News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi mysteriously goes into "there is no service available" mode

Started by BillDoe, January 16, 2013, 12:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillDoe

I have had this problem for a long time, but much more frequently in the past month. Since I don't use my landline (Obi) every day, I can't tell you how often this occurs.

I will go to make a call and get the message. Is there any way to be notified via email, whatever, when service goes down? Does it impact whether i can still get voicemails if people c all during the down time?

I don't believe it is an internet service interruption because I'm my wife is online all day and she'd know the moment it went down.

darinf

I am having the exact same problem. My Obi disconnects on it's own about 3 or more times per day. It even will disconnect mid phone call.

I have contact Obihai support and they told me to connect my OBi110 to a switch and then the switch to  my router. They said they also made some changes to my Obi110, but nothing has helped at all. I've tried everything support suggested.

Now support won't  even respond to me. I guess they have given up.

The strange thing is that I have had this Obi110 for a long time and never had a problem. Since the end of last year, it has been disconnecting all the time.

It would be great to at least be notified when it's disconnected and notify Obihai so they can try to fix the problem.

Often I don't know it's disconnected and my phone just doesn't ring.

There must be other people having the same problem.

CheapPhone

Yes I have this too, on an Obi202 device, after the Google Voice issues/update on their voicemail pin needed security issues (see other threads).

Not sure if this is because our device is faulty or something does not match with the new Google Voice changes (even though I have updated to the new firmware 3.0.1 for Obi202).

I am using a Verizon Stratosphere II (415 not the 405!) 4G LTE mobile hotspot wireless for the Obi202 which has an ObiWiFi USB adapter. Other networking connection (laptop using wireless) are fine.

Its very annoying as I may miss phone calls. I need manually reset the Obi202 by using ***9 and then 1 to confirm from my phone. After few times of such, the connection comes back and the no voice service goes away.

Anyone else? Ideas? ObiHai people whom may respond to this?

Thanks!

Cheap

MikeHObi

Have a OBI 202 connected via ethernet directly to a router which is directly connected to a cable modem.  No wireless involved.  And it's been working with google voice all along.

When looking for reliable internet connections, a wifi connection to a LTE hot spot is not high on my list for reliable internet connections.

I know the 202 can log details to a syslog device.  It may be worth it to setup a local syslog server and have the obi send it's activity logs to it.  And see if you can see anything in the log that indicates any trouble the obi is having.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

BillDoe

Still having the issue despite numerous responses from support to "change this or reconfigure that." It has been online all day today but we'll see if its online tomorrow morning....

CheapPhone

I do have other devices connected to the LTE network. Yes, you may think its not reliable. But I have made numerous experiments, including having my laptop also connected. Laptop internet works, Obi does not connect to Google Voice (but does show solid green on the network side... and on the web it shows as connected). Both phone lines are not connected.

It happens in front of me just now... all of a sudden, the two green solid lines of the two phone connections came up. It will work like that and then will again disappear.

Internet should no be thought of always perfect. There are ways to retry sends, retry connections etc. If this is a design default its a problem. If this can be fixed with a firmware patch, I.e. to enable reconnects to the internet in set intervals, then maybe this can solve it.

But, I can tell you I have manually tried to resent the box (disconnected power and waiting for device to reboot), and no help. It wont connect to Google Voice though it does show connection to the internet.

Maybe my Obi202 is faulty. I bought it through Amazon and already sent a request to replace both the ObiWIFI adapter and the Ovi202 device (my 30 day money back/exchange ends on Feb 1st, so I cannot risk and wait any longer... ).

I should get the new device end of the week. I hope this will help.

By the way, this did NOT do it before! It was OK and all worked fine!!!

I.e. same 4G LTE network and all, same Ovi202/WIFI connecting through the Mobile Hotspot. Was leaving it all night, no problem. In the morning all worked fine....

So this started happening just around the security issue with the Voicemail Google took action to make changes for (including that now we need use pin code to access the google voicemail and we can no longer know if new voicemail is available through my cordless phone - shuttered dial tone / etc).

So there were changes that made my device not working as before.....

Thanks!

Cheap

BillDoe

My 110 has been working for the past 48 hours so I thought I'd compile the suggestions I got from Obi Support and each of you can try what you wish from them:

• Make sure that you see power LED shows solid green. Verify that Ethernet cable is securely connected, and you are seeing link light on your router's port where OBi connects to. Try a different Ethernet cable. Reboot your router as well.

• Call **9 222 222 222 to reach the echo test. This needs to work first.

• If the call above doesn't work, put your OBi in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration. (I found this for my Cisco/Linksys router under Security settings). Under destination address, select MAC address and enter your OBi's MAC address (listed on the bottom of the OBi device).

• Also, if OBi is connected to a 100Mbit port, force it to use 100Mbit Full duplex:

1. Dial *** 0
      2. Enter option 27 and press #
      3. Press 1 to set a new value
      4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
      5. Press 1 to confirm/save
      6. Hang up

• Login to your OBi's local webpage. Go to -> System Management -> Network Settings. For parameter "DNSServer1", put the value = 4.2.2.2. (I have an orange "!" symbol next to the box but Obi says this is OK and normal). Click Submit.

• Reboot your router so setting is remembered

darinf

Thanks for the tips BillDoe, but I had already done all of that except I had "DNS Server 1" set to 4.2.2.1 and "DNS Server 2" set to 4.2.2.2.
(BTW, even with all the settings above, I am still getting disconnected a few times per day.)

