News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setup OBi110 and OBi100 to extend POTS line

Started by aknisley, April 06, 2013, 03:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknisley

Just purchased OBi110 and have it connected to POTS and network. I have a OBi100 on the same network with a regular phone connected.
What I want to do is use phone connected to the OBi100 to make and receive calls using the POTS line connected to the OBi110. Don't want to use OBiTALK software or Google voice.

How do I do that?

hwittenb

aknisley,

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't wish to use the OBiTalk network, to do what you want to do you need to use direct ip calling.  There are various ways to configure this.  This example today assumes you do not want to do anything else with the OBi110/OBi100 pair of adapters.  No GoogleVoice, no voip providers.

You stated that your two adapters were on the same local network.  To start out you need to know the local numeric network ip address of the OBi100 and the OBi110.  Those addresses should not change over time.  In this example I am using 192.168.1.108 for the OBi110 and 192.168.1.110 for the OBi100.  

The example assumes you start with default settings.  I checked it out with a pair of adapters reset to factory defaults.

The OBi100 merely sends the call from the phone attached to the OBi100 to the OBi110 and receives a call from the OBi110

On the OBi100 setup SP1 (ITSP Profile A, SP1 Service) to talk to the OBi110 using the sip protocol:

ITSP Profile A-->SIP-->ProxyServer-->192.168.1.108
ITSP Profile A-->SIP-->ProxyServerPort-->5110
   where 192.168.1.108 is the local network address of the OBi110.  5110 will be the sip port number we setup on the OBi110 SP1.  We could use the default 5060 but I chose not to do that.

Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->X_RegisterEnable (Uncheck)
Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->X_UserAgentPort-->5100
   This is for a unique port number for the OBi100
Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName-->OBi100

On the OBi110 we need to setup SP1 for sip to receive the call from the distant OBi100 and dial the call on the Line Port.  We also need to setup to receive the call on the line port and bridge the call to the distant OBi100.

On the OBi110 setup SP1 (ITSP Profile A, SP1 Service) to receive the call from the distant OBi100:
ITSP Profile A-->SIP-->ProxyServer-->192.168.110
ITSP Profile A__>SIP-->ProxyServerPort-->5100
   where 192.168.1.110 is the local network address of the OBi100.  5100 is the sip port number we setup on the OBi100 SP1.

ITSP Profile A-->SIP-->X_SpoofCallerID  (check)
   this is to pass the incoming caller id to the distant OBi100 when we bridge the incoming PSTN line call

Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->X_RegisterEnable (Uncheck)
Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->X_InboundCallRoute-->{(OBi100)>(1xxxxxxxxxx|Xx.):LI1}
Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->UserAgentPort-->5110
Voice Services-->SP1 Service-->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName-->OBi110

On the OBi110 the incoming PSTN Line call needs to be sent to the distant OBi100
Physical Interfaces-->LINE Port-->InboundCallRoute-->SP1(OBi100@192.168.1.110:5100)
   Note:  The default setting for "RingDelay" is 4-seconds.  This is the time required to receive the incoming caller id on the inbound PSTN Line call.  If you do not care about caller id then you can set the ring delay to 0.

Physical Interfaces-->LINE Port-->Dial Delay-->1000
   My PSTN line required this delay to correctly dial the number

aknisley

Thanks much, I would never have figured that out. I can make calls out from the phone connected to the OBi100 but when I call the POTS phone number, the Phone attached to the OBi100 does not ring. Neither log shows inbound call.

hwittenb

Quote from: aknisley on April 07, 2013, 07:05:50 AM
I can make calls out from the phone connected to the OBi100 but when I call the POTS phone number, the Phone attached to the OBi100 does not ring. Neither log shows inbound call.

The incoming PSTN Line call first comes to the LINE Port on the OBi110.  The InboundCallRoute sends it to the distant OBi using some sip settings and code setup under SP1.  To troubleshoot the problem I would check the basics.

1.  While the phone is ringing log into your OBi110 and look at Status-->PHONE & LINE Status.  The screen that comes up should show Line Port Status "Ringing".  If it doesn't then maybe the OBi has problems detecting the ringing on the line.  There are some settings for that under RingDetection on the Line Port.

2.  If it shows ringing then you could perhaps change the Inbound Routing to ring a phone connected to the OBi110.  You would change the InboundCallRoute on the Line Port from SP1(ip_address:5100) to ph

3.  If that works change the InboundCallRoute back to the SP1 forwarding address.  Check the Status of SP1 under Status-->SystemStatus.  It should say "Registration Not Required".

