News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can Obibt do everything that a Xlink can?

Started by squiggy, January 31, 2013, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squiggy

I currently own an Obi110 and am planning to "upgrade" to an Obi202 with ObiBT because after reading the description I thought the ObiBT/Obi202 would provide me with all the capabilites of an Xlink BT Bluetooth Gateway and more with adding the ability to merge my VOIP and cellular lines to my cordless phone system. 

However I came across the review Quoted below from Amazon which really confuses me as to what the ObiBT will do.  For those of you with an ObiBT, does an Obi202/ ObiBT do everything that a Xlink BT Bluetooth Gateway will do AND add the ability to also merge my VOIP lines with cellular?

Thanks for helping me to clear this up!

AMAZON CUSTOMER REVIEW

Might not be what you think, November 28, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: OBiBT Bluetooth Adapter for Pairing the OBi202 with a Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I bought this expecting a Dock and Talk / Xlink type functionality for the Obi. Since I have been using that for a number of years it seemed logical for me to think that was what it was.

What it is, is simply a bluetooth connection from the obi to your cellphone, to use instead of your voip provider. You will be limited to the same set up options as for any other voip provider. It won't use your cell as a "second line" like you can do with many cordless phone systems. For that you will still need a cordless phone with the bluetooth feature or a Dock and Talk or Xlink. Setup will be interesting because it seems like the obi would be switching phone numbers when it calls out depending on whether the cell is connected or not.

Reading back over the description, now knowing what it is, the description is correct,

Use Your Regular Telephones to Make and Receive Calls via Your Mobile Phone's Cellular Service
When Someone Calls Your Cell Phone Number the Phones Connected to the OBi Device Ring
Cell Phone Dead Spots? Keep Your Obi Device & Mobile Phone Where Cell Reception is Best!
Automatically or Manually Route Calls from Standard Phones to the Mobile Service
Bridge Calls from VoIP to a Mobile Service Using the Obi Attendant

But for me at least, if you are expecting something like the cordless feature, it isn't hard to see that the description might be for that as well. YMMV :)

giqcass

The Obi202 with BT can do a lot more then the Xlink.  It sounds like the person doesn't know how to use it. The primary downside of the OBi202 with BT is only one BT phone can be connected at a time.  It appears OBi is going to make it possible to do 2 BT phones if you have 2 BT adapters but I'm not sure if that feature is working yet as I don't have 2 BT adapters.

The OBi can do just about anything you can imagine if you are willing to do advanced setups.  I have dug into some of the complicated stuff.  I was able to automatically pass calls from my cell phone to the Obion app, to Skype, to other phone numbers. (All at the same time) 

Taking a call is as easy as picking up the cordless phone.  Making a call from your cell phone depends on how you set the OBi up.  You can have the calls go through the cell phone all the time.  You could have only certain numbers dialed through the cell phone.  You could select which phone to use by *codes.  You can tell it to only use the cell phone for long distance calls. You can even call the OBi from somewhere else and use a cell phone you left at home to call out.  It's pretty much whatever system you can dream up.

The Xlink is good if you want something simple but limited.  I have cellfusion which is similar and I'm glad I upgraded to OBi+BT.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Ostracus

giqcass

When I wrote the other post I hadn't thought about the fact he has the Xlink was connected to a 110.  The OBi202 functionality would be similar but with an extra line, more slots for service providers, wifi possible with that dongle, QOS settings if you use the router on it, and file sharing with a usb drive.  The XLink can connect more phones.  I think I saw the one model had the ability to do 3 cell phones simultaneously.

squiggy

giqcass

There is only one usb port so if you want to add more then one usb device get a hub.  Sherman suggested a couple.  I use the $5.99 one that he suggested.

QuoteAs for using OBiWiFi and OBiBT simultaneously, this is possible.

We recommend the use of a well-regarded USB 2.0 (or better) hub like these:

Belkin USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra-Mini Hub ($5.99)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q8UAWY

CyberPower High-Speed 7-Port USB Hub ($29.99)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006TIA8Y

~