News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New hardware anytime soon?

Started by User2020, March 26, 2013, 08:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

User2020

Hello, new user here.  Please be gentle.  I noticed that the Obi202 is discontinued on the newegg.com site.  Does this mean that there is new hardware possibly coming soon?

Thanks Sherman or whoever else can answer  :)

Shale

Quote from: User2020 on March 26, 2013, 08:20:14 AM
I noticed that the Obi202 is discontinued on the newegg.com site. 

Can you give us a link to substantiate your assertion?

User2020

DOH!  I swear, yesterday it was "out of stock", so I signed up for an auto-alert for when it came back in stock.  I got the alert this morning, checked the listing, and it said "Discontinued... we don't know if or when this product will ever be in stock again."

Big apologies... it has changed since earlier this morning.

While the subject is up, does anyone know of any new devices coming down the road?

QBZappy

Quote from: User2020 on March 26, 2013, 09:13:10 AM
While the subject is up, does anyone know of any new devices coming down the road?

I'm not privy to any inside information, but if ever there was an opportunity to start a wish list you certainly provided us one. Let me start building my perfect OBi:

1. Open VPN client
2. Better use of the USB. Perhaps used as VM storage.
3. Ring Tone sampling button
3. GV contact integration as CID/CNAM.
4. Ability to force a Pause in the dial plan (if possible)
5. WebRTC features (as promised on the blog)
6. Develop a decent MOH service
8. Use the system time to make wake up calls (That would be so cool)
9. Click to Call via the portal
10. Growl Integration (Network CID)

Bonus:
11. Reinstate the relay that they quietly removed from an earlier OBi110 version. That couldn't possibly cost that much more to produce. That is a fallback safety feature.

There is a feeling of change in the air. The transition of winter to spring might be a good time for obihai to introduce some innovation.

Now might be the time to issue our opinions in case anyone at obi central is sitting on the fence regarding some new features. I wish they would throw us a bone and let us vote for at least one new feature.

Let the people speak.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

CoalMinerRetired

1. Open VPN client
2. Better use of the USB. Perhaps used as used as VM storage.
5. WebRTP features (as promised on the blog)
Bonus:
11. Reinstate the relay that they quietly removed from an earlier OBi110 version. That couldn't possible cost that much more to produce. That is a fallback safety feature.

12: A scheme for on-board/internal error logging, such that when unexplained crashes occur, there's an automatic push or a pull of the syslog-like log, and automated parsing for and reporting of the root cause.  In layman's terms, you get an email explaining why a crash happened.  Important for devices you administer remotely for distant users/family etc.

giqcass

If we are going down this road I would like to add one.

1. Open VPN client
Bonus:
11. Reinstate the relay that they quietly removed from an earlier OBi110 version. That couldn't possible cost that much more to produce. That is a fallback safety feature.
12: A scheme for on-board/internal error logging, such that when unexplained crashes occur, there's an automatic push or a pull of the syslog-like log, and automated parsing for and reporting of the root cause.  In layman's terms, you get an email explaining why a crash happened.  Important for devices you administer remotely for distant users/family etc.

13. Dynamic DNS update client.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Ostracus

5 is WebRTC I believe. Also if by customer demand Roku was persuaded to bring back 5 Ghz, the Obihai can have a change of heart on the relay.

Actually my feature request is real simple. A pop-up alert on who's calling in the Window's taskbar.

Felix

I'll chime in as well...
14. Digit Map simulator
15. Improved use of gateways
16. Simple IVR capability ("press 1 to call ph1; press 2 to call ph2; press 3 to call VG5; press 9 to leave a voicemail on the new and improved VM server")

User2020

LOL I am scared to get this product now... sounds involved!  And I am a programmer.   :D

Mango

Quote from: QBZappy on March 26, 2013, 01:42:00 PM
11. Reinstate the relay that they quietly removed from an earlier OBi110 version. That couldn't possibly cost that much more to produce. That is a fallback safety feature.

