News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 doesn't receive incoming calls to Google Voice number

Started by obiuser2011, January 23, 2011, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obiuser2011

Google Voice is configured as Service Provider 1 and will call out on the connected phone successfully.  Calls to Google number do not ring same phone connected to OBi110 that successfully calls out. Connected same phone to telco and it rings when called.

- Updated to latest firmware (OBi110-1-1-0-1832.fw) prior to configuring.

- Created new Google account and phone number for exclusive use with OBi.

- Not logged into associated Google account.

- New Google Voice account works with "Call" feature within Google Voice.

- Disabled SIP ALG on router.

- Bypassed router altogether.

- Deleted device in OBiTALK twice - once before new Google account and number and once after.

obiuser2011

The fix was:

Went into Google Voice, "Settinging" > "Phones" > "Forwards to", put a check mark in the box next to "Google chat". It was not checked after I created the account.

Agate

My fix:
1) Ensure that in http://google/voice  under Settings/Voice Settings/Phones, Forwards to: that Google Chat is checked
2) If you want to remain logged into the gmail account that hosts your google voice number, then in Gmail under  Settings, then the Chat tab, change the Call Phones setting to Call Phones:   choosing Disable outbound voice calling.

The down side to this is you can not use the chat function in Gmail, not only does a Gtalk not work in gmail but the Send SMS (from gmail labs) does not work either. A work around for Windows based PC's  would be to install http://desktop.google.com/ then add the GTalk gadget to the desktop. Now you will have chat back on your desktop. If your MAC/OsX based use an IM client like iChat or Adium.

If your using a chrome browser, the Extension: Google Voice (by Google) still shows your google voice message count and clicking on it allows you from your browser tool bar area the ability to call, text, or see your google voice inbox.

QBZappy

Agate

Another workaround for your second scenario if you use firefox is to install the "Google Voice Add-on" found here http://thatsmith.com/2009/03/google-voice-add-on-for-firefox . This add on gives you the ability to send SMS, and Google voice dial out from the  browser. Just another way to get around that problem.

Best way really is to have a dedicated Google voice account.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Agate

A better way, that does not involve changing our outbound call phones settings:

Better fix:
1) Ensure that in http://google.com/voice  under Settings/Voice Settings/Phones, Forwards to: that Google Chat is checked
2) Sign out of chat in http://gmail.com . Your Chat window is likely on the left side unless you are using a Labs feature to place in on the right of your gmail. Sign out of chat by locating the chat area an finding the "Sign out of chat" option in the pull down along side your name. Your successful when you see a gray offline icon ball next to your name.

The advantages to this better scheme, is that you keep your google account with all its history/contacts/voiceMail etc.  If your on the road and need to make or receive calls through your browser, simply sign back into Chat (the Sign into chat option is just below your chat name in the chat side bar). Now you can receive inbound calls in gmail. (No need to switch the forwarding settings in http://google.com/voice, you can safely leave #1 above set to forward to Google Chat).

kb_hunter

If you are signed into chat, there is another issue worth noting. You cannot set your mode to "invisible". Because Obitalk is also active on the Gchat, Google says "oops I am sorry, you cannot become invisible".

So, logging out of chat is really the only good option if you are using a non-dedicated account GV.

jmsnyc

I have a different solution.

I have a free sipgate account on SP2 of my obi110.   Instead of forwarding my incoming calls to Google Chat I forward them to my sipgate number.  It rings the same phone so to me no difference.  Outgoing calls work the same.

Please comment if you think there are flaws in this solution.

earthtoobi

Jmsnyc: Outgoing calls are not the same. Note that you are registered with Sipgate from your ATA device. when you place a call, it goes through SIpgate and is no more free ....with google chat, calling to US destinatons is free.

your outgoing call through sipgate might have gone through fine since they might have given some starter credits...

jmsnyc

I have money with sipgate because I pay for 911 with them so it is possible that I am eating into that money but how are my calls going through sipgate?

If I dial out on sp1 I am using obihai's method of connecting to google voice, the ring back is not working properly so my method might be flawed anyway but I still do not think the call is being charged to sipgate unless I diall the **2 code first.

earthtoobi

jmsync:
you have not said what you use for Sp1.
1. what have you configured in SP1?
2. Assume SIpgate in Sp2.
3. what you have setup as primary line for the phone port.(sp1 or sp2)?

