News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming Google Voice Calls Directed To Cell Phone Voice Mail

Started by AllenRM, April 16, 2013, 10:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenRM

Whenever someone calls my Google Voice number and no one answers the phone, they are  unable to reach my Google voice mail. The caller is directed to my cell phone's voice mail but since it is not set up (on purpose), the caller gets a message that voice mail is not set up and the call is terminated without any chance to leave a message.  My cell phone is the phone that calls are forwarded to.  It rings whenever anyone calls my Google number so that people can reach me if I am not at home.  When I call my Google number from my cell phone, it goes to Google voice mail if no one answers it.  Is there a way to have other calls go to Google voice mail instead of my cell phone voice mail which isn't setup?

Rick

Likely a basic issue.  GV voicemail answers in 25 seconds, about 5 rings. If you're forwarding to your cell all the time, and it's off or in use, then its voicemail will answer.  Two options, both under Advanced Options in GV.  First, you can setup GV as the voicemail provider on your cell.  And you can even tell it to ring other phones, i.e. the Gtalk which rings the OBi, before leaving a voicemail.  Or, uncheck the forwarding box on GV, or setup a schedule for when to forward to it.

AllenRM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your suggestion about having GV handle voice mail for my cell phone.  That solved the problem.  I had tried that last night but when I punched the 18 digit code into my cell phone, I got an error message.  But after reading your suggestion, I decided to try it again and it accepted the code.  I then called my Google number from another land-line phone and everything worked OK.  I also called my cell phone and it now goes to GV voicemail.  Thanks again for your help.