News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PSTN Line phone number call forward requirement

Started by cdcooker, March 31, 2011, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdcooker

I tried to setup the callforward feature in the expert mode in obitalk for my PSTN line.  This is not my primary line under Obitalk.  I typed a regular 10 digits phone number in the CallForwardUnconditionalNumber box, like 1234567890.  It doesn't work when I call my PSTN line from the cell phone.  It rings until the answering machine pick up the call.  I have other phones plug to the PSTN wall jacks in other rooms.  And the answering machine is in one of the rooms, which is not connecting to Obi110.  Is this the problem?  In order to use the call forward feature on PSTN line, is it true that I can't have other phones connect to other wall jacks.

Thanks

obi-support2

cdcooker,

Suppose you want to forward ALL your PSTN calls to 1234567890 using the SP1 service (such as Google Voice or ITSP), you can set LINE Port/CallForwardUnconditionalNumber to SP1(1234567890), and enable CallFowardUnconditional. That should be it.

Thank you.
OBIHAI Support Staff

cdcooker

Thank you very much for your quick help.  it works now.  The caller ID is showing my SP1 number, instead of the actual caller number, is that normal, and can't be change?

Thanks

obi-support2

Yes. That's normal.

Reason is that Google does not allow a device to alter the calling party number; it has to be your Google number (they will enforce it). It's not perfect yet. Hopefully things will get better in near future.

Thanks.
OBIHAI Support Staff

cdcooker

Hi, I tried to config the CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable, CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber, CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount to yes, SP1(1234567890), 2, respectively.  However, this time, call never forward to my forward number, and keep ringing until the answering machine in my home pick up the call.  The answering machine is not connected to Obi110.  Is it the reason the call forward didn't trigger?

thanks

RonR

CallForwardOnNoAnswer from the PSTN after 2 rings does work - I use it daily to forward incoming calls from my home phone line to my cell phone.  Assuming you're specifying a valid number to SP1(12345678901), it should forward.

The reason the answering machine picked up when the forwarded call wasn't answered is simple.  The OBi doesn't answer the incoming PSTN call until the call is answered by the forwarding number.  If it did, the caller would get charged for the call if the forwarding fails.  Instead, it leaves it PSTN call ringing and if the forwarding number answers, then the OBi answers the PSTN call and bridges it to SP1.

Except for why your forwarding number isn't going through and answering, it looks like everything is working correctly.

cdcooker

Hi, the forwarded phone number I quoted here is just for example, I use a valid number.  When set CallForwardUnconditionalEnable and CallForwardUnconditionalNumber to yes and SP1(1234567890), it works and the forwarded phone rings.  Only when I try the CallForwardOnNoAnswer settings that it fails to ring my forwarded phone.  So, from your reply, I assume the answering machine not hooking to Obi110 is not a problem.  What could be wrong here?

thanks

RonR

After how many rings does your answering machine pick up?  Keep in mind that the OBi isn't going to place the forwarding call until the OBi's phone has rang twice (which might be three times on the line port - I haven't checked).  If the answering machine answers the call before the OBi gets the call forwarded, I'm guessing it aborts.

Why do you have your answering machine ahead of the OBi anyway?

cdcooker

My answering machine is a combo set with cordless phone.  It will pick up after 4 rings.  My OBi connected phone will ring after the cordless phone rings once.   I set the CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount to 2. 

I don't understand your second question: "Why do you have your answering machine ahead of the OBi anyway?"  You meant why I don't connect it to the Obi?  The Obi is connecting to a rounter that is in a study room, while the answering machine is in my bedroom.

Thanks

RonR

I hope you see the problem.  The incoming phone line is going to continue to ring your answering machine while the OBi is ringing the OBi phone and finally attempts to make a forwarding call.  Once the answering machine sees 4 rings, it's going to grab the line and the OBi will drop out of the picture until the answering machine hangs up.  This isn't going to work unless the answering machine is set to enough rings that the OBi phone can ring twice and the forwarded number can ring enough times for the callee to pick up.  That could be a lot of rings.

cdcooker

Thank you for your quick answer.  So, my understanding now is in order to make this forwarding works, I need to set the ring count of the answering machine to more than 4, probably 8, to allow enough time for the forwarded phone to ring. 

My own thinking of how it works, which was wrong, was that after two rings on the Obi phone, my answering machine phone will no longer ring, and my forwarded phone will start ringing.

RonR

It's the phone company who's ringing the answering machine.  The OBi is sensing this ringing and doing its thing, but the answering machine and the OBi don't know about each other.  When the answering machine picks up, the OBi no longer sees the phone line ringing and assumes the caller hung up.

You really don't want your answering machine on the input to the OBi (the LINE Port).  It should be on the output of the OBi (the PHONE Port).

cdcooker

Thanks for your explanation.  I totally get the big picture now.  I just tested my phone system by turning off my answering machine altogether.  The Obi phone just rang twice, my answering machine phone kept ringing for another 3 rings, and my forwarded phone started ringing afterward.  I guess that's how much time for Obi to dial out to my forwarded phone.

Kaizer

NM