News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best way to connect 2 Obis on Local Network

Started by mrjoe, January 26, 2013, 02:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrjoe

I'd like my Obi202 to take advantage of my Obi110's Line port.

What would be the best way to connect them.

I don't want routing out of the local network.

ianobi

Mr Joe,

A modified version of this could be used:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2459.msg33156#msg33156

The downside is that it would need a sp on each device to form the link. If you already have an sp using calling without registration, then that can probably be used for this purpose also.

I know you have a very complex setup using OBi's, other ATA's, GSM gateways, etc etc .. so I'm sure that you would cope with the more complex DigitMaps etc needed to make it work as you want.

azrobert

ianobi,

I have something you can try.

As you know I just purchased a 2nd OBi110.

I setup mine with a Voice Gateway like this:

VG1 AccessNumber sp2(192.168.1.10:5471)
VG1 AuthUserID = WhatEver

Phone OutboundCallRoute = {(xxxxxxxxxx):vg1}

This way you can use SP2 for something else.

I had this setup working but had no audio.
My new OBi110 died before I could resolve this issue.

ianobi

azrobert,

I'll have to have a look at the vg idea. It would be good not to need to use an sp.

Sorry to hear about a death in your OBi family  :'(  Is there anything we can learn from the postmortem?

azrobert

Quote from: ianobi on January 27, 2013, 07:25:18 AM

Sorry to hear about a death in your OBi family  :'(  Is there anything we can learn from the postmortem?

It sucks that NEWEGG forces you to pay for the return UPS label for a defective item.
I suppose it's standard practice.
There goes my sale price savings.

I had trouble printing the UPS label from NEWEGG's WEB site.
The label printed as a blank rectangle with an "x" in the upper left corner.
If I right clicked on the label image and selected "PRINT", it printed full page truncating the bottom portion of the label.  I won't bore you with all the things I tried. What worked was using the Sniping Tool to cut and paste the label into PAINT, then resizing the image by 50%.

Rick

I wouldn't call it standard practice.  Every company, including Newegg, has return policies.  I don't order from anyone without checking those first.  I also make sure that the credit card I'm using has coverage if the company won't take it back. 

In my experience, Amazon takes back defective items and pays the return shipping, even if you don't rebuy. 

azrobert

For anybody who cares, you can access an OBi with an ATA.
Assuming OBi's address is 192.168.1.10 with default SP2 port 5061.

ATA setup:

Server = 192.168.1.10:5061
UserID = ATA1
Password = WhatEver
Registration = off

OBi SP2 X_InboundCallRoute = {(ATA1)>(xxxxxxxxxx):sp1}

azrobert

Quote from: Rick on January 27, 2013, 08:59:15 AM
In my experience, Amazon takes back defective items and pays the return shipping, even if you don't rebuy.  

Rick,

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know Amazon didn't charge return shipping.

In the past I've been very happy with both Amazon and NEWEGG and this is the first time I had to return a defective product.

In the future I'm going to check Amazon first.

ianobi

azrobert,

I have done some testing on the Voice Gateway idea. I'm also having trouble getting audio to work. Odd really as it's all in the same LAN subnet. I was using a "registered" sp as gateways in both OBi's as this would make the best savings of trunks. It seems ok for the vg to use a "registered" sp for outgoing, but the incoming sp in the other OBi needs to be unregistered.

Testing using "unregistered" sp's as gateways works fine both ways, but is not a great saving of trunks. However, it would mean that you could use several vg's in both OBi's using each others trunks all using one "unregistered" sp in each OBi to create the link. CallerID seems to work fine in both directions.

It looks like a good idea that probably needs more work.

Did any of that make sense?

azrobert

ianobi,

I was testing by calling my ISP and getting no audio and didn't get to test incoming before my second OBi110 died.  I probably got the same result as you.  I don't understand why being registered makes a difference.  I tried using different RPT ports on the second OBi110.  It didn't make a difference.

Before I purchased the 2nd  OBi110 I was using an ATA to access the OBI110 as described in my reply #6 above.  In this setup the OBi110 could ring an unregistered ATA using a Voice Gateway when SP2 was registered. I'll have to test if the OBi110 can still call a registered ATA.

Update:

I registered the 2nd port on my ATA to a provider. I successfully called that port via VG3/SP2 on my OBi110 with SP2 registered to a provider. I know this is different than one OBi110 making an outbound call on the other, but this should work.

mrjoe

I find I cannot hear the other Party unless I use an Outbound Proxy.

Is it just me at is there a lot of static/white noise when connecting 2 ATAs over A Local connection?

I thought it was just my PAP2 because it was a Chinese imitation but I'm havering the same problem with an Obi202 connected to a Obi110!

Can anyone shed some light on the issue?

hwittenb

Quote from: azrobert on January 27, 2013, 09:04:48 AM
For anybody who cares, you can access an OBi with an ATA.
Assuming OBi's address is 192.168.1.10 with default SP2 port 5061.