+1

16. For those of us who don't use GV contacts, a simple internal CNAM list so that I can set up names for the dozens of my friends who have cell phones with no CNAM.

Rick

Has anyone see ANY feature request be implemented?  Or are we talking to ourselves?

giqcass

It was probably a fluke lol but they had a test firmware out a few days after I requested sms notifications.

+1 for internal CID list.  As a Google Voice user I would of course rather have GV contact integration but an internal list would be great too.

User2020 don't fear the OBis power.  It can be harnessed for good.  You could also just use the easy setup.

CoalMinerRetired

Added 18 and 19:

1. Open VPN client
Bonus:
12: On-board/internal error logging, when crashes occur have automatic push or pull of the log, with automated parsing and reporting of the root cause.  In layman's terms, you get an email explaining why a crash happened.  Good for devices administered remotely ... distant users/family etc.
13. Dynamic DNS update client.
14. Digit Map simulator
15. Improved use of gateways
16. Simple IVR capability ("press 1 to call ph1; press 2 to call ph2; press 3 to call VG5; press 9 to leave a voicemail on the new and improved VM server")
17. For those of us who don't use GV contacts, a simple internal CNAM list so that I can set up names for the dozens of my friends who have cell phones with no CNAM.
18. An authoritative listing of what star codes do/do not apply to GV. It's a guess on some of them.
19. A dashboard to show the current status of all *xx and *xxxx codes per SP service.

QBZappy

Rick,

Believe it or not if you look back at my earlier posts on feature requests, the recordable IVR was on my feature request list before it came out.

Topic: Allow uploading IVR recording into the device  (Read 1534 times)
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=426.0

Not to suggest that obihai listened. It more than likely is a matter of a lucky guess on my part. AFAIK the OBi is still unique in having that feature. Looking back on the feature request sub-fourm I can spot a few other features which have been addressed. Who knows if they were going to be implemented in any case. Sherman (in marketing) is missing an opportunity to sell the idea to his existing customers that obihai is listening to us when they introduce new features. Perhaps it is a lack of time, or as a result of lawyers suggesting not to credit anyone for product enhancement features, who knows. The point is that I would feel great knowing that a certain feature was implemented as a result of listening to posters on this forum. When was the last time you had any say in what features GM (automaker) should be coming out with in their next model year.

In the beginning it was more obvious to me that they were empathetic to our feature requests. It still may be the case, however since they consciously make an effort to avoid direct contact with us, I can only conclude that it is not important to them to present a human face to us. I can read blogs all day long if I want to. It may be an interesting read but I much prefer the feeling of being invested in a product or service that I consume. A good example of what I am talking about are the folks over at PBX in a Flash. The product/service has developed around a very personable spokesperson, Ward Mundy. I've never met the man, but I get the sense that he "listens". There is an impression of caring.

Here is my previous top 10 list. I'm not certain if we can conclude that they listen or if these are just common sense features/enhancements they needed to add in any case. I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening in on a strategy meeting discussing these things. I can imagine the following:

LOCATION: The obihai boardroom (2105 S. Bascom Avenue, Campbell, CA) Virtual tour of obi central. On the top right if you look carefully, we can almost see the figure of Sherman having a late lunch at his desk after the meeting.

Jan Fandrianto (CEO): "Gentlemen, we need some new ideas!"
Sherman (VP Marketing): "We need to address the Australian market. I plan to introduce the new OBi402 unit at the annual Adelaide (Australia) wine festival. The new burgundy color of the unit should win them over. I have many friends over there."
Selfia Halim (CFO): "I suggest to reduce costs we could drop the OBi110 relay switch. No one will ever notice."
Sam Sin (VP Engineering): "Oh boy, that QBZappy guy is always pushing for new features all the time. I'm finally going to give him that OpenVPN he is always crying for. That might keep him quite for awhile. For the next major upgrade I'm pulling out all the stops. I'm really going to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Gentlemen this is what I'm working on. ... LOUD rock 'n' roll music blasting over the sound system"
Jan Fandrianto (CEO): "Make it so"

