News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Weird CallerID problem: phone shows it, logs don't

Started by ipse, February 07, 2013, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipse

I discovered a weird issue today with my Obi110: I got an unwanted call from 1-647-258-3214 (telemarketer) and the cordless phone is displaying the number.
When I went into the Obi to update my Telemarketer list, there is NO record of the call in the logs.
This has happened twice today already.
No, it's not the RingDelay value, as the CallerID was passed just fine to the phone.

Any ideas? I'm on the latest 2774 load.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

CoalMinerRetired

Does your Google Voice (Or CallCentric or VoIP.MS or Anveo or whatever) call history show the call?

If no to the above, then possibly it's a SIP scanner. Search for that term on here, some current posts and explaination.

ipse

The call comes in on the landline...it's an Obi110 which still has the POTS connected.
But the weird part is that *69 dials it just fine...so it's Obi the does not log it or act upon it.

Did telemarketers just got smarter :) just kidding, as I said the info is passed on by the line.

giqcass

I don't have the 110 so I don't know a lot about it but are you looking at call logs through the web portal or connected to the OBi directly?  I had thought it might be having trouble connecting to the portal which may account for the CID not showing up there.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ianobi

The OBi110 will route the call from the Line Port to the Phone Port whether or not it sees CallerID. In this case it looks like the phone is recording the CallerID allowing call back etc.

If the CallerID does not show up in the Status > Call History > Peer Number, then the OBi110 has not processed the CallerID information. I would have another look at RingDelay, CallerIDDetectMethod etc.

ipse

Quote from: ianobi on February 10, 2013, 02:15:23 AM
The OBi110 will route the call from the Line Port to the Phone Port whether or not it sees CallerID. In this case it looks like the phone is recording the CallerID allowing call back etc.
If the CallerID does not show up in the Status > Call History > Peer Number, then the OBi110 has not processed the CallerID information. I would have another look at RingDelay, CallerIDDetectMethod etc.
Thanks ianobi...here's the mistery: it seems the numbers that don't get logged (and BTW, call logs are only available if logging into the device, not through the Obitalk page...) are showing a quotation mark and a space before the number.
As I said, the info DOES get passed to my cordless set which is smart enough to parse them out! I DO see tha info on the phone, but NOT in the Obi logs and also Obi cannot process them (I have a blacklist).
Snapshot from the LINE and PHONE status.

PHONE and LINE Port Status
Port Statushelp
Parameter Name   Phone Port Status
State   On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   57 V (12.1 V)
TipRingVoltage   45 V
LastCallerInfo   '' 1732784xxxx

Line Port Status   
On Hook   
0 mA   
48 V   
'' 1732784xxxx   

Call log:

Call 1   02/10/2013    11:38:45   
Terminal ID   LINE1   PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
11:38:45   Ringing   
11:39:02   End Call   

ianobi

That's interesting. I tried simulating the same situation coming in from an sp and the " xxxx shows up correctly. However, I'm having trouble working out how to simulate this on an incoming call to the Line Port.

Are "normal" calls to the Line Port showing the correct Peer Number?

This may take a day or two!

ipse

I think I jumped the gun: the double-quotation marks are actually 2 single quotation marks and the space...well, just a delimiter.
Which basically means: "there is no peer name available" (blank). Damn! I thought I was onto something.

@ianobi, yes, other calls show up ALWAYS (but they might be POTS-POTS not VoIP-POTS...).
I went back and forth betwen 2765 and 2774 and it's the same.

I plan to set the RingDelay to some 5-6sec value and see if that changes anything in terms of Obi recording the number - passing it on is not the issue. But that would suck, as I have Talking CallerID which helps me screen the calls :)
Oh technology...where are the days of the rotary phones :0)

ianobi

I'm sure that you are thinking on the right lines. I would have thought that the first ' ' should have resulted in a blank Peer Name, but the Peer Number should have been recorded in Call History.

A few questions to be answered yet!

Oh for the days of rotary phones, loop/disconnect dialling and strowger telephone exchanges - then you could really see what was happening  :D

ianobi

Further testing on incoming calls to the Line Port of OBi110 seems to show:
1. CallerID present, no CName present - Peer Number and Peer Name both show CallerID.
2. CallerID present, CName '' (two single quotation marks followed by space) - Peer Number shows CallerID, Peer Name shows '' (two single quotation marks followed by space).
3. CallerID present, CName " " (a space contained by two double quotation marks) - Peer Number shows CallerID, Peer Name is blank.

