News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Packet capture hardware issue

Started by TrapDoor, March 11, 2013, 01:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrapDoor

I'm stumped - I've set up to do some packet captures using Wireshark looking at my working OBi100 as hooked up below using a 10/100 hub between the OBi and the router. The OBi and the hub act as if no connection exists between them - no connection status lights on either device and the OBi does not have an IP address. Changing hub ports and/or cables accomplishes nothing. All equipment is properly powered and the hub & cables work properly in all other situations. Without the hub, the OBi has worked fine for weeks. The OBi is set for 100Mb (***0, option 27, value=1).

Case #1: [OBi100]------[Netgear DS104 hub]------[Router LAN port]
                                               |
                                               |
                                    [PC w/Wireshark]

Next if I place a switch between the OBi and the hub, the proper connection status lights come on and everything works.

Case #2: [OBi100]------[DLink Switch]------[Netgear DS104 hub]------[Router LAN port]
                                                                          |
                                                                          |
                                                               [PC w/Wireshark]

If the hub had failed elsewhere, I would blame it - but it has been otherwise faultless. Maybe I'm having a retarded day but something simple has to be escaping me. ??? Does anyone see what I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance... TrapDoor

Shale

Maybe one of the cables is a reverse cable, and the OBi cable in use is a crossover (reverse-wired)?

TrapDoor

Quote from: Shale on March 11, 2013, 02:06:00 PM
Maybe one of the cables is a reverse cable, and the OBi cable in use is a crossover (reverse-wired)?

Still stumped - even tried using a crossover cable, no luck. For whatever reason, the OBi and the hub simply do not play together - will do my sampling elsewhere.

TrapDoor

giqcass

After you connect the components try rebooting everything and test again.  A power cycle should almost always be your first step solving connection problems.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

You can also try toggling the Normal/Uplink push button on the front panel of the hub.  Reboot everything after any changes.
Long live our new ObiLords!

TrapDoor

Progress - now the OBi talks with my hub! The OBi's default value of option #27 has been <1> which I understand sets the port speed to 100 Mbs. When I change the option to <0>, i.e. 10 Mbs, everything works. Reverting to 100 Mbs results in failure every time regardless of hub ports used, cabling, rebooting. The problem invariably follows the OBi. Whenever the OBi port speed is set to 100 Mbs, the associated hub port connection status LED is off.

Now the hub works everywhere else at 100 Mbs in my LAN so why not here? I'm up for any ideas!

TrapDoor

zapattack

Confirmation!!! My DD-WRT router will NOT connect to the Obi at FDX, but my inexpensive TP-Link works perfectly using either 0 or 1 setting.
Things in common: the OBI!!

Shale

Quote from: zapattack on March 19, 2013, 11:01:31 PM
Confirmation!!! My DD-WRT router will NOT connect to the Obi at FDX, but my inexpensive TP-Link works perfectly using either 0 or 1 setting.
Things in common: the OBI!!

Maybe you do have a defective port on your OBi. Maybe the DD-WRT firmware does not support some protocol (I am no ethernet expert, so I couldn't suggest what protocol). Wasn't your router and the DD-WRT firmware a thing in common for each of your tests?

Even the particular port on the router may have been common to each test. Maybe try plugging your OBi to a different port on your router.

zapattack

Changing port for Obi makes no difference.
Note also the PC adapter will work at 10 or 100 FDX, or Auto Negotiate.
Also, Obi settings of 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 also work.
Only value 1 fails.