News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using the PSTN line

Started by Hortoristic, April 10, 2013, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

So it was cheaper to get 3 package deal from Comcast for my TV, Internet and land line.  I've already ported my real landline number to GV a couple years back and am happy with GV.  However; I had been paying voip.ms $3 a month ($1.49 for a DID and $1.49 for E911) for my 911 services. 

Since I now have E911 included in my package, I'm thinking of dropping my voip.ms account for this and only use it for my outbound UK calls.

So two questions -
1 - I have my OutboundCallRoute 911 settings at the very beginning of this line to dial 911 calls out on my SP2 which is voip.ms - what change do I make to instead use the plugged in line from the Comcast modem box instead of {911:sp2} maybe it should be {911:ph} ?
{911:sp2},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):ph1},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

2 - For those rare times GV is down, what characters or numbers do I dial on handset to make a call out the PSTN line instead of my default SP so I can make calls with Comcast instead?

Shale

1. If you use OBiTalk to set things up, I would use OBiTalk to make the 911 change.
For the PSTN line, click the gear icon.
Select the box for "Use This Service for Emergency 911 Calls
When 911 is called via the OBi this service will be used."
Then on the device page, look at the table under Phone Port Configuration Summary for the "Emergency Service Call Routes to:" row. If it does not say to use the line, then you may have to uncheck the 911 box for voip.ms.

2. ***8

Hortoristic

Since I have some unique settings, I don't use Obitalk to configure my settings - I use the IP of the OBI device.

Shale

1a. I am pretty sure {911:sp2} would become {911:li} ,  (li would stand for Line) but I don't have a 110.

2a. Pressing the # key initially should get you connected directly to the analog PSTN. This differs from **8 in that you dial the number after **8 and the OBi110 spits the number to the PSTN all at once when you finish.

ianobi

Hortoristic,

Shale is on the right lines (sorry about the pun), but something does not add up here.

Quote1 - I have my OutboundCallRoute 911 settings at the very beginning of this line to dial 911 calls out on my SP2 which is voip.ms - what change do I make to instead use the plugged in line from the Comcast modem box instead of {911:sp2} maybe it should be {911:ph} ?
{911:sp2},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):ph1},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

This is the OutboundCallRoute of an OBi202. You cannot connect a PSTN line directly to an OBi202. You do need an OBi110, which should be ok for your GV, voip.ms and PSTN line.

Hortoristic

Gosh, what a drag - I didn't realize my 202 didn't support a PSTN line.  I needed 4 service providers is why I got the 202. 

I'm not sure getting an OBI 110 also and trying to figure out how to merge the 202 and 110 with my home phone system would work out either.  Might just be cheaper and easier to buy a 2 line cordless phone system, and plug the 2nd line into the Comcast ATA.