News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dropped calls, poor quality voice, deteriorating service

Started by virtualy, April 30, 2013, 01:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

virtualy

Google voice via Comcast modem/router and OBi 202.  I started a trouble ticket but have not yet solved the problem.

I have:
Upgraded firmware
Forced 100 Mbps
Connected OBi directly to the modem/router
Connected OBi to a switch, then to the modem/router
Switched from a cordless to a corded phone

No joy.  The dropped calls continued and we got frequent reports that we sounded like "we were underwater".  At some point we stopped receiving calls.  Callers went to GV voicemail after several rings.  Meanwhile, our phone(s) never rang.

I am wondering if this is a relatively common experience or if I have a defective unit.  I have Googled it and checked this forum for similar posts but am not convinced either way.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shale

Go to pingtest.net and check your line. If no problem, such as packet loss, occurs, try testing during a test call.

I am guessing that the problem that you describe is intermittent. Compare tests during problem times vs non-problem times.

virtualy

Pingtest showed no problems with my connection, even during a call.  "Problem times" seemed constant.  Every call got dropped if long enough.  Actually, the test via pingtest is the first time I've used the affected phone in a couple weeks.  Both my wife and I quit using the OBi connected phone because it was so unreliable.

I bought the OBihai on Amazon and they are willing to take it back.  OBi tech support has been unable to help.

Thanks.

Ostracus

Ostracus

virtualy

202 is connected directly to SMCD3G.  It does not go through my home's router.  I have limited control of SMCD3G.

Ostracus

You may have a double-NAT situation.

virtualy

Sorry, I speak only limited sysadmin.  Care to expand that thought?

Ostracus

SMCD3G--->Obi202--->Router I assume is your setup

The first is doing NAT and DHCP. What that means is the Obi202 needs to be in "bridge" mode. That basically turns off the router part, leaving the ATA. You'll have to access the "router configuration"--->"LAN settings" menu and chose "OperationMode:Bridge" instead of the default "Router" then reboot.

virtualy

Nope.
SMCD3G --> Airport (LAN1)
SMCD3G --> OBi 202 (LAN2)

4 ethernet ports on back of SMCD3G.  I'm using the first two.

Thanks.

Shale

As a test, consider disconnecting SMCD3G --> Airport (LAN1) temporarily while you make a test call.

virtualy

I did as you suggested.  Disconnected home network from modem/router, leaving OBi as sole device.  Still having continuously dropped calls, frequent reports of bad sound quality.

CoalMinerRetired

Try the generically VoIP Quality Tests listed here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5803.msg37497#msg37497

See if they point to anything in particulate.

virtualy

VOIP Quality Test results:

Phone Power:
Jitter 43.8 ms - too unpredictable.
All else good (download, upload, packet loss, MOS score)

voipqualitytest.com:
Jitter 126.8 ms - too unpredictable
Consistency of Service 18% - unable to produce constant stream of data (poor voice quality)
All else good (packet loss, MOS score, etc)

Both tests showed a shockingly low download speed, though good enough for VOIP, and upload speeds were lower than expected as well, though again, good enough for VOIP.  The download speeds were nowhere near the results I get when I run various other speed tests.  Don't know what that means, though apparently it is unimportant to the problem at hand.

So, my jitter is bad, as is consistency of service.  Are these problems caused by my ISP?  Modem?  OBi?  The magnetosphere?  IOW, whats my next step?

BTW, thanks to all who have taken the time to help.

CoalMinerRetired

No straight answer right now. But a few points to consider:

- One of the tests states 'run at least three times to determine consistent results'. If you do that and it still points to jitter we have a likely suspect.

- Can you possibly take your entire Obi + analog phone setup out of/remove from your network and move it to someone else's network/someone else's cable modem, for a few minutes of calls and testing, i.e., neighbor, friend, family?  The expected results here will be to look for better call quality, and if you run the same tests on another network less jitter.  I'd say use the same analog handset to eliminate any doubts that is the issue, even though things point to something else.

- Post back what you observe. Going forward, I'd suggest you get in touch with Comcast, their front line support is not always that insightful, but you say something like 'I'm trying to use a VoIP phone, call quality is making it unusable, tests show 'packet loss' or 'excessive high levels of jitter' (or whatever), can you please send someone out to analyze/investigate?  Key point is keep it simple in initial reports to their support, get those words in trouble ticket and their technician knows what to look for if/when truck rolls to your place.

Shale

Quote from: virtualy on May 04, 2013, 10:28:32 PM

So, my jitter is bad, as is consistency of service.  Are these problems caused by my ISP?  Modem?  OBi?  The magnetosphere?  IOW, whats my next step?

ISP probably, but you should probably try the tests again with a computer that is wired rather than WiFi. Also consider asking a neighbor with the same service to try those tests.

If the problem was the modem, I would have expected packet.

Those tests certainly explain your poor voice quality