News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Maintaining my Google account security with Obihai?

Started by jbinkc, January 29, 2013, 10:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbinkc

I am very interested in this product, and am about ready to place my order, but I have concerns about  providing my Google account and password to Obihai.  Doesn't this give them access to all my Google account info (Mail, Contacts, Drive, calendar, etc.)?
How are others dealing with this?   What is Obihai's position on this issue?

Also, it doesn't look to me like using the "application specific" password option solves the issue.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks.

QBZappy

jbinkc,

Err on safety and open a new Gmail/GV acct specifically for the OBi. That is what others are doing when they have any concerns about the points you mentioned.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jbinkc

Quote from: QBZappy on January 29, 2013, 11:59:37 AM
jbinkc,

Err on safety and open a new Gmail/GV acct specifically for the OBi. That is what others are doing when they have any concerns about the points you mentioned.
=========================
Thanks Zappy.
This makes sense to me.  I was hoping I could stick with the Google voice number I already have, but looks like I just need to get on with this approach.
Appreciate your help.
Jbinkc

lhm.

"I was hoping I could stick with the Google voice number"

You can transfer current GV # to new email account.

jbinkc

Wow, I will have to look into that.  I didn't see that option...

Bolt

Quote from: lhm. on January 30, 2013, 03:09:03 PM

Not really, or not for free at least.  And if you delete a number of an account it is on hold for re-use by another for 90 days.  If I'm missing something, I'm all ears.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Bolt on January 30, 2013, 04:18:30 PM
Quote from: lhm. on January 30, 2013, 03:09:03 PM

Not really, or not for free at least.  And if you delete a number of an account it is on hold for re-use by another for 90 days.  If I'm missing something, I'm all ears.
Explained here: http://support.google.com/voice/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=ts.cs&ts=1378507

For future reference it's under Google Voice Help > How to > Port, change, or transfer your number > "I want to transfer my Google Voice number to another account" and "I want to transfer my Google Voice number to another Google Account"

Bolt

Super! It worked! I'd been trying to do something like that for a while.

Now on a somewhat related note, how do I change my name (not forum name) or email account info on OBitalk?  When I started all this I didn't think I would take it as far as I did with several GV accounts, several devices, etc.  Now I'd like to add some logic back to the setup...

Rick

Quote from: Bolt on January 31, 2013, 07:43:29 AM
Super! It worked! I'd been trying to do something like that for a while.

Please clarify - was there a fee or not to transfer your GV number from one Google account to another?

Bolt

Yes, it's quite easy and quite FREE.

Google even made it sound difficult than necessary.  Check through several disclaimers, (have all account info handy, this is irreversible, etc)

Then it has you log in with account with phone number you want, then prompts to log in with account you want to send it to.  Then you have check boxes where you pick the number you want and select where to send it to.

They say it could take 5 days to complete, but mine was done instantly.

Rick

Thanks.  I need to do this.  I initially setup the OBi with GV and Callcentric, so my business GV number was just forwarding to the first one.  Now, I have the OBi setup with both.  I do it directly via IP, not via OBitalk, so I don't think it's possible that OBi can get into it even though they can push a firmware update, but of course the device is only so secure. 

Downside is that if I do this then my Google Contacts don't move with the number, but that's not a huge deal.

QBZappy

Hey Rick,

I think I've seen different ways to move the Google contacts around from Desktop <-> cloud. It should be possible to do.

Sync your Google services to your phone, tablet, and desktop programs
http://www.google.ca/sync/

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Rick

Right, I just need to think it through.  Right now, I do have everything across all my devices, but my Google account is also the one that I have my GV number in.  So, if I move the number, I just need to think about where things end up, and if it impacts anything. 

Hollywood

about google contacts, you can "export" your contacts to a Vcard file on your hard drive and "import" it to your new or other account. most address book programs also support this, like the address book on many email programs (like Thunderbird).

about transferring your number, when I ported my number to google voice, I was offered to keep my old google voice number in addition to my new ported one for $20. It seemed like a good idea, but you can't make the 2nd number show in the outbound callerId. if being able to call out from either number is important, two google accounts may be a better way to go.

jbinkc

Quote from: Bolt on January 31, 2013, 12:01:08 PM
Yes, it's quite easy and quite FREE.

Google even made it sound difficult than necessary.  Check through several disclaimers, (have all account info handy, this is irreversible, etc)

Then it has you log in with account with phone number you want, then prompts to log in with account you want to send it to.  Then you have check boxes where you pick the number you want and select where to send it to.

They say it could take 5 days to complete, but mine was done instantly.

Thanks for the tips from everyone.   I have just completed a transfer of my "old" GV# to a new Google account, for purposes of installing Obihai without having to disclose my primary GV pswd, and I think  I am almost in business.  My Obihai should arrive Monday.  The key to success of the transfer was setting up a Google account without GVoice, and then transferring my old GV# to that new account.  As Bolt says, mine was also completed within a few minutes (not 5 days...).