News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

The 1.1 firmware also permits any standard SIP phone to register with the OBi110

Started by cosmicwombat, February 04, 2011, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmicwombat

I found "The 1.1 firmware also permits any standard SIP phone to register with the OBi110 as a service" mentioned a few places and I wonder how to register my sip phone to the OBi100... I have most up to date FM.

My goal is to register it as backup proxy on an Aastra or Snom or Polycom hand set. Then direct calls from the SIP phone to the POTS line. Even better would be to prepare the box to also be an extension on an asterisk box for interconnecting the phone port to legacy intercoms.

I am more concerned about having a device that can be a backup to POTS for at least one SIP IP desk phone.

So, I can only guess that this would be done in the gateways and trunks... but trying to register in either place has not worked. I get "[11-02-04]20:45:40.220 | Warning | AbstractPhone | "SIP registration failed; reason: 'SipError'; SIP error-code: 501; error-phrase: 'Not Implemented'" | ?"

QBZappy

This is how I setup my Obi with Asterisk. Worked for me

See this thread:
General Support > Installation and Set-Up (Devices) > Setup Asterisk (FreePBX) with Obi to use the AA features of the Obi

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

See this tread also to setup Obi as an FXO

General Support > Installation and Set-Up (Devices) > Possible to use OBi110 to as an FXO port on an Asterisk server?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

cosmicwombat

Hey QBZappy, thanks for the reply...

But, i am not asking about Asterisk and the OBi...

I am seeing hints that I can register or peer a "standard SIP phone" with the OBi. I am going to try and attach a diagram of what I am trying to accomplish.

biomesh

I think the gateway setup is where this would be configured, but until someone figures out the syntax or one of the OBI folks post example configs, your only option is to use the ObiApp as a proxy to an Obi110. (this is assuming you are using a softphone).

obiliving

OBi110 does not support inbound client REGISTRATION.
If you want to use it as PSTN gateway to support legacy SIP devices, w/o an IPPBX (like Asterisk),
you can try something like this:
1. Use Static IP address (or reserve a fixed IP address on DHCP Server) for OBi
2. Use SP1 (or SP2) as the interface to the legacy devices;
   give SP1 a AuthUserName (userid), say 5000, and ProxyServer = IP address of one of your
   legacy devices to receive incoming PSTN calls from OBi
3. Set SP1 inbound call route = LI    //send all calls to LINE Port
4. Set LINE Port inbound call router = SP1      //send all calls to the designated legacy device
5. Assume your legacy devices has a 2nd line (or backup) service. Set the
    Proxy server address of that 2nd line service to point to OBi's SP1 Address and Port.
   Tell these devices not to register w/ Proxy either; just
   make and receive calls with it

Notes:
- OBi does not challenge inbound INVITE on SP1 or SP2.
- You can set up AccessList on SP1 or SP2 to limit which IP addresses can access it, if
  you need a bit more security. If they are all on the same private subnet, that should not
  be a big concern.
- The main limitation is that inbound calls can only be routed to ring
   one of the legacy devices. (It is possible to ring 2 devices at once if you also designate SP2
   to point to a second legacy device; and set LINE Port inbound call route=SP1,SP2)

Let us know how it goes.

QBZappy

It must be possible to setup an IP phone to register to the Obi app. Of course this would require a computer to be running as well. Then you could have an IP phone connected to the Obi without a PBX. I tried to test this with my Grandstream IP phone (GXP1200), however settings wont stick if I don't fill out all the account details. The Obi app does not need a password for example. If someone else can try it on their IP phones and let us know. If they were able to dial out using Obi this way.

QBZappy

I found this thread explaining the intended use of the gateway setup page.

Look here:
General Support > Installation and Set-Up (Devices) > Gateways and Trunk Groups setup

The Gateway setup allows a single stage dialing from other trusted devices.  Also, we have not enabled our configuration wizard yet.

I sounds like it for for setting up between other Obi deices.

cosmicwombat

Well, I have made progress. Using the Bria softphone ( I am sure x-lite would work too ) I set up the ext to the OBi110 and route SP1 to accept calls and send them to the LI port. It does indeed call out the POTS.

I am now trying to get an Aastra 6757i to failover to the pots. I have a failover lab working, what I don't have is the Aastra dialing out as the Bria did. It is switching to backup, but the calls are not completing.

Pretty sure I need to change the testing environment a bit. Very encouraging nonetheless.

jthacker48

Could you outline the settings that you are using for your Bria soft phone?  I've bought it for iPad, desktop pc, and android phone.  I'd like to get them working with my Obi110.