News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using iLBC with Google Talk/Google Voice?

Started by Spidey, February 01, 2013, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spidey

From reviewing the Google Talk developers forum I can see that iLBC is supported by Google. I can see that my Obi202 also supports iLBC but it is disabled by default. Does anyone have this working? Is there any support planned for the future to enable iLBC with the Obi?

https://developers.google.com/talk/open_communications

Spidey

giqcass

Just try the codec if you want. Disable all of the other codecs and enable iLBC.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Spidey

??? Yes, I've tried enabling the iLBC CODEC already. I opened OBi Expert configuration, disabled all CODEC's except for iLBC and still every outbound call placed through Google Voice came up using the G.711 CODEC. So I enabled syslogd and turned on sip logging and unfortunately couldn't locate the source of the issue. There wasn't enough detail in the log to tell what was wrong. Did it advertise that iLBC was a supported protocol? It appears that SIP logging doesn't provide details on the XMPP messages.

I'm left with the conclusion that even though Google Voice supports iLBC, there currently doesn't appear to be a way to configure the OBi-202 to use iLBC with Google Voice. I've opened a request with OBi Support to see if this is a supported configuration.

Spidey

After discussing this with Obi technical support they pointed out that Google Voice only supports G.711 while Google Talk supports many different CODECS. I wasn't aware of that. So the short answer is that until Google Voice begins supporting something else besides G.711 the Obi202 will not be able to take advantage of other CODECS when making or receiving Google Voice calls to/from standard phone lines.