News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 No longer working with TWC after switching modems

Started by Bubba, January 21, 2013, 10:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me with my problem.  My Obi100 was working fine with Google Voice integration until I was forced by Time Warner Cable to switch modems.  Rather than pay the $4 monthly charge to rent their modem, I dug out my old Motorola Surfboard SBG900 modem, and I'm using it with a D-Link router. 

Because the Surfboard SBG900 modem is a "modem" and a "wireless B/G router" in one, I had to disable the wireless functionality of the modem so that I could take advantage of the faster "N" speeds my D-Link Router could handle.  That and resolve the conflict of having two wireless devices fighting for control of my network.  My D-Link router also provides extra ports I need to support my Airave (Sprint), and Roku. 

But ever since I added this older modem and router combination, my Obi100 device doesn't work.  Can anyone suggest solutions to this problem?

MikeHObi

I think the problem is that your two device are fighting with each other.  The SBG900 as far google could tell me is not capable of acting as a bridge, I can't see away to disable the wifi, and in general seems to be pretty restrictive.  By itself it would probably be no problem, but with your new router, you're gonna have to configure the new one to stay out of the way of the older one.

I.e. turn off the D-Link router use of the B and G frequencies and have it be N only.  Turn off DHCP and NAT on your D-Link router, leaving it on the SBG900.  Turn off any firewall on the D-Link, the SBG900 has one of those as well. It is that firewall that may be causing you issues with your Obi.  Make sure your d-link router gets a static IP address and the SBG900 should be issuing out the DHCP leases.    You may need to use the NAT pass through of the SBG900.  There you can enter the Obi's MAC address and tell it to add it as a DMZ client.  That will essentially put the obi directly on the net.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

The D-Link should be assigned a static IP address. Try putting the D-Link Routers IP address  in DMZ on the Motorola Surfboard SBG900. DHCP can be turned off on the Surfboard or left on.  Turning it off may prevent conflicts.  The D-link will use the IP address of the surfboard as it's gateway address. Also make sure the two routers aren't causing conflicts by being on the same subnet.  If one uses 192.168.1.1  then put the other on 192.168.2.1.  They can use the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
Use your cable companies DNS servers or use Google's open DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on the D-link.
Allow the D-link to serve DHCP as normal or if you like set up static addresses.  
Long live our new ObiLords!

Bubba

Thanks for the replies guys. 

My one chance for hope was putting the Obi's MAC address in the DMZ of the modem (NAT pass through), but that didn't work. 

As for the subnet issue, I solved it earlier by making my modem 192.168.100.1 and making my router 192.168.0.101.  That got my other wireless devices connected to the internet just fine (at "N" speeds, so I know I'm connected to the router and not the modem).  The only holdout is the Obi device.

MikeHobi, the SBG900 is issuing the DHCP leases already, but giqcass, you're saying to have the router serve the DHCP.  If I turn DHCP "on" on the router, wouldn't that cause a conflict between the two devices?

Felix

As much as I hate those integrated modem/routers, I wasn't able to turn off router on my modem either (that is, put it in the bridge mode). I turned off wireless on the modem, but turned my router into Access Point - that is, turned off routing capabilities on the router. I am still mourning this defeat - but I think anything else would cause even more problems...

Bubba

Hi Felix,

I had already turned off wireless on the modem and turned the router into the Access Point in order to get all my other devices working.  I just don't know why my Obi device isn't working.  It's got two solid green lights and was able to update it's firmware.  I can see it connected to my modem through the administrator portal. 

Maybe it's time to suck it up and buy another modem...

MikeHObi

giqcass trying to have the d-link act independent so it gets it's own connection to the net, and then your SBG900 has it's own connection. 

That is certainly something to try.  By sticking the d-link in the SBG900's DMZ, all data through the port to the D-Link should flow straight through and not touch the firewall or nat routing inside the SBG900.

Usually a home network has netmask of 255.255.255.0 which means all ip addresses on that network must have the same 3 values, with only the last changing.  your two routers should have the same IP network, and the SBG900 network cable should be plugged into a standard switch port on the d-link, not the WAN port. (Wan ports are tied to routing.  If both devices are on the same network you need switching, not routing, typically routing is only needed between the cable companies network and your home network, thus is already handled by the SBG900).

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

Log into your Obi and make sure it is using 192.168.0.101 as the gateway address.   Also make sure it is either finding a DNS server or assign the ones i listed above.

The setup I was suggesting was intended to be used with the devices on different subnets to avoid conflicts.  DHCP on or off is no problem. I also intended the WAN port on the Dlink be connected to the LAN port on the modem.  It can be done as MikeHobi suggested LAN to LAN but then both devices should be on the same subnet with Dlink DHCP off.  

I have set up my networks in both ways and for my equipment LAN to WAN on different subnets gave better results.

If I were a betting man I would say the obi is using a self assigned APIPA or AVAHI style address right now.

Bubba

Hi guys,

Thanks for your continued contribution to my problem solving issue.  I wanted to let you know that I bit the bullet and bought a stand alone modem, the SB6141, and should have that shortly.  By eliminating one issue (the two wireless devices fighting for each other), I hope to have my Obi working again.

But while I'm waiting for that modem to arrive next week, I tried some of the suggestions you guys said below (but still unsuccessful). 

1) I went into the Obi expert settings and changed my gateway address to 192.168.0.101.
2) The Obi is pulling a DNS server from my ISP automatically.
3) DHCP is "on" on my modem's WAN settings page.
4) NAT is "enabled" on my modem's LAN settings page.
5) My router's WAN and LAN MAC addresses are both in the DMZ of the modem.
6) The subnet mask for Modem, Router and Obi are all set to 255.255.255.0
7) The modem is plugged into one of the four LAN ports on the DLINK router.
8) DHCP is "off" on my router's WAN settings.
9) Firewalls are off on both the router and modem.
10) The OBI's MAC address is in the DMZ of the modem.

Still, I got nothing on the Obi, other than being able to see the device now on my "System Status" page (something that was not visible until I tried giqcass's suggestion of putting the Obi's gateway address as 192.168.0.101).  Some progress, I think...

giqcass

I still suspect the OBi is not getting a correct IP address.  The IP address of the Obi should be 192.168.0.xxx
with the xxx being a number between 1 and 254.  You are outside the subnet of the DHCP server and therefore it can not hear the service broadcast.  Assign the Obi a manual IP address something like 192.168.0.133 that won't be in conflict with addresses already assigned to other devices.  If it still does not work consider also using the open DNS servers above in place of the DNS servers you have.