News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Shipping to Canada?

Started by ToNIX, March 30, 2011, 07:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToNIX

Is there anything we can do since amazon.com won't ship to Canada?

Obi110 is in stock now, but I have a feeling I'll have to wait for the next batch to figure something out.

"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below."

jimates

there was a post on SD yesterday from someone wanting to sell their Obi110. Perhaps they will ship to Canada.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=38417485&postcount=259

QBZappy

jimates,

Nice, but hardly what we need for dependable distribution here into Canada.

I saw that there is an Amazon.ca which delivers to a Canadian address. They don't list the OBi device on the Canadian site, as far as I can tell.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

I think I offered the fastest available option. Normally I would offer to buy and ship but I am pretty much tapped out right now.

QBZappy

ToNIX,

If you don't mind paying twice (Amazon+ 3rd party shipper to Canada) for shipping there are services like the following which offer solutions for situations like this. For a 1lb package it costs about $30 to ship to Canada from Florida according the this website. Where in Canada do you want to receive this OBi?

http://myus2.myus.com/Rates.aspx

http://www.shipito.com/

I found rate from $5 to $32 shipped to Montreal at shipito.com

Just so you don't get surprised. When you receive the package you will likely be asked to pay GST taxes, and a fee for clearing customs. I was shocked to find hat I was charged $50 to clear customs when I purchased my OBi. I since found out that the least expensive way to ship something to Canada is to use regular post. You still pay the GST, however the customs clearing forms should be about $25.

Are there other Canadians that can share their experiences when ordering products from the US?

jimates,
I was just pulling your leg :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ToNIX

Well, if anybody's willing to receive the Obi for me and then forward it here, pm me for a PayPal arrangement (with screenshots of history if needed).

EDIT : I've arranged something with a forum member, thank you very much!

jimates

There is another SD member that has extra untis at cost + shipping. I will send them a PM and ask them to check out this post for possible other's in need.

it looks like Priority flat rate shipping to Canada is ~$12. If it is light standard shipping is ~$10.50

ToNIX

Quote from: jimates on April 02, 2011, 08:20:29 AM
There is another SD member that has extra untis at cost + shipping. I will send them a PM and ask them to check out this post for possible other's in need.

it looks like Priority flat rate shipping to Canada is ~$12. If it is light standard shipping is ~$10.50

Is this the cheapest USPS shipping option to Canada?

jimates

OK, guys & gals. I am going to put this out here and see what happens. I love to see everyone get a deal and I usually never hesitate to offer helping those that can't get the deal for any reason. I am active on several of the deal sites and have helped many people out.

As a favor, I can purchase, and ship, your Obi to you in Canada for only actual costs.

The total for an Obi110, shipped First Class International Mail, would be $59.58.
$49.99 - Obi110
$ 6.97 - First Class International Postage
$ 2.62 - PayPal fees
$59.58 - Total

I have a PayPal Business Account, so credit card payments are OK. I have Amazon Prime so I should receive the item within 2 days of ordering. I don't know what First Class International delivery time would be, but Priority Shipping is available for an additional $4.56.

The Obi110 is suppose to be back in stock Monday or Tuesday so let me know if you are interested.

The Obi100 is cheaper of course and weighs considerably less for shipping. If you prefer the Obi100 let me know and I will calculate the cost for it.

Send me a message through the forum. Include your email address for corresponence through email.

QBZappy

jimates,

What's the matter jim. You are only helping one "Guy" and all the "Gals".  :D

jimates

Quote from: QBZappy on April 10, 2011, 01:03:26 AM
jimates,

What's the matter jim. You are only helping one "Guy" and all the "Gals".  :D
Must have been what was on my mind. I fix.

GnatGoSplat

If anyone in Canada needs one, I have one spare Obi110 that can ship out next day (if I receive payment before 4PM CDT).  I bought both a 100 and 110 and I like the 100 better so I'm letting the 110 go.  Same price as jimates, I'll assume his calculations are correct.

jimates

UPDATE: new postal rates started April 17th.

First Class International to Canada

1 lb. =   $5.58    (old rate $5.01)
1.lb. +   thru   1 lb. 4 oz. = $6.60    (old rate $5.99)
1 lb. 4 oz.+   thru   1 lb. 8 oz. = $7.62    (old rate $6.97)

Shipping from Pa. to QC took 7 days.

With the new rate my total cost is $59.20

The small customs form is required over 1 lb. - mark as gift.
Printing postage online is not an option for First Class International.

I didn't want to ship in the box that had Amazon printed on it. I had a another box from Amazon that was really tight so I turned it inside out and used it. The weight was 1 lb. 0.9 oz..

So a small box suited for the item would be well under the next price tier of $7.95.
I could have just wrapped the item box with a tyvek envelope and it would have been just under 1 lb.

jimates

Obi100 on sale at Amazon thru this month. $39.99
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=929.0

I am still providing relay service for devices shipped to Canada. I am shipping about one per week.

It takes about 7 days for me to receive it from Amazon.
Shipping to Canada takes about 8 days (only one took 13 days)
USPS estimated shipping time is the same for First Class & Priority

Obi100 from Amazon is $39.99
First Class International shipping is $5.58
My paypal fees on the payment will be 3.9% +.30 = $2.17
Your total would be $47.74 shipped.

Priority Mail Shipping is available for an additional $6.00.

Obi100 from Amazon is $49.99
First Class International shipping is $6.60
My paypal fees on the payment will be 3.9% +.30 = $2.61
Your total would be $59.20 shipped.

Priority Mail Shipping is available for an additional $5.00.

risenshine85

I am interested jimates
Thanks a lot.
I just moved from Vonage to VOIP.MS and have a Google Voice account as well
I am in Toronto, ON - would you be able help?
I see obi is now in stock - so you should be able to get it in 2 days :)
let me know if you are willing to help! thanks
my email is risenshine85[at]gmail[dot]com

Fablog

Hi jimates,

Thanks for your proposition. I sent you a PM.

Fabien

jimates

I am a little gun shy right now. I shipped one on 4-16 to Saskatoon, Sk.   On 5-10 I got an email that it hadn't arrived yet. Never heard anything more until I got a notice from PayPal on Thursday (6-2) that they have frozen the funds because the buyer reported not receiving it. I haven't heard directly from the buyer.

So I am out $60 at this point, which is more than enough for now. I have been shipping USPS (domestic and international) for 14 years and have never had a package not delivered.

Note: the Obi100 price is back to $43.99

Fablog

I understand... if you help people here it shouldn't be a hassle for you! Let me know if you change your mind. I'm in montreal, maybe it's easyer to ship to here.

QBZappy

I didn't realize Canadians still had to look for back channels to buy an Obi unit.

StealthRhino

I emailed Obihai to ask when they will be available in Canada.  Here's what I got back

QuoteAmazon (US) does ship the product to Canada.
Just make sure you select Amazon as the seller on Amazon.com.
We do not yet have the OBi devices on Amazon.ca – stay tuned.

I don't think Obihai is aware that Amazon will not ship their products to Canada.