Should I switch the DNS Server values? Or should I make it so both DNS Servers are 4.2.2.2?

darinf

Well, I switched the DNS Server settings so 1 was set to 4.2.2.2 and 2 was set to 4.2.2.1.

I was just on a phone call and the OBI110 disconnected on me mid call. Bummer.

I guess I can try setting both to 4.2.2.2 and see if that makes any difference.

BillDoe

Mine is set at 4.2.2.2 for DNS1 and 8.8.8.8 for DNS2.

The other thing I changed was I assigned the Obi device as "high priority" in my router settings if you have that option.

darinf

I changed my DNS settings to match yours.

Still same problem. This morning my OBi110 was disconnected. >:(

Oh well. It was good while it lasted. Now I need to find another option...I guess I'll have to go back to using my Ooma. It has been pretty much rock solid.

QBZappy

darinf,

At this point I would start over with a reset of the unit. If you do reset, type in all the customizations from scratch. Plug the Obi directly to the modem to eliminate the router as a problem. You couldn't be the only one having this problem.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

BillDoe

QBZappy - glad you joined the discussion -I know you're an expert in these matters.

This is a constant source of frustration, as my device has once again decided to randomly and repeatedly go offline for no apparent reason. I had a solid 3-4 days, but yesterday and today, offline multiple times. It is connected directly to my router. I cannot connect to the modem as it has one Ethernet port and that feeds the router, which in turn feeds many devices. Here is what I have done so far, all recommended by Obi support:

1. Forced it to use 100Mbit Full duplex
2. Given the Obi high priority status over all other devices on my router
3. Configured the DMZ setting using the MAC address specific to the Obi on my router
4. Changed DNSServer1 to 4.2.2.2 as recommended by support
5. Updated firmware

Ideas? Does a factory reset mean I have to remember all the special changes they suggested?

I have to get this resolved....I took the time and trouble of getting my 911 service set up on these phones. If there's a fire, I can't pick up the phone and here "there is no....service....available...." I am also becoming increasingly hesitant to give this number out, since I don't know from day to day if it will be working.

QBZappy

Quote from: BillDoe on February 01, 2013, 06:48:47 AM
Ideas? Does a factory reset mean I have to remember all the special changes they suggested?

Unfortunately the surest way is to write everything over. If you go that route make sure you write down or copy paste to notepad everything that is not default setting.

I would also back up the config just in case, as it can be read using MS excel.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

BillDoe

Quote from: QBZappy on February 01, 2013, 07:11:08 AM

Unfortunately the surest way is to write everything over. If you go that route make sure you write down or copy paste to notepad everything that is not default setting.

I would also back up the config just in case, as it can be read using MS excel.

By write everything over do mean factory reset? Are there any other options I haven't tried before I go that route?

Also, how do you backup the config?

QBZappy

Yes I mean a factory reset. A factory reset is generally a measure of last resort because it involves some effort in setting up the config from scratch.

System Management
    Network Settings
    Auto Provisioning
    Device Admin
    Device Update ->Backup Configuration (This file can be read using MS excel)

Before doing a factory reset you should make certain that you have the lastest firmware installed. Some users say that a firmware update fixes things.

This is a constant source of frustration, as my device has once again decided to randomly and repeatedly go offline for no apparent reason.
Do you mean offline in the OBiTALK portal? If that is what you mean, that portal is an unrealiable mechanism to verify if the OBi unit is active. I have seen my units offline in the portal many times, however my units are functional using the sip and GV services. It may mean that the OBiTALK service is down (not sure about that).

BillDoe

Quote from: QBZappy on February 01, 2013, 09:45:58 AM
Yes I mean a factory reset. A factory reset is generally a measure of last resort because it involves some effort in setting up the config from scratch.

System Management
    Network Settings
    Auto Provisioning
    Device Admin
    Device Update ->Backup Configuration (This file can be read using MS excel)

Before doing a factory reset you should make certain that you have the lastest firmware installed. Some users say that a firmware update fixes things.

This is a constant source of frustration, as my device has once again decided to randomly and repeatedly go offline for no apparent reason.
Do you mean offline in the OBiTALK portal? If that is what you mean, that portal is an unrealiable mechanism to verify if the OBi unit is active. I have seen my units offline in the portal many times, however my units are functional using the sip and GV services. It may mean that the OBiTALK service is down (not sure about that).

Offline as in all three of these things occur:
1. The internet light on the device flashes very rapidly, not like during normal operation
2. The icon in the Obitalk portal turns brown
3. I get the "no service available" recording when attempting a call

QBZappy

Quote from: BillDoe on February 01, 2013, 11:27:25 AM

Offline as in all three of these things occur:
1. The internet light on the device flashes very rapidly, not like during normal operation

This means the unit is likely at fault. Until this is resolved the unit will not function. When the OBi202 first came out, I had what I suspected close calls to bricking the unit. The following instructions is a tested way to properly reset the unit to factory defaults if that is what you intend to do.

How to properly factory reset:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3252.msg26406#msg26406

NateMorriss

Quote from: QBZappy on January 30, 2013, 01:52:01 PM
You couldn't be the only one having this problem.

I'm having very similar problems.  The device needs to be reset multiple times a day, LED blinks fast, no service; very frustrating.  I would say it was the last firmware update but I was having trouble before, it just got even worse after the update....

NATE

BillDoe

Well Obi has formally given up on my issue - their last email suggested I use another router....I have a brand new Cisco E4200!!

All my other connected devices work perfectly....sure, it must be the router.