4.  If that works verify that you have the correct ip address and the correct sip port number.

5.  If that works maybe you network router is blocking incoming calls going to the OBi100 because it didn't first initiate an outgoing request.  Forward the OBi100's sip port in your router to the OBi100.  With direct ip calling, the forwarding is required when the call is coming from outside the local network but often is not when it is within the local network but that depends on your router's firewall.

aknisley

It says ringing. I noticed you say to use potr 5100 and others say 5110. Is that what it should be or was that a typo?

hwittenb

It wasn't a typo.  The port number used in the ip address setup on the OBi110 should match the Sip Port Number you setup on SP1 on the OBi100.  The port number is just a number that is part of the ip address.  The number can be most anything.

hwittenb

Quote from: aknisley on April 07, 2013, 08:56:45 AM
It says ringing. I noticed you say to use potr 5100 and others say 5110. Is that what it should be or was that a typo?
There was a mistake in the original posting.  The InboundCallRoute in the SPA110 LinePort should be
SP1(OBi100@ip_address:5100)
You need to include the UserName in the address.

I corrected the original posting

aknisley

Well I have done all the changes several times. Reset and went through the configuration again and still no phone ringing at OBi110. I have tried different ports too. The SP1(OBi100@192.168.1.110:5100) I tried OBi100@192.168.1.110:5100 and admin@192.168.1.110:5100 . Mine is actually 192.168.0.19 for the 100 and 192.168.0.18 for the 110.
What am I missing? The router is an Actiontec Q2000, two line bonding DSL router. I have a filter in the line.

hwittenb

I am not sure of the problem.  You said that calls from the OBi100 to the OBi110 worked OK.  That says that SP1 is setup on the OBi110.  You said that calls did not show up on the OBi100 or the OBi110 Call History.  The problem can be in the OBi's or in the router.

I would run a quick test and see if you can send the call from the OBi110 to the OBi100 using the OBiTalk network.  That should be a simple change of the OBi110 LINE Port InboundCallRoute.  Change it to PP(ob3001234567) where ob3001234567 is your OBiNumber for the OBi100, the OBi you are sending the call to.  You can find your OBiNumber on the Status-->SystemStatus page under Product Information.  It should work right off with the default settings.  The call should go to the OBi100 to the phone attached to the OBi100.

Back to the direct ip calling.  The call gets to the OBi110.  You checked that it is ringing.  We need to see if the OBi110 sends a sip INVITE to the OBi100 and if so if there is any response.  I would run a Syslog Trace on the OBi110 and look for that information.  To setup a Syslog Trace you download and install a syslog program on your computer.  You put the computer's local network ip address under Syslog Server on the SystemManagement-->DeviceAdmin-->Syslog--Server field.  Also on the VoiceServices-->SP1 Service page you set X_SipDebugOption to "Log All Messages".

OBi has a syslog program that will run on a Windows computer that you can download here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=707.0

If the OBi110 sends the INVITE and gets no response I would also run the trace on the OBi100 to see if the Sip INVITE arrives there.

Edit: The Actiontec Q2000 modem/router is reported to have sip alg feature as part of its firewall.  If enabled I would disable the feature.  It is widely reported to cause trouble with voip.
http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-q2000-support-sip-alg.html

aknisley

I turned SIP-ALC off in the router--no difference. Tried PP(ob3001234567) and that worked. Changed back to SP1(OBi100@192.168.1.110:5100) and now it works. Have a little echo but will read more on that later.

Thanks so much for helping me.

FYI the POTS line is two miles away. I am using a point-to-point bridge from the building to home. I am locked into a phone Internet contract at the building. Want to disconnect the home phone to save $60/mo. Building has local and long distance calling.

hwittenb

Quote from: aknisley on April 08, 2013, 07:04:06 AM
FYI the POTS line is two miles away. I am using a point-to-point bridge from the building to home.

Glad to know you got it working.  Two miles sounds like a long wifi shot.  Are there any trees in the way?  What kind of equipment does it take to do that?  What kind of bandwidth do you end up with?

Edit:  Here is an old posting concerning another brand of adapters by a telco engineer about echo that I thought was interesting
http://forum.voxilla.com/threads/spa-3102-handling-echo.11825/#post-55631

aknisley

I owned a WISP for a while. I am using two Mikrotik sxt 5hnd. No trees. I think the bandwidth is 25mb but don't remember. The building is 30' high and the remote location is on nigher ground and a 70' tower.

TodWulff

Just a quick note to say thanks for this useful question and thorough response.  It is very much appreciated.

-t