News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV for Landline security verification?

Started by Peterluger, January 16, 2013, 09:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterluger

I am planning to port my landline to Google voice.

Now just want to know, in the future can i use that GV line to verify those security check?

You know sometime to activate my credit card thing?

Like when i receive my credit card, it ask u to call from home to activate? Can i still do that if i port my landline to GV and link to my obi. If i call fr my obi, will i able to activate those security check?

Emagin

Your question is not 100% clear to me but I *think* you are asking:
Will banks and other high security entities 'trust' my Gvoice number.

I can answer yes. I have use Gvoice both from Gmail/Gtalk PC with microphone (3 years) and with ObiTalk 202 / Gvoice as my primary phone and all calls to big banks, amex and such work, including card verification (although I have only done this twice sofar).

Hope that helps.

Quote from: Peterluger on January 16, 2013, 09:48:44 AM
Like when i receive my credit card, it ask u to call from home to activate? Can i still do that if i port my landline to GV and link to my obi. If i call fr my obi, will i able to activate those security check?
---
Obi-202

Rick

I am planning to port my landline to Google voice.

Now just want to know, in the future can i use that GV line to verify those security check?

You know sometime to activate my credit card thing?

Your bank has no idea where your phone number is, so if you sign up for a credit card with a cell phone and are in Arizona that day they'll verify to you in Arizona.  Likewise your GV number works fine.

giqcass

I verified two on Google Voice in the last 3 months.  I can say that I have had problems with automated systems when I made the call from Gmail on the computer.  Touch tone issues.  Not a problem when using the Obi however.
Long live our new ObiLords!

psuPete

When I have used GV from my laptop with builtin speaker and using the keyboard, I believe I've had problems.  I think if I place the speaker in MOOT while pressing the keyboard, things are better.

Alternatively, perhaps using a wired headset.

On my Android devices, I have a system setting for DTMF selected as LONG.

/Pete

Peterluger

Quote from: Emagin on January 16, 2013, 09:57:51 AM
Your question is not 100% clear to me but I *think* you are asking:
Will banks and other high security entities 'trust' my Gvoice number.

I can answer yes. I have use Gvoice both from Gmail/Gtalk PC with microphone (3 years) and with ObiTalk 202 / Gvoice as my primary phone and all calls to big banks, amex and such work, including card verification (although I have only done this twice sofar).

Hope that helps.

yeah, that what i mean, since i am living at my address/ landline for so long. I always see card company send me the update credit card or replacement card and ask me to activate fr my "home phone"? I guess they do reverse look up number? to verify?

I was planning to keep my landline, but verizon (my landline provider) are so freaking crazy!
My home phone recently have no signal, and when i call them, they telling me it would cost me $100 initially to come to check, and additionally $100 for first hours if they need to come into my apt to fix the issue, and then every additional 30mins cost anothter $$$....!

That's the reason finally i give up my landline.

Lavarock7

My guess is that the credit card company wants a "home phone" to call in so they can capture that number for security reasons. I believe that number you call is a toll free number and thus your home number is sent to them whether you block it or not.

If someone calls from a different number, more questions may be asked to assure the caller is the card holder.

A cellphone might be stolen from a card holder and be in motion, where a home phone is hard to steal.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Rick

Quote from: psuPete on January 16, 2013, 02:32:13 PM
When I have used GV from my laptop with builtin speaker and using the keyboard, I believe I've had problems.  I think if I place the speaker in MOOT while pressing the keyboard, things are better.

Alternatively, perhaps using a wired headset.

On my Android devices, I have a system setting for DTMF selected as LONG.

/Pete

Mute?

Rick