'm sure a lot of the problems were "me", but it's solved and I can use my OBI with the number I wanted.

Thanks again  :)

Rick