News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't place call to/from Sprint phone to/from other google voice devices

Started by glenviewjeff, April 24, 2013, 05:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenviewjeff

This probably isn't unique to Sprint, but I've discovered since switching my home phone to Google Voice as well as my Sprint phone using ObiTalk, I can no longer place calls between home and mobile.  Both home and mobile share the same Google Voice telephone number.

Calls placed to the Google Voice number from home or mobile go straight to voicemail access, because Google Voice expects I want to check my voice mail, as opposed to ring my other phones.

From what I recall, I can't even solve this by adding another GV number, because you can't forward calls from one GV number to another.  Are there others with this problem?  Any workarounds?

Rick

From what I've read over the past months, people need to think before doing this.

Sprint and GV got together and said you could integrate things.  Great.  And of course you can integrate the OBi and GV and give them the same number.  Then, the phone plugged into the OBi and the cell phone have the same number - they are integrated.  When someone calls the number, both ring at the same time. 

Nobody tries to figure out ahead of time how they are going to call their home phone, when it's the same number...

You have to go into your GV options and Disable Voicemail Access in Advanced Settings for the Google Chat Forwarding phone selection.

glenviewjeff

Rick, it's actually not that simple--of course I thought about it before doing it.  Disabling voicemail access doesn't work with Sprint Google Voice users--it's a known bug in Sprint+Google Voice.  It ends up that we have to get a secondary Google account and use that account's number to ring the home phones from the Sprint phone with the shared number. 

Incidentally, I ended up having to replace my OBi110 with an OBi202 so I could do this and still get 911 service.

Armada

I actually just got done setting up my new 100 at the house and also use Sprint and Verizon... so my GV # goes to all 3 phones.

In GV Settings, under PHONE hit EDIT under your cell phone # then SHOW ADVANCED OPTIONS then under VOICEMAIL ACCESS select NO then SAVE. Do this for all the cell phones you have connected to that account...

Now, under PHONE you have your GOOGLE CHAT (which is your Obi) hit EDIT and under VOICEMAIL ACCESS select NO then SAVE.

Now whenever you call your GV # from any of your phones it will ring all of them.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.