News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Would OBI work with Verizon Wireless MIFI or via their USB connector as ISP ?

Started by Bunny, January 25, 2013, 10:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand whether OBI would work for my fiance's home situation. He is about to set up internet service. The only carrier that covers his locale is Verizon Wireless (otherwise it would be dialup). Verizon said they have some sort of MI-FI / WIFI device, or also a little USB modem device, either of which gets a computer / device connected to the internet. That's good.

However, I can't figure out if either of these (the MIFI or the USB modem) would allow him to use an OBI device for his "home phone"? Would that work?

I found the MI-FI device on their site (I think this is the right one - they call it a jetpack) if this info helps:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=6104

I can't see what sorts of ports are on that MI-FI. Can the OBI plug into it somehow? Is there any way to get OBI working with Verizon Wireless Broadband as the ISP?

I'll reserve all other questions until I find out if this is possible.
Thanks in advance.  :)

Rick

No for the USB modem, it just gives the laptop WiFi.

The other device might be connected to a OBi 202, but why?  The data cost will be huge, and he can use his Verizon cell phone. 

Bunny

In theory he could just talk on his cell phone, but in real life it isn't a very good deal. There's a myriad of reasons. One reason has to do with the number of hours he spends on the telephone per month. He can't talk that many minutes on his cell.

Why do you say the data usage would be prohibitive by talking through the OBI? Can you explain and give examples please?

Are you one of the techs with Obi by the way?

Rick

Quote from: Bunny on January 26, 2013, 09:33:08 AM
In theory he could just talk on his cell phone, but in real life it isn't a very good deal. There's a myriad of reasons. One reason has to do with the number of hours he spends on the telephone per month. He can't talk that many minutes on his cell.

Why do you say the data usage would be prohibitive by talking through the OBI? Can you explain and give examples please?

Are you one of the techs with Obi by the way?

OBi doesn't respond on these forums, they are supported by customers.

Your fiance' needs to really sit down and figure out what the Verizon Wireless service is going to end up costing him.  Data is not unlimited, he will get charged for it.  The more he uses, the more he pays.  While conceptually you might be able to get the OBi to work with a MiFi device, you are using data when you talk on it - and perhaps when it is connected.  I have no idea of the bandwidth, if any, that the OBi would use while connected to the internet but not being used.  I suspect there would be some.

Bunny

Quote from: Rick on January 26, 2013, 09:40:09 AM

Your fiance' needs to really sit down and figure out what the Verizon Wireless service is going to end up costing him.  Data is not unlimited, he will get charged for it.  The more he uses, the more he pays. 

We are aware of that.

Quote from: Rick on January 26, 2013, 09:40:09 AM
  I have no idea of the bandwidth, if any, that the OBi would use while connected to the internet but not being used.  I suspect there would be some.

Okay, I understand now that you don't know about data consumption from the OBi.

I took the liberty of researching this. If he talks for 60 minutes per day on a VOIP provider on the Verizon plan, it uses 1GB per month. That's perfectly acceptable to the both of us. It's well within the data plan that he is shopping for from them.

I was thinking for a minute that there was something tricky about this that you were alluding to - but I understand now that the data and price worry are not issues. We already know about those.

For clarity - there is no other internet provider aside from dial up that can be had in his locale, not even dish (obstructions to the dish exist in the topography.) Verizon it is.

The plan price is not prohibitive. The plan price is actually LESS than he was paying for dial up and standard telephone service with long distance currently. It is about 40% of what he pays now.

The data usage is not an issue.

All I really need to know is how to set it up. I read about the WIFI usb plugin that OBi has. I think I'm going to direct my questions to the techs. Thanks for trying.

Rick

The OBi is a device that lets you use VoIP on a house phone.  The only issue you'll need to figure out is IF the OBi uses internet bandwidth when you're not on a call.  The OBi techs should be able to answer that, click Support on the main page and fill out a ticket.

If have a house phone is not an issue, there are many ways to use VoIP with his computer, including via Google Voice, that don't require a physical phone and therefore he doesn't need to get an OBi.