News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

high-pitched whine from power adaptor

Started by smedicis, April 01, 2011, 03:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedicis

Has anyone else noticed a high-pitched whine from their OBI or OBi power adaptor?  Because I'm getting one from mine.  It's not very loud but it's there.  Pretty sure it's coming from the adaptor and it goes away when I unplug the adaptor and vice-versa.

Gogyroswin

Let me guess...you have a corded telephone that is having this issue?  There is a bigger thread about this titled "AC hum are easily heard due to the present power adaptor".  Obi has not really responded, other than to say "not" to use a different adapter or you will void your warranty, to those of us that have this issue.  It will become a bigger issue down the line with more people using the Obi more than just early adopters.

jwang

I have the same problem. It seems not the same problem with the AC Hum one in another post. The high-pitch sound is always there, whether you are using the phone or not.

I am not sure whether it is because my power adapter is a defected one or this is a common problem for OBI110 power adapter.

Anybody else has the same problem?

shap

It is a power adapter issue - it is harmless, but annoying. You can try to ask for replacement... If I rememebrr correctly, it is a small transformer that produce this noise.

jwang

Yes, the sound is not loud but annoying. Where can I ask for replacement? Thanks.

Quote from: shap on April 28, 2011, 02:37:18 AM
It is a power adapter issue - it is harmless, but annoying. You can try to ask for replacement... If I rememebrr correctly, it is a small transformer that produce this noise.

shap

Open a case with obi:  "Obihai Support Team" <support@obihai.com>
Drop them a note.

jwang

Yeah, I just did that, and they responded super fast. A replacement adapter is on the way. I hope the replacement one won't give out that noise.

Thanks. Have a good day!

Quote from: shap on April 28, 2011, 09:07:35 AM
Open a case with obi:  "Obihai Support Team" <support@obihai.com>
Drop them a note.

yhfung

Based on my past experience of using Sipura/Linksys ATA for a number of years, a good switching transformer would not give too much AC hum when ordinary corded phones are used.

You may have the previous discussion of AC hum in the following link:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=367.0

When I visited a very big electronics fair in Hong Kong recently, I have already approached different transformer suppliers and got a reply that ordineary switching power adaptors are not good enough for audio device (such as OBi110 and OBi100). Most of US/CAD, European customers request the swtiching transformers to pass certain performance standards which are often required for IP Phone or other audio products.

The unit price is around 2.6USD.

A very good piece of device OBi110 or OBi100 which comes with a general grade of switching power adaptor will DEGRADE the audio performance when OBi devices are comapared with the Sipura/Linksys ATAs.

Most of customers does not mind to pay several dollars more if the AC hum is removed.

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

Vucien

I have the OBi202 and it makes a high-pitch whining siren-like noise. It definitely gives me a headache. I suppose I could put it in another room, but then I'd have to move my DSL modem as well to another room along with the OBi202. 

roguegaston

I just got the 202 and it also has the high-pitched whine coming from the unit itself.

Vucien

I was thinking about exchanging mine. Now, I'm not so sure. They could all have that ear-piercing whine.

carl

Quote from: Vucien on April 30, 2012, 05:04:21 PM
I was thinking about exchanging mine. Now, I'm not so sure. They could all have that ear-piercing whine.
No they do not. Mine had a different issue which made an exchange necessary, but neither the old one nor the replacement had this issue.

Ostracus

I wonder if this high-pitched whine eventually goes away? Mine did it at first and I moved the whole unit to a different location. Now I don't hear a whine from it when I'm near it.

Ogdensburg