News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions about setup new OBI110 device

Started by twinclouds, January 24, 2013, 12:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinclouds

Hi, I have been using asterisk/spa3102/GV for some time.  I just bought a obi110 device to try it out to see if it works better.  Here are a few questions hope to get answer.
(1) I want to use obi110 for GV call and another Betamax service for international calling.  Can I set up these services without an obi account?  I just want to have everything under my control.
(2) If I set up two SIP services (GV and Betamax), can I configure obi110 to select based on the number dialed?  E.g., if the number start with 011xxxxxxxxxxxx will go to Betamax and any other other number not start with 011 will go to GV?
If these questions has been asked before, sorry for my ignorance.  I just can not find these base on a simple search.
Thanks.

QBZappy

twinclouds,

Welcome,

Quote from: twinclouds on January 24, 2013, 12:47:25 PM
(1) I want to use obi110 for GV call and another Betamax service for international calling.  Can I set up these services without an obi account?  I just want to have everything under my control.
No OBi acct required. The OBi can operate as a stand alone unit. Note that you will not be able to use any of the OBi services if you want to remain the lone wolf.

Quote from: twinclouds on January 24, 2013, 12:47:25 PM
(2) If I set up two SIP services (GV and Betamax), can I configure obi110 to select based on the number dialed?  E.g., if the number start with 011xxxxxxxxxxxx will go to Betamax and any other other number not start with 011 will go to GV?

The dial plan can be set up to dial that way.

PS:
Are you the "HOW-TO: Setup Asterisk 1.8/gtalk on Dockstar/Debian"  twinclouds?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

twinclouds

QBZappY:
Thank you for your quick response.  Yes, I am the one who wrote the "How to ... for Dockstar" post.  I have been resisting using Obi devices because Asterisk served me pretty well.  Now at $40 dollars, I think it worth a try.  It may also be used as a backup of the 3102, which is even more expensive.
Now for setting up the obi110, all I have found out by googling was was that I need to log into OBITalk website and configure from there.  The questions was if I can directly do that from the web interface of the device through a browser.  As like some other people, I am not particularly fond of submitting the credentials of my SIP and GV accounts on line.  It is not really that a big deal but if possible I just want to avoid doing that.  Can you point me to where such information are available for set up the GV/SIP accounts and the dial plan?  As you know, I am a kind familiar with Asterisk and ATAs but I only got my obi device today.  It is very new to me.  Any help to save me time in finding such information will be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
Again, thanks in advance.
Twinclouds

QBZappy

twinclouds,

Quote from: twinclouds on January 24, 2013, 06:00:53 PM
Any help to save me time in finding such information will be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
Read any number of posts from RonR or Ianobi. That should cut a few hours off the learning curve. You haven't mentioned any specifics of what you want to set up. Start with Ianobi. He is active in the forum and a nice guy all around.

The unit is 100% configurable without need of the OBiTALK portal. Note that all changes to your unit will be over written if you don't disable the following settings:
System Management->Auto Provisioning->Auto Firmware Update->Method = Disable
ITSP Provisioning-> Disable
OBiTalk Provisioning-> Disable
Voice Services->OBiTALK Service->Enable checkbox (Leave blank)

Note you may change your mind at any time and change above mentioned switches.

There are a few gotchas along the way. Use different profiles for each service provider that you will use.
ieVoice Services:
SP1 Service->X_ServProvProfile = A
SP2 Service->X_ServProvProfile = B

Yes, I am the one who wrote the "How to ... for Dockstar" post.  I have been resisting using Obi devices because Asterisk served me pretty well.  

It's a small world. I can't wait to see your next "How to" on how to install Samba (or whatever) on the OBi.

I have been resisting using Obi devices...

"Resistance is futile"
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

twinclouds,

Here is ianobi's poor mans PBX setup. How does it compare to an Asterisk+FreePBX setup? Don't forget that the OBi can be used as a Sip and GV trunk if you ever decide to keep the Asterisk server.

Using Any OBi as a Home PBX
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4944.msg31966#msg31966

twinclouds

QBZappy:
This looks good.  Actually, I took a short cut by using the portal to do an initial set up.  Now looked at the result, I have an idea how the configuration should look like after the set up is done.  Of course, iandobi's how to is more detailed.  I learned a lot from it also.
The only problem I have is I cannot let any 01186 call automatically go to SP2.  I replied an old thread to see if I can some answers soon.
Thank you very much for pointing me to the right directions.
Twinclouds
[Edit:] I found the problem was that the my modification in digimap was overwritten as you warned me before.  After did what you suggested and set the <**2> prefix.  The call was routed correctly.  Thanks again for your insight.  Now, one question I have is if I not register this device on obitalk portal, will the resetting still happen?

QBZappy

twinclouds,

I'm certain it is too soon for an opinion, but I'm curious to know what your impressions are of the OBi vs using a PBX solution like Asterisk. Considering your previous work (and effort) with Asterisk. There are at least three OBi forum members (yourself, Mango, and of course Ward Mundy) who have written "How to" articles on how to embed Asterisk on routers or other boards.

