News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Military Support VoIP Service

Started by PortableTech, April 22, 2013, 11:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PortableTech

Greetings All,

Quite some time ago with the great assistance of generous hardware donations from OBi, a large service donation from Vitelity, and a satellite internet connection we were able to provide some free phone service for members of the military serving at FOB Salerno, Afghanistan.  Unfortunately, the service credit has run it's course and we are nearing the end.  I am looking to see if there are any other providers who would be willing to step up and take the place of Vitelity to allow us to continue this service.

We are currently processing approximately 75-80 hours/month of phone calls on this service, and as such any and all assistance is appreciated.  While we can not offer much other than our thanks and heartfelt gratitude, I will ensure that those that use your service are aware of who made the contribution and would be happy to express our gratitude in other ways as possible, though with the nature of a military FOB, we do have obvious limitations.

Any provider wishing to discuss this or wishing more details may feel free to reach out to me.  Thank you for your time and attention.

-- PortableTech

dircom

Couldn't you position one obi overseas, and another in the US, tied to a phone line in someone's home?
Pay for one PSTN line with unlimited USA LD calling in the US

that way you call obi to obi for free, then dial out on the PSTN line using an OBI 110
and you could call from overseas to any US # for the price of one PSTN line with unlimited LD

or get all the US based family's to buy an OBI, they only cost $30-$40
and call obi to obi for free

Shale

Were you looking for Ethernet bandwidth or for public switched telephone network connectivity? If PSTN connectivity, have you tried Google Voice?

Encino_Stan

Can you clarify what it is you need? Is it outbound from Salerno to US only? Is the only thing missing VOIP service that Vitelity was providing?

I think you are asking for someone to donate outbound service from OBI to US POTS with usage of 75-80 hours/month.

PortableTech

To clarify, we have the infrastructure, we have the hardware, we just need voip service from Salerno to USA.  In the end if worse comes to worse, I will foot the bill, but figure since getting backers went well the first time I would make an attempt to see if we could find another.

--PortableTech

dircom

If you have an obi where you are, why can't you connect to an obi in the USA for FREE?

Smee

Quote from: PortableTech on April 25, 2013, 04:48:35 AM
To clarify, we have the infrastructure, we have the hardware, we just need voip service from Salerno to USA.  In the end if worse comes to worse, I will foot the bill, but figure since getting backers went well the first time I would make an attempt to see if we could find another.

--PortableTech

If VoIP is all you need, why not set up a Google Voice Account.  It's free for now and has been for a long, long while.  The only place you will have an issue calling is Puerto Rico.

Take care...

Carlos

QBZappy

If I remember correctly they are connected to the internet via satellite. I suspect that they will need to use the lowest bandwidth voice codec. They most likely will need to use 729 codec (or better). Some of the solutions being mentioned such as GV use 711 codec which consumes more bandwidth. I don't know if the OBiTALK service can handle 729 codec.

PortableTech, is this a technical requirement on your end?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

PortableTech

Sorry for the slow response, things have been a little crazy this last week.

In the beginning, we certainly found that the lowest bandwidth codecs were ideal if not essential most days.  We have since been able to secure a better satellite connection and have a 4Mbps link now which can support the G.711 without too much issue as long as the sky is clear. 

In response to a few comments on the thread so far.  While a connection to an OBi back in the states does work pretty well, there are really quite few POTS lines still around.  Even more, they often would cost more for some form of an unlimited service than a VoIP provider would charge.  Additionally, you are in a way adding an extra leg to the connection by putting an additional OBi in as a relay to your final destination.  We are already at about 800ms lag with the link as it is, so keeping additional lag down is a good thing.

As for using Google Voice, we have looked at that, and for some reason while I was able to use that solution on an OBi at home, it is no where as reliable or clear as our Vitelity connection has been.  As for why this is occurring I wish I knew, but choppy and hard to understand calls make for unhappy families.

Please let me know if there are any other questions.

--PortableTech

lhm.

Sipsorcery.com + Numerous GV accounts = $35.00 Annually

giqcass

You should contact Voxeo directly.  I feel like they might be willing to help if you reached out.  They dole out a lot of resources to developers as it is. 

http://voxeo.com/contact-voxeo/

USA: +1 (407) 965 1112
Germany: +49 2203 1857-0
Europe/UK: +44 (0) 1707 290 433
Asia: +86 (10) 82825011

Long live our new ObiLords!

Sam_from_CircleNet

If you are still looking contact me off list and I'll help.

Sam
CircleNet LLC