The only difference between calls arriving at the Line Port and calls arriving via voip on an sp seems to be number 1. calls via voip on an sp with no CName show Peer Name blank as you would expect.

I have no idea what this proves  :)

ipse

Me neither, but thanks for looking into it!
I contacted support, but they got stuck the same way, thinking I'm complaining about missing PeerName.
Playing with RingDelay didn't make a difference - only made it worse as it takes longer to see CallerID for screening.
I remember reading in these forums that RingDelay > 4000ms does not result in longer display delay, but that's not what I'm seeing.

ipse

Hate to bump this post, but I'm losing my mind...how can I get CallerID on the cordless phone attached to the Obi and NOT in the logs, therefore NOT blocked by my dump list?
In my particular case it looks like Obi does NOT log calls without Caller Name...so my attempts to set a block list fail, as all there is in the logs and passed to Obi is a date stamp.

Am I alone?

PS For all these I got a number recorded in the phone CallerID....yet Obi did nothing to block:

Call 10   05/25/2013    20:04:56   
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
20:04:56   Ringing   
20:05:23      Call Connected
20:05:41   End Call   
Call 11   05/25/2013    18:06:56   
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
18:06:56   Ringing   
18:06:58      Call Connected
18:16:32      End Call
Call 12   05/25/2013    18:06:33   
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
18:06:33   Ringing   
18:06:35      Call Connected
18:06:37   End Call   

ianobi

Do you get any Peer Numbers logged in Status > Call History for any incoming calls on the Line Port?

I'm assuming that you live in North America. As you know the CallerID is sent between the first and second ring. RingDelay is an issue, but you have tried that - I suggest leave around 4000 while changing other settings.

Perhaps the first ring is not being detected? You might try a lower setting for:
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Ring Detection > RingThreshold

Less likely, but just possible, you might try a lower setting for:
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Ring Detection > RingValidationTime

Another factor that might delay ring detection, so affecting CallerID detection, might be other devices connected in parallel with your OBi110.

ipse

So the main thing is that the CallerID info DOES show on the Panasonic cordless attached to the Phone port. So settings are definitely OK.
The question is: how can I get calls that are logged on the phone (so CallerID info WAS passed on by Obi) but NOT on the Obi110?
Second very important observation is that ALL calls that carry Caller Name (Peer Name) show up in the logs correctly. If I was to guess, I would say this is a bug where the Caller Name missing causes the Caller Number (Peer Number) to get skipped in the logs.

Like I said, the main driver for this quest for paradise is to make use of my Telemarketer block list. No ID = no block.

PS Oh, and yes, the timers and all are set similar to what you indicated. Obi support was less than helpful, insisting that my problem is CallerID NOT being passed to the phone. On the contrary.

Call 5   05/28/2013    15:45:34   
Peer Name      
Peer Number      
15:45:34   Ringing   
15:46:01      Call Connected
15:46:20      End Call

Call 10   05/27/2013    15:14:04   
Peer Name   RYAN LAMONTAGNE   
Peer Number   xxx59xxx53   
15:14:04   Ringing   
15:14:31      Call Connected
15:15:07      End Call

ianobi

"Weird" is the right word to describe this problem!

QuoteSo the main thing is that the CallerID info DOES show on the Panasonic cordless attached to the Phone port. So settings are definitely OK.
The question is: how can I get calls that are logged on the phone (so CallerID info WAS passed on by Obi) but NOT on the Obi110?

This does not prove that the settings in the OBi are correct. The OBi has passed the call through to the Phone Port and your Panasonic is clever enough to extract the CallerID from the call. You will also probably find the CallerID of the last incoming call shown here:
Status > PHONE & LINE Status > LastCallerInfo for both the Phone Port and Line Port.
Again this does not mean that the OBi has processed the CallerID information.

QuoteSecond very important observation is that ALL calls that carry Caller Name (Peer Name) show up in the logs correctly. If I was to guess, I would say this is a bug where the Caller Name missing causes the Caller Number (Peer Number) to get skipped in the logs.

This is very weird indeed. It's quite common for Caller Name to be missing. I have never heard of that preventing CallerID being recorded as Peer Number.

I have already suggested all of the settings that I know affect the receiving of CallerID, so now I'm out of ideas.   ???