I'm wondering if you think this is a step up, or if Asterisk was overkill for a home based solution. Perhaps the fact that GV is embedded in the OBi was the deciding factor, or curiosity just got the better of you.

twinclouds

Hi, QBZappy:
I have been using the obi110 for a couple of days now.  Overall, I am pretty happy to use it as a home telephone system for US (GV) and International (Betamax) calling.  I don't see it has anything worse than Asterisk/ATA set-up and use for that purpose, especially for less technically oriented people.  Another advantage I found is that this obi box is very power efficient.  My Kill-A-Watt meter shows it only consumes about 1 Watt idle and flashing between 1 to 2 Watts during a call.  Normally, A Dockstar and a Linksys ATA will consume 4-6 watts together.  It is probably not much but at least is "greener"  ;).  Today, if I just want to have a system for such purpose, I will probably simply use obi devices.  When I did the work with asterisk, I don't think I have much choice then.
I probably don't know this device too well yet but if you want to have a PBX system has multiple extensions, I feel a Asterisk based system will be more powerful and flexible to configure.  For example, as I learned from a friend of mine, it is pretty straightforward to build virtual distributed telephone network based on ATAs/softphones and an Asterisk PBX by using internet as the backbone.  The terminals can be distributed anywhere in the world.  Anybody has access to internet can make calls through GV and call each other.  His network for his friends and family members is quite reliable as long as the country where the user located does not interfere sip operations.  For example, this could happen in China.  I don't know if obi can do the same thing.  If it can, it will probably need to go through obitalk network.  In such a case, an Asterisk system will probably be more powerful and cost less.  Of course the operator will have more control over it as well.  There might also be a security advantage but this can go either ways.
As for why I am interested in the obi device, mainly it is for curiosity.  After working in Telecommunication industry for about 30 years, I decided to retire last June.  Even though I still doing some consulting work, I have extra time spent on my hobbies.  Computer and electronics are what I have been interested in all my life time.  I would like to play with such gadgets whenever and whatever available.
I will keep you posted if I have anything new to report.
Twinclouds

QBZappy

Quote from: twinclouds on January 26, 2013, 05:57:06 PM
For example, as I learned from a friend of mine, it is pretty straightforward to build virtual distributed telephone network based on ATAs/softphones and an Asterisk PBX by using internet as the backbone.  The terminals can be distributed anywhere in the world.  Anybody has access to internet can make calls through GV and call each other. 

I believe the premise behind the OBiTALK network using individual OBi units as terminals is designed for world wide domination of the voip industry. At least that is what obihai would be hoping for. You will soon learn that each unit is actually designed to be a gateway for another OBi ATA/OBiAPP soft phone. As a matter of fact you can use a variety of different end points to communicate with someone. PSTN, ATA, voip soft phone, even a native GTALK client. When using GV/GTALK the OBi is actually operating as a XMPP to sip gateway. Using SipToSis (http://www.mhspot.com/sts/siptosis.html) it can even be used as a SIP/XMPP to Skype Gateway.

Quote from: twinclouds on January 26, 2013, 05:57:06 PM
I don't know if obi can do the same thing.  If it can, it will probably need to go through obitalk network.

For simplicity, the OBiTALK network is the preferred way to go. However direct calling ATA to ATA, or any combination of softphone client to OBi ATA is possible. No server is involved (P2P).

If your needs are relatively simple the OBi ATA will do. Each unit can be considered a separate building block. Just like a child's lego set, in the hands of a skilled person a system could be built up around these units (with some effort).

Let the journey begin. Enjoy.

BEST-
QBZappy

twinclouds

QBZappy:
Interesting.  I certainly want to explore these aspects more.  Now, let's suppose I want to use a notebook and my Android phone somewhere in the US or abroad to connect to the obi110 device at home.  I want to call a phone number in the US through my obi110 as the gateway and GV.  Assume my obi110 is connected to the internet and I know the ip address of my hope router.  I can also forward the necessary ports to the obi device.  On the other hand, it is not registered to obitalk portal.  What I should do?  Do you know anything written up in the Forum or elsewhere to explain that?
I have installed the ObiApp but the first thing it asked me to do is to log in.  It asked me UserID and Password.  Since I didn't registered to ObiTalk, what are my userID and password? 
A step by step "How-To" will really be helpful if it has already been written.
Interested to hear from you.
Twinclouds

QBZappy

Well you asked for it. Here are a few must read articles/posts. Short of reading the Admin Guide, you should get some useful ideas from real life set ups referred to in these reference links.

SIP URI direct calling
Re: OBI202 - Unregistered Direct IP Dialing
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5013.msg32331#msg32331

Here is the direct SIP calling version that is independent of OBiTALK.
Re: Extending an anlogue pbx extension using Obi's
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2459.msg33156#msg33156

This setup uses the OBiTALK network
Master / Slave Setup – the Simple Version
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5076.msg32750#msg32750

This setup is for outgoing with sip providers that do not need to be registered to.    
Re: Voice Gateway setup
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4977.msg32161#msg32161

One How to using SIP to SIS (Skype calling with OBi)
USE SKYPE ON YOUR OBI: A HOW-TO GUIDE
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3920.msg25912#msg25912

RonR (guru on topic)
Technical : DigitMaps and the OutboundCallRoute
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=513.msg3001#msg3001

You see, I can go on and on. That should be enough material to get you started.

twinclouds

Interesting reading but I don't think these address what I want to do, though.  Thanks anyway.