News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Other end hears me breaking up (GV)

Started by abcd, March 18, 2013, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abcd

I can hear the person I'm calling fine but anyone I call says I'm breaking up and they can barely hear me.

I'm using an OBi 100 with Google Voice.

Any help please?! (This is my main phone line as I can't afford regular phone service).

EDIT: Forgot to add a crucial detail. Sorry!

I've tried this with 2 phones.

Shale

That could be explained with a bad or overloaded upstream on your internet connection.

As a test, try turning off all of your computers and tablets and smart phones, and see if that improves things.

abcd

According to pingtest.net, speedtest.net and speakeasy.com my connection quality, upload and download speeds are all ok. I connected the Obi100 directly to the modem and the problem disappeared.

Also I noticed my router is identifying the OBi100 as being both a wired and a wireless device (see attached image paste)

Lastly, i've tried this with 2 routers and the obi100 has the same problem with both of them.

http://picpaste.com/dbdad3f81c8391e322a1448da5358c0e.jpg

QBZappy

abcd,

Disable the wireless on the router and see what happens.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

abcd

Quote from: QBZappy on March 20, 2013, 05:25:35 PM
abcd,

Disable the wireless on the router and see what happens.

Thanks but that didn't change anything.

QBZappy

Shale,

SIP registration problem? Disable SIP ALG in your router config.

It's funny that you should mention it. I started writing something about SIP ALG and decided not to send it because the GV he is using is XMPP protocol (not sip). I would still try that hunch, it can't hurt.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

abcd

Quote from: QBZappy on March 20, 2013, 06:22:23 PM
Shale,

SIP registration problem? Disable SIP ALG in your router config.

It's funny that you should mention it. I started writing something about SIP ALG and decided not to send it because the GV he is using is XMPP protocol (not sip). I would still try that hunch, it can't hurt.

Thanks. This didn't work either.

QBZappy

Plug the OBi directly into your modem, bypassing the router. See what gives. If it clears up, then you will know that the router is at fault. This will at least point you in some direction.

abcd

Quote from: QBZappy on March 20, 2013, 07:08:35 PM
Plug the OBi directly into your modem, bypassing the router. See what gives. If it clears up, then you will know that the router is at fault. This will at least point you in some direction.

Yes I had already tried that. It works fine when its not behind the routers, however it has the problem behind 2 separate routers.

QBZappy

abcd,

What model routers are you using?

abcd

"ASUS RT-N12" and a "Netgear WNR1000v2"

EDIT:

By the way, the ASUS RT-N12 was running DDWRT and had QoS turned on for the OBi100's MAC address to "premium" and even "exempt". That did not fix the problem.

QBZappy

abcd,

What can I say?

Last idea from me. Borrow a router from a friend, or go to Costco/Walmart and buy a router to test. (I understand that these big box stores are generous when returning merchandise).

abcd

Thanks nonetheless. I appreaciate all the help given.

Shale

Quote from: abcd on March 20, 2013, 08:50:44 PM
Yes I had already tried that. It works fine when its not behind the routers, however it has the problem behind 2 separate routers.

One at a time I presume.  :-)

Turn off all of your computers, or at least disconnect them from the internet. Leave OBi attached. Do test calls. Is there a choppy audio problem then?

Then bring each computer back until the problem occurs. When you bring back a computer and the choppiness recurs,  turn off programs in the computer that may be consuming bandwidth

Regarding routers, try turning off QOS.