News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Gvoice numbers on OBI100 or 2nd OBI for PBX failover?

Started by arcopress, February 05, 2013, 06:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcopress

Hi there...
1 just installed my 100 with my gvoice number, which is my ported Vonage home phone #. Works like a charm.
My wife also has a Gvoice number as a faiil-over for her work PBX  voice DID T1, which , when down, rings the forwarded targets in her Gvoice account. Worked well when needed, to answer inbound calls while her PBX was down. (poor man's disaster recovery)..
One of her forwarding targets during an outage was our old Vonage #, so she could field calls at home, but now that it's MY Gvoice number, I can't add that number as a  forwarding target in her Google Voice account. So, I'm thinking of either programming SP2 as HER Gvoice number, (HOW?), or buying another 100 and dedicate it to her Gvoice number when needed (seldom).

If I get a 2nd 100 and program it and seldom use it, will it still stay active when I plug it in?
Would I be better to program both Gvoice numbers on the single box? What's the downside of doing that?
Thanks
Alan

Felix

Hi arcopress, and welcome to the forum.

Your question is an excellent candidate for "New to Using the OBi / VoIP" forum; in fact I am pretty sure that somebody asked it there a few times ;)

OBi100 allows to service providers (Google Voice or SIP). If you set up SP1 for Google Voice - then you know how to setup SP2... same way. I didn't quite get the part about forwarding number - when it was your Vonage home number, it was good as failover/forwarding number, and you and your wife could share it; but now that it is Google Voice - it is YOUR number? Did you guys separate or something?! OK, don't answer that :)

As long as two accounts are enough - there is no need for the second adapter... Technically, I believe that one adapter is better than one, and if you needed 3 lines - OBi202 is better than two 100s; but fortunately, you don't need to worry about it at this time.

Good luck!

arcopress

Yes... my OP was somewhat convoluted...
But thanks.. I programmed both on the 100 and all is good !
alan