News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Finding Local Numbers?

Started by Enno, March 18, 2013, 06:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enno

Hi guys I am really new at this.
I live in Wilkesboro NC and the local phone company (Wilkes telecommunication) is expensive, a pain in the a$$, expensive, and expensive.  :'(

I have a Magic Jack and it works OK but I can not call my neighbors house... They can call me but I can't call them.  I get the "conference call prepaid minute" message with MJ.

Somebody told me about OBI and using Google Voice.  I like the idea of this but am having a hard time trying to figure out what or if there is a local number I can use so I can call the neighbors and they can call me with out getting dinged for long distance

My area code is 336 and I was told that not all 336 numbers are local and that it can be long distance.

Anybody have any ideas?  Websites that can tell me?  Anything?

Thanks
Enno

Rick

You can call the entire US for free with GV.  Who can call you for free depends on their phone company and the plan they have.  Their company should be able to give them a list if area code and exchanges that are included.    336-555-xxxx, 336-556-xxxx...

Shale

Create a Google Voice account for free. See if you can call your neighbor via your computer. If that works, and it probably will, then order your OBi.

Enno

Rick
Good Idea, I will call them tomorrow and see... I will make sure not to rub it in till after I get the list  ;D

Shale
Another great Idea.  I will call a few of the numbers that I can't dial now via MJ and see if I can via my Google voice.  If it doesn't work how can I tell if any other number will without switching it a hundred times?

Thanks
Enno

Rick

Quote from: Enno on March 18, 2013, 07:44:17 PM
Rick
Good Idea, I will call them tomorrow and see... I will make sure not to rub it in till after I get the list  ;D

Shale
Another great Idea.  I will call a few of the numbers that I can't dial now via MJ and see if I can via my Google voice.  If it doesn't work how can I tell if any other number will without switching it a hundred times?

Thanks
Enno

Let me try this again.  Google Voice doesn't limit what numbers you can call for free.  There is no local or long distance.

Most phone companies have a web function where you can find the exchanges that are local to you, I don't know if Wilkes does or not.

Keep in mind though - while you might get a GV number that is local for your Wilkes neighbor, you have no way to check everyone that might call you.

I would also point out that GV has a feature where from your computer you ring your home phone, which when you pick it up then connects you to the call that GV makes.  That would allow you to call your neighbor, for free, without an OBi.  And, unless they pay to receive calls, it's free for them too.

rogera_bit

If you're happy paying google with your privacy for "Free" GV fine, but there's also SIP Broker to allow free PSTN to SIP calls:

http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers

obitalk is SIP.  Add a real free SIP provider (callcentric, antisip).  Neighbors can use a SIP Broker number local to them to reach you via your free SIP account.

Enno

Rogera_bit you lost me after the first comma... What does all that mean?
SIP Broker, PSTN to SIP calls?

Really would like to know... I don't like giving ALL my info to Google (like they don't already know everything about me  ;D) But I am a cheap bastard and hate paying $20 a month for phone service in my area.

Enno

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: rogera_bit on March 19, 2013, 04:31:33 AM
If you're happy paying google with your privacy for "Free" GV fine, but there's also........
It's been said before, if GV is relying on their message-to-text transcription feature to data mine what you are saying in your GV phone calls, then no worries on my part.  While transcription is a nice feature, I have yet to see one message come through transcribed anywhere near accurate or correct.

azrobert

When you sign up for Google Voice you will be able to pick your GV number from a list.
Before you select the number use the following link to check if it's a local number for your neighbor.

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_rcdist.php

azrobert

Quote from: Enno on March 19, 2013, 06:34:27 PM
But I am a cheap bastard and hate paying $20 a month for phone service in my area.

Enno

How cheap are you?
How much longer do you have on your MJ subscription?

Currently your neighbors can call you.
You can get a GV account.
You can setup your GV account where you call it with your MJ phone and GV will ask if you want to make a new call.
Then dial 2 followed by your neighbor's number.
This will cost you nothing until your MJ subscription ends, then you can buy an OBi.

If you want to go this route, just ask how to set this up.

Felix

I want to go back to OP...

Quote from: Enno on March 18, 2013, 06:32:19 PM
I have a Magic Jack and it works OK but I can not call my neighbors house... They can call me but I can't call them.  I get the "conference call prepaid minute" message with MJ.

You may want to find out why is that! What is so special about their number? As much as I dislike MJ, it should work the same way as Google Voice - free calling to all US numbers. So, if you have trouble calling them over MJ, you may have trouble with GV as well. Can you call them from your cell phone? Can others call them?

Obviously, as Shale said, it's easy to check. Create Google Voice account and call from computer.