News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SecurityEnabled

Started by guyinsb, April 21, 2013, 12:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyinsb

When using the web UI through the LAN port of an OBi202 with an attached wifi dongle,
clicking on WiFi Settings displays settings (SSID and Password) for up to 20 access points.
An additional value is shown for each access point:  SecurityEnabled.
However, SecurityEnabled does not appear to be settable.
In addition, it is shown as YES for access point 1, and NO for the other 19 access points.

Does this mean that if multiple access points are configured, only one can have security?
My testing suggests that this is the case.

guyinsb

I retract my assertion that a secure connection is only possible via access point 1.
After waiting a bit (on the order of 5 minutes), my obi202 with wifi securely connected to my wireless router
using the SSID configured in access point 2.  I have only seen this happen once so far.
However, the obiconnect.com/wifi page reports "Disconnected" (in conflict with IP address obtained via DHCP,
as shown in WiFi Status on the web UI page).

But after a power cycle, the obi202 nearly always fails to reliably connect within 5 minutes (i.e. the behavior is not tolerable).  I give up after 5 minutes and power cycle again; as stated, I have only observed a connection once.

When I change the configuration to use only access point 1 (configured with the same SSID and password),
I reliably get a connection.  It takes a bit more than a minute to get internet access after the power cycle.

guyinsb

There is no way to set the value of SecurityEnabled using the OBiTalk portal,
or the local webpage UI.  However, connecting locally and browsing to
http://obiconnect.com/wifi brings up the "OBiWiFi" configuration page.
Using that tool to add a network (i.e SSID and WPA2 password) does produce a configuration
(visible from the local webpage UI) where the entries for both Access Point 1 and Access Point 2 are
populated, and each show SecurityEnabled as Yes.  And in fact a connection is made to the AP2 network.
However, the tool also sets the value of PreferredAccessPoint to Access Point 2.
If I use the webpage UI to set the value of PreferredAccessPoint to None, then power cycle the router,
the entries for Access Point 2 are all erased!

My current guess is that setting wifi values using the local webpage UI is not a good idea.
The dedicated obiconnect.com/wifi page seems to be the safe way to go.

giqcass

If you use the web interface the settings there will override settings you make locally.  You can use one or the other but not both.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.0

I use the local interface and this is what I see.  If the AP uses security the Obi will show security options.  If the AP does not use security you will not see security options.  If you add the connection manually you must choose the security settings.

You should not need to toggle security on or off.  The AP will broadcast it's state and the Obi will use that information during setup.

Long live our new ObiLords!