News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help - How do I speed dial? What am I missing?

Started by Mainephotonut, January 14, 2013, 05:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainephotonut

I've tried everything but I don't understand how to setup and then actually DIAL a speed dial number. What do I do?  ???

N7AS

To dial a speed dial, just enter the speed dial number followed by #. Example 1#, 2#... 13# Etc.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Felix

It's a little more complex (and cumbersome) than it seems. And clearly, documentation isn't very helpful. First, there are two places where you can set up speed dial: on the device itself, and on the portal. Unlike all other OBi features, speed dials on the portal are shared across devices. So, if you generally control your device from the portal, speed dials will be pushed as well. Note, that 1 and 99 are not available as speed dial numbers.

In many cases, your VSP also allows to set up speed dials, complicating things even more.

With that in mind - tell us more, how did you set up speed dials?

Strictly speaking, # is not relevant to speed dial topic. However, if you don't press #, OBi will wait for ~7 seconds before it concludes that you finished dialing (See "Matching Against Multiple Rules in Digit Map" in Admin guide - one of few chapters that is actually written reasonably well). So you may as well press # to let the device know that you are done...

Prozie99

Here are basic non technical example for adding numbers on Obi's Speed Dial web page. Will show an example for ID# (speed dial) 4

Name: MY Mom (or another description)

Number 1 234 567 8910 would be entered as 12345678910 (i.e. no spaces)

Save changes then enter the 4# on your phone (the next number would require 5# , and so on)

Also, on your PC you can paste phone number from Google Voice Contacts webpage into the Obi Speed Dial web page and then save them there. I plan to retain my GV Contacts since GV doesn't care if I exceed the Obi limit of 99. For anything over 98, you can always paste a less frequently used GV number into the 99th space without saving if you'd much rather paste a number  instead of manually dialing it.

Prozie99

Correction: You'd have to Save that 99th number (see my previous posted reply) but, of course, you can reuse that space again and again.

DonJ

Quote from: N7AS on January 14, 2013, 09:17:42 PM
To dial a speed dial, just enter the speed dial number followed by #. Example 1#, 2#... 13# Etc.

Thanks from me too. I set up the speed dial numbers, that's easy. But documentation on dialing them is hard to locate, probably missed it. As mom used to say: If it was a dog it would bite you.

RFord

Just an FYI:  You do not need the # after the number for the call to go through.  I say this because if you pick up the handset and get dial tone and dial 4, it will eventually dial the speed dial number programmed in slot 4.  Dialing # makes the call go out immediately.  However, if you pause too long after entering the first digit or the first two digits that so happens to correspond to one of the Speed Dial slots (4 or 44 for example), then the speed dial will kick in.  The point is, get into the habit of dialing a number before hitting dial/talk button, otherwise you will be getting a lot of mis-dialed calls!

carthian

it does not happen for me, it says 'we could not complete your call, please try again" and this voice is the typical google voice girl. now as default i am using my LAN line as a default dialer, to use google voice i have to press **1 to select it, and then i dial 4# for speed dial and i the the error 'we could not complete your call, please try again" ,,,   what am i missing.??

zapattack

The speed dial entry would include the **1 (before whatever else you want to dial).
That is why it is called speed dial.
Check entry 1 on the SD list for an example. It should be for an Obi number and begin **9....

RAAK

Quote from: N7AS on January 14, 2013, 09:17:42 PM

"N7AS" Simple & Excellent response. Worked perfect for me. Thank you.

RFord

Note:  You don't necessarily have to dial the "#" after the speed dial number, although doing so allows for the call to "go out" (dialed) immediately!