Status of my previous Top 10 must have new features in upcoming firmware V1.3
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1169.0

1- My top wish is for proper handling of CID when forking (simultaneous ringing of multiple numbers). (DONE)
2- Improved Syslog. Offering more info such as CID and more error trapping. This one should be an easy one to offer I would imagine. (DONE I think)
3- Additional Service Provider accounts (DONE)
4- Native T.38 Fax support (DONE)
5- Streamline the Call Back options. Not the most elegant impementation in my opinion. I use this feature everyday. (TO DO)
6- OBihai supported CID lookup app. Or at least make the tools available for some of the smart OBi users to develop one which can be shared. (TO DO)
7- AA multilingual and/or allow uploading of IVR voice files (DONE)
8- Gmail ID in COT (DONE)
9- OBi as a Skype gateway. Complete integration or steps to simplify the setup (MAYBE NO INTEREST)
10- Builtin OpenVPN client. Units could be preconfigured and shipped to family and friends. (PRIORITY TO DO!)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I wanted the Skype addition as well.  I doubt it's coming.  
My personal big three are

VPN
DynDns
Call ID lookup  from one of the following places. Google contacts - Internal list - External list - Based on speed dials

IMHO traditional caller ID is becoming less useful.  Custom caller Id is the way to go.

Especially on the OBi202 VPN and Dynamic Dns are important.  The 202 equipped with a wireless adapter could be perfect for traveling.  Wifi can be insecure so you need VPN.  If you are traveling you will be connecting from different IP addresses. So Dynamic Dns is useful.  A lot of us have calls routed directly to the OBi without registration.  For that you need the updated address. 

User2020

Oh no, look at what I started with my post!  :)

Quote from: giqcass on March 27, 2013, 05:07:57 PM
Call ID lookup  from one of the following places. Google contacts - Internal list - External list - Based on speed dials

IMHO traditional caller ID is becoming less useful.  Custom caller Id is the way to go.

I agree with this 100%.  The lack of caller ID names was one of the things that was swaying me between this and another device/service.  But I still went with the Obi and hopefully something will be implemented in the near future.

I have a question for you longtime users... do the Obi folks listen to suggestions often or almost not at all?  My last VOIP provider would bend over backwards to keep their customers happy and would regularly implement new features that were suggested by their users.  I am going to miss them, but the Obi will be less expensive obviously, as long as GV is free.  Thanks for your input.

jwcmb

I haven't had to do a restore from backup yet, but several people on this forum have reported their experience that it's  unreliable.  I don't know if those reports are exceptions or not, or if the restore feature in general is reliable or not.

So I guess a top feature request of mine is if there is any further work needed to be sure that we can in full confidence rely on the configuration restore feature.

giqcass

If you want traditional caller ID check out this post for a free  workaround.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

It seems as though they are either listening or they already have a good idea of what we want.  Many features that have been suggested here have been implemented on the OBi devices.

User2020

Quote from: giqcass on March 27, 2013, 06:35:13 PM
If you want traditional caller ID check out this post for a free  workaround.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

It seems as though they are either listening or they already have a good idea of what we want.  Many features that have been suggested here have been implemented on the OBi devices.

THANKS!

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: jwcmb on March 27, 2013, 06:33:42 PM
I haven't had to do a restore from backup yet, but several people on this forum have reported their experience that it's  unreliable.  I don't know if those reports are exceptions or not, or if the restore feature in general is reliable or not.

So I guess a top feature request of mine is if there is any further work needed to be sure that we can in full confidence rely on the configuration restore feature.

This is getting off track, ... but see last three posts here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4098.msg34381#msg34381

Summary: It does work for the Web Server-Based Local Configuration  (a.k.a The OBi Device Management Web Page a.k.a. called direct IP address access) if you do not use ANY options when creating the backup. I also could not ever get a backup/restore to work, for months and months, until I did it as explained. That was somewhat of a revelation when it started working.  Although I'm not sure I will rely on it...