News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Fire Alarm Control Panel

Started by forumray, February 14, 2013, 12:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forumray

Obi 202 - one of lines is dedicated for use with Fire Alarm Control Panel (FACP).

At least 1-2 x per day the FACP signals no dial tone. When I plug phone into RJ11 I have a dial tone.

I disconnected obi from 24 port switch directly to port on FIOS router to reduce likelihood of QOS issue. Problem persists.

Any suggestions?

MurrayB

Hello and welcome.

A VOIP line should not be used under any circumstances for a security system. VoIP lines are incapable of supplying a reliable path if a path at all, for communication with a central office. A PSTN or POTS line must be used. This is due to how VoIP transports the data over the Internet. There are many posts and discussion of this on the forum.

Good Luck!

Roger

I wanted to do this too, so I could get rid of my land line.  I ended up going with radio option (basically cell service) for my alarm system.  Its really the best option because there are no wires to cut and the to my surprise it was no more expensive in terms of monitoring costs.

MurrayB

Hi Roger - Could you please elaborate on the gear & service that you are using with the costs.

Thanks!

RFord

The statement highlighted seems to counter to what I have observed with most monitoring companies.  Most Monitoring companies charge from $15 -$25 additional per month for Cell Monitoring.  Like MurrayB, I would like to hear about the Monitoring Company and the Cell Unit that you are using.  Does the Cell Unit go through a 3rd party (AlarmNet) before being forwarded to the Central Monitoring Station or are you using a Generic Cell Dialer that reports directly to the Central Station?

Quote from: Roger on March 04, 2013, 10:16:04 AM
Its really the best option because there are no wires to cut and the to my surprise it was no more expensive in terms of monitoring costs.

ggramont

I am using Simplisafe as an alarm provider. They only use the cellular network for the alarm and it works very well. You have to buy the equipment but the monthly fee is a lot cheaper. www.simplisafe.com