RonR

jmsnyc,

Simply looking the OBi Call History should clear up any mystery of what path your calls are actually taking.

jmsnyc

Quote from: earthtoobi on September 13, 2011, 08:20:00 AM
jmsync:
you have not said what you use for Sp1.
1. what have you configured in SP1?
2. Assume SIpgate in Sp2.
3. what you have setup as primary line for the phone port.(sp1 or sp2)?

SP1 is Google Voice and primary

Quote from: Agate on January 25, 2011, 03:05:48 PM
A work around for Windows based PC's  would be to install http://desktop.google.com/ then add the GTalk gadget to the desktop. Now you will have chat back on your desktop. If your MAC/OsX based use an IM client like iChat or Adium.

If your using a chrome browser, the Extension: Google Voice (by Google) still shows your google voice message count and clicking on it allows you from your browser tool bar area the ability to call, text, or see your google voice inbox.

So If I use Google Desktop, I can be logged into Google Chat without it affecting my incoming calls?  I do not really want to install it because I feel it takes over your whole pc.

I currently have the GV Extension in Chrome but that doesnt help me if I want to use to chat.

newtothescene

I'm having the same problem with my phone not ringing  with goggle voice.
I changed the setting - goggle voice>setting>phones>forward to ...to the goggle chat icon and the phone is still not ringing. I've tried clicking on both home and goggle chat icons and phone doesn't ring. The phone calls out good though.
Any suggestions?  

Yardvaark

Not sure if this problem in right category here.

I had GV number working fine with Obi 110. Tried to add another GV number as SP2. Could not get both numbers to work and finally deleted SP2. Now, when I try to call GV number with my mobile, I get Google Voicemail wanting me to enter my PIN number. I just want to be able to call my original GV number (using my mobile that is linked to that account) and have it ring the phone that is connected to the OBI. (I get me messages off of that answering machine.) Explored many setting changes but cannot find anything that fixes this. Do not know if I need to fix in Obitalk or GV settings. I am easily stumped by any language beyond "phone" or "mobile phone" so please go easy on tech talk.

Stewart

GV settings, Phones tab, click Edit for your mobile phone, click Show advanced settings.  Under "Direct access to voicemail ...", choose no.  Click Save.

Detoxer

I just tried to install the Obi110.  It will call out with Google Voice.  However, in GV under phones there is no option for "forward to google chat."  I have looked on the internet and there are a number of people complaining about this. 

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

RonR

You have to make at least one outgoing call from your Gmail account for the Google Chat forwarding phone to be created in your Google Voice account.

getstarted

I have the same problem.  Not able to receive calls to obi connected phone. outgoing calls are okay.  I have tried all the suggestions in this thread.  and followed the instructions (http://obihai.com/tutorial1.html) couple of times, still no use.  Any help?  is it a defective item? 

jimates

Quote from: getstarted on March 04, 2012, 06:37:04 AM
I have the same problem.  Not able to receive calls to obi connected phone. outgoing calls are okay.  I have tried all the suggestions in this thread.  and followed the instructions (http://obihai.com/tutorial1.html) couple of times, still no use.  Any help?  is it a defective item?  
If outgoing calls using google voice from the Obi are successful then the problem is not likely the device. If you have an Obi110 with a land line connected, make sure the outgoing calls are indeed going out over google voice and not the land line.

1 - Did you make one successful call from within gmail using google chat.
2 - Did you check the box for "Google Talk" as a forwarding phone on your google voice page.
3 - Make sure you do not have your gmail account open in a browser window while trying to receive calls to the Obi.
4 - Make sure you do not have any conflicting apps running on a smart phone while trying to receive calls to the Obi (Groove IP, Talkatone etc.)
5 - Make sure the X_InboundCallRoute for the google voice SP includes "ph".

getstarted

1 - Did you make one successful call from within gmail using google chat.

I missed the first one itself.  I was able to setup the rest of the steps, so i thought it is fine.  Once i make a call using gmail, it started working.  Thanks for pointing out that.