News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to hook up an Obi when my router ethernet port is already in use

Started by CreativeCakeLady, January 21, 2013, 06:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CreativeCakeLady

I would like to buy an obi100 or an obi110 but I'm not sure how I would hook it up to my router. The router that I have (an Apple airport express) has only one Ethernet port and it is being used to connect it to the modem. I don't know if it even can work this way, but it's not a good option to hook the Obi up to the modem as it is in a room that we done want the phone in. (the router has a long ethernet cable wired under the floor to reach it) Any ideas how to use an Obi with my set up?

giqcass

It sounds like your best bet is an Obi202 with a WiFi adapter.  It uses WiFi instead of the Ethernet port and you can stick it anywhere you want.  The WiFi adapter is sold separately from the Obi202 and it only works with the Obi202.

If you really wanted to use an Obi100 or Obi110 you could buy a gaming adapter but that may not produce the best results and probably would end up costing the same as the Obi202 plus WiFi adapter.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Felix

Hi CreativeCakeLady and welcome to the forum

I am not familiar with Apple products, but I gather from Amazon that there is Base station that has two Ethernet ports, and Airport Express that isn't really a router by itself. So what do you have?

In most cases router has a wired port (that allows it to actually route). I know there was Fon that was an exception, and Apple always is an exception... but it's still hard to believe. Do you have extra Ethernet ports on the modem (which would indicate that modem has a built-in router)? If modem has a built-in router, then you could plug a simple switch where the long cable comes up from under the carpet, and plug Airport express in one port, and OBi into another. Or, as giqcass suggested have an OBi202 with WiFi

drakahn

if you have WiFi you can always set up a router that has WiFi to add wired connections to your internet. the obi202 should also be able to do this, but im not sure how good your call quality will be.