News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble diagnosing my Obi202 call issues

Started by Chris_L, February 22, 2013, 07:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_L

Hi all,

I am a noob to voip and Obi202 and have been struggling for a week to get things right.

Setup:
-   X_UseSSL is enabled
-   My router QoS settings are set to allow high priority to the OBI's mac addr
-   My router is configured to allow
    o   TCP: 6800, 5222, 5223
    o   UDP: 5060, 5061, 16600 to 16998
    o   Allow INCOMING on 10000
-   My speedtest.net readings are between 14M to 17.7M down and 1.94M up
-   I have enable 100M full duplex (code 27??)
-   Using Linksys WRT100 wireless router operating at 2.4GHz and cordless phone operating at 1.9GHz.
-   OBI202 connected to phone and LAN only, using cables (no Bluetooth or wireless connections to the Obi box)
-   Was losing 2-3 seconds of voice during calls before setting X_UseSSL to enabled, but had no drops
-   After setting X_UseSSL continued to lose voice but now have drops.
-  Monitoring Obitalk phone stats was seeing lots of packet drops and under/overruns.

Initially, I was losing a few seconds of each conversation.  Obi support suggested setting X_UseSSL to enabled.  Did that and things went downhill quickly.  Calls started dropping. I was on a conference call and was getting dropped every couple of minutes.  At one point I looked at my handset and saw "no line" displayed.  Tried to dial back in and line was dead. Disabled X_UseSSL. After a short interval I was back up but the line dropped again and I switched to my cell phone.  After my call I used the Obi to call into Obi support.  They suggested changing routers (can't do..only have one at home), or issuing a factory reset.  While contemplating the reset last night I kept calling an automated weather station for voice forecasts while running speedtest and streaming Youtube and monitoring my phone stats.  Everything was perfect (X_UseSSL still disabled)..no loss of quality or any drops.  Phone stats showed small amount of packet loss (22), no overruns and 47 underruns.  These parameters were at those counts prior to all my testing.  So, with no additional changes things appear to be better but we still see choppy voice on some calls.

This morning my wife was experiencing a choppy connecting while dialing into remote voicemail for work.  When I checked the phone stats none of the tickers incremented...no additional packet loss or under/overruns.  Can it be the sensitivity of the phone picking up her typing as she is on the line, therefore cutting off incoming voice?  Is there something else I can monitor or test before issuing a factory reset and subsequent re-do of all my settings on the OBI?  I understand the concept behind under/overruns and am slightly puzzled by the fact that they got better without me doing anything jitter related on my end.  I was seeing a lot of overruns (139 in a short period of time) and now see 0.  I used my Google Voice options to report bad calls.  I did that yesterday before everything got better...hard to believe that helped so I'm assuming its coincidental.

Sorry for the long read...I'm running out of things to try with my limited knowledge.  I'd apreciate any help, or a reset of expectations if I am looking for land-line quality when no one else is using bandwidth.

Chris_L

I played around with monitoring the call status while running tests.   I called my cell phone and had my son talk to me.  Eventually started losing audio.  The call status page was showing no alarming activity until the packets interpolated ticker started incrementing.  No lost packets, no overruns or underruns, just incrementing packets interpolated.  It counted up to about 5000 before the line totally dropped.  I did not grab a snapshot but the jitter measurements were in the 40ms range with a high of 90ms.  Does this point to Google Voice quality rather than my Obi or my router?  Anyone?

Chris_L

Oooo, ooooo, I'll lend assistance Chris  ;)

"Drop the port configuration in the router."

ME: OK.  None are active now.  Only active router setting is the high priority QoS for the Obi mac addr.

"Don't enable X_UseSSL"

ME: OK.  Disabled.

ME: Glad I did that rather than do a factory reset as suggested by Obi support!  Better to incrementally disable things to get to the root than the flush everything and not know what the problem was.  I've been trouble free since doing that. Even tested streaming HD video while on a call and all was well.

Chris_L

Well, after a week of flawless operation and running tests like hosting a webex meeting between two computers on my network while running speedtest and using the Obi and my landline without issue, call quality suddenly dropped.  I was able to monitor my call status during this period and noticed that the jitter buffer length increased from its usual 34ms to 180ms, then to 240ms.   While this was happening the packets interpolated counter rose quickly from 9 or so to close to 5000 before the call dropped.  No problem with my data usage during this period, so I am inclined to believe that GV is the culprit.  Short time later and all was well again.  Are you GV users seeing similar issues?  I'm still running as described immediately above.

MikeHObi

GV issues tend to follow exchanges, not overall GV.  I'm not seeing any issues with my numbers which starts with 612321.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Chris_L

Thanks Mike.  I'll start paying attention to the exchanges.  I have been reporting all bad calls via the google voice options when viewing my call log.  Hopefully they'll monitor the feedback.  I dropped my land line today so we've been happy with GV...even with the occasional call issues.