ATA setup:

Server = 192.168.1.10:5061
UserID = ATA1
Password = WhatEver
Registration = off

OBi SP2 X_InboundCallRoute = {(ATA1)>(xxxxxxxxxx):sp1}

I can confirm that the above technique posted by azrobert works for one stage dialing with an OBi100 to an OBi110.  You can just setup the local net address under a VoiceGateway, setup the VoiceGateway with an AuthUserID for the caller id, and setup the DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute for the call, and setup the inbound call routing on the OBi110 as shown.  

It also works from a SPA3102 to the OBi110.

I can not get this to work with an OBi202 to an OBi110.  The firmware is different.  The call completes but there is one-way audio because the rtp voice stream is not received from the OBi110 by the OBi202.

Edit:  See  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5141.msg33309#msg33309.

Bolt

I'm interested in doing this too, this was my next project.  Any help would be appreciated!

Can I run the Obi202 in switch/bridge mode and connect the 202 to router and then the 110 to 202's second port?  Would such a setup work even if network router was down (assuming static IP's on both)?

azrobert

Quoteauthor=hwittenb link=topic=5141.msg33254#msg33254 date=1359336399

I can confirm that the above technique posted by azrobert works for one stage dialing with an OBi100 to an OBi110.

hwittenb,

ianobi and I are getting one way audio with 2 OBi110s.
In my case the firmware levels were the same, but the hardware versions were different.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: ianobi's worked when SP2 was unregistered.

azrobert

For any newbie that doesn't understand why we want to do the above.

The path for 2 OBi's on the same LAN to talk to each other using OBitalk is:

OBi#1 => LAN => WEB => OBitalk server => WEB => LAN => OBi#2

The path using the above config:

OBi#1 => LAN => OBi#2

hwittenb

Quote from: azrobert on January 27, 2013, 05:44:04 PM

ianobi and I are getting one way audio with 2 OBi110s.
In my case the firmware levels were the same, but the hardware versions were different.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Edit: ianobi's worked when SP2 was unregistered.
I don't have two OBi110's to test out.  Just an OBi110, an OBi100, and an OBi202.  I don't know why you would get the one-way audio between the two OBi110's.  One way audio usually occurs because one adapter doesn't communicate correctly the ip address or port number to be used for the rtp data stream.

Edit: See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5141.msg33309#msg33309

In my tests I was calling from SP2 to SP2, both were registered to a voip provider but I don't think that makes any difference, one way or the other.  In fact I just ran a test with both unregistered and the result was the same.  It worked between the OBi100 and the OBi110.  Now I moved the OBi100 to some other ip address and now it gets one-way audio.  Flakey  

If it doesn't work it is due to some setting or environment factor we haven't discovered.   I think this method of direct ip communication is something that really isn't supported or tested by OBi and that's why we get flakey results.

The units appear to accept calls from unregistered sources.  The OBi202 has a setting to stop unregistered calls but the default allows it.  If fact I tried the setting the OBi202 to stop unregistered calls and it does just that.  A voice comes on to scold me.

mrjoe

For 2 way Audio you must us an Outbound Proxy.
Trust me, I've tried all types of Configurations..

azrobert

You can also use this method to define an OBi as a trunk on PBX in a Flash.

I'm a total novice with PIAF, but this Trunk definition works:

type=friend
username=PIAF
host=192.168.1.10
port=5061
fromuser=PIAF
canreinvite=no
insecure=invite,port
qualify=yes
nat=yes

I wonder if putting PIAF between the 2 OBi's would correct the audio problems.
Point a VG on OBi#1 to a PIAF extension and route the call out the OBi#2 trunk.

I can't do any testing until my dead OBi gets replaced.

Has anyone tried mrjoe's outbound proxy suggestion?

ianobi

I have consistant results in my setup as follows:

Using two OBi110s both with Hardware Version 2.8 and Software Version 1.3.0 (Build: 2274). (R) = registered to a Service Provider. (U) = unregistered using 127.0.0.1 etc.

OBiA sp(U) > < LAN > < OBiB sp(U)
Call routing and audio ok in both directions. CallerID passed ok in both directions.

vg > OBiA sp(U) > LAN > OBiB sp(U)
Call routing and audio ok. CallerID passed ok.

vg > OBiA sp(R) > LAN > OBiB sp(U)
Call routing and audio ok. CallerID passed ok.

vg > OBiA sp(U) > LAN > OBiB sp(R)
Call routing ok. no audio tx or rx. CallerID passed ok.

vg > OBiA sp(R) > LAN > OBiB sp(R)
Call routing ok. no audio tx or rx. CallerID passed ok.

In this setup Outbound Proxy makes no difference for the unregistered calling. I accept that it may well be needed in some setups. If you are using an sp with a registered service provider, then you cannot mess with the Outbound Proxy without affecting that voip service.

hwittenb

I finally got my wireshark packet trace more or less working correctly and I now see what is happening with the one-way audio when I call the OBi110 from the OBi202 over my local network.  When the OBi110 starts up its rtp voice packet stream instead of sending the packet stream to the OBi202 local network address it sends its rtp packet stream to the (correct port number) at the local network's external ip address.  The router discards the packet and you have one-way audio. To circumvent the problem, I setup a unique rtp port range for the OBi202 and in my router forwarded that unique port range to the OBi202 and the call works correctly.