News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo subscription only good for 12 months OR 5 calls to 911

Started by nekote, March 27, 2013, 12:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nekote

I've been evaluating which E911 vendor would suit me.

Anveo is good for 12 months or 5 calls to 911, which ever comes first.

Have to say, I just can't believe somehow a person would know or have to count up the number of times 911 might have been called in a year.  Mind blowing to me, given the consequence of not having that 6'th call go through, just the same as for non-payment of the subscription.

CallCentric: we do not restrict 911 calling. Meaning, there is no monthly or yearly limit for 911 calls.

giqcass

I can't imagine a policy like that would be necessary.  If someone were abusing 911 the police will probably be the ones putting a stop to it.    In some places they are.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/South-Bend-may-limit-free-911-calls-for-police--195706451.html
Long live our new ObiLords!

Crow550

What if you have real legit reasons to have to call 911 more than 5 times? Will Anveo extend it?

ceg3

That's a good question and one I just emailed to Anveo. ;D  What happens on the 6th attempt to dial 911?

ceg3

Anveo, rather bluntly, came back and stated that if I need unlimited E911 I should go with another E911 service provider and that the subscription expires after the 5 allowed calls.  I'm not planning to need 911 even once over the next 12 months, but if I start using it I should keep count or take their suggestion to look for unlimited.

Ostracus

RFord

Quote from: ceg3 on April 21, 2013, 08:50:05 AM
Anveo, rather bluntly, came back and stated that if I need unlimited E911 I should go with another E911 service provider and that the subscription expires after the 5 allowed calls.  I'm not planning to need 911 even once over the next 12 months, but if I start using it I should keep count or take their suggestion to look for unlimited.

Let's be honest here.  Anveo realize that the bulk of the OBi users is using their service for E911 and nothing else.  I don't think they are too thrilled with this arrangement, since paying $0.80 - $1.00 per month is not something that will generate any income for their business.  Additionally, I believe the 5 call maximum is probably something that they E911 provider impose on them (maybe 6 or 7, Anveo sets it as 5) before additional charges kick in.  I find it hard to believe that the "subscription expires after the 5 allowed calls".  This is very disturbing.  I hope they at least send out a warning when you are approaching the 5th call or have lost the subscription.

ceg3

This is the text of their reply.

Hello,

Subscription to E911 expires after 12 month or after 5 E911 calls are made (whatever comes first). If you need unlimited 911 dialing then you should consider using another E911 service provider.

Regards,

Anveo Support

I sent them a reply to see if there is any kind of warning or whatever, but got no response. Based on this, I believe that the 6th attempt would fail.  However, you will have gotten notice of expiry after the 5th call.  To be honest, I'm not that concerned about it and think that 5 calls will be more than enough for me ..... I certainly hope. :)

giqcass

QuoteHas anyone tried a BT hookup to a cellphone for 911?

I use BT for 911.  It stays connected reliably and I don't need to worry about the internet being out.  You can use a phone without service but I use a prepaid phone from http://www.pagepluscellular.com that cost $10 every 120 days. At the end of that time I add another $10 and the balance rolls over.  

The set up also gives me a backup route for regular calls if the internet goes out.
Long live our new ObiLords!

carl

This is an absolutely ridiculous policy. I have e911 from Callcentric.BTW, I would not 100% rely on that either.
But while Anveo is a good company, quite frankly their way of doing business is somewhat rough compared to their competition.

Jackson

Quote from: lhm. on May 03, 2013, 10:38:12 AM
GV911.com $12 per year.
Pretty lame site.

No info at all about who or where they are.  All the pages that ask for information are unencrypted.