News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What's new in FW 3.0.1 (Build: 3878)?

Started by N7AS, May 04, 2013, 11:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N7AS

I just received a firmware update for my OBi202 yesterday 3.0.1 (Build: 3878). Does anyone have any idea what it fixes and/or adds as features?

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

CoalMinerRetired

Don't know, its not posted anywhere on here.

I do see the yellow icon in the ObiTalk portal on my Obi202 indicating a new firmware is available. So I'll be interested to hear what's new, especially in light of some mystery reboots I've been having.

Alaska99

Why it's so long to release changelog.....?
Wakeup Obihai!! do you forget what you did in last release?

CoalMinerRetired

I clicked the upgrade icon today, and compared an XML export of prior firmware version (3741) to new firnware version (3878).

Found four new fields, X_UseAnonymousFROM, found under ITSP_Profile > SIP.  Sounds like these feilds correspond to some kind of SIP transaction, not totally clear what they do. Default is disabled (unchecked).

QBZappy

CoalMinerRetired

When hovering over the question mark over on the right side, it appears to be a way to block outgoing CID.

What other changes did you note?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

I noted syslog has a TAG field. DnsLookupType in Auto firmware update. Also look at star code 31. FaxPayloadType in codec.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Ostracus on May 11, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
I noted syslog has a TAG field. DnsLookupType in Auto firmware update. Also look at star code 31. FaxPayloadType in codec.
I got curious why these fields didn't show in the comparison I did.  In the 3741 export I have, all those fields are present, note that I did not look at the actual device interface web pages to confirm, only the XML export.

Quote from: QBZappy on May 11, 2013, 03:36:53 PM
What other changes did you note?
Nothing else. Four more rows in the 3878 export (vs. 3741) being these four fields, one in each ITSP profile account. Only checked the basic exports made with no options included, did not look at anything in the screens, for example new values in drop down lists or any changes to default values, etc. 

It is curious that Obi is not mentioning this in any announcement or blog posting. Would you conclude from that it's all routine maintenance fixes not worthy of any formal announcement?

QBZappy

Obihai is one of the few hardware/software devs that I know that find it to be a "chore" to post any changes. There must be a chief software developer in charge. How hard would it be for him to write up a few lines detailing the changes. How hard would it be for the marketing people to handle this if they feel it must pass their screening. That little effort would add positively to their rep. Instead, Obi users are constantly bad mouthing their inattention to this detail.  Given the possibility of both outcomes, where would a well intentioned company put the effort. Obihai has not understood a basic concept of task management. The task is not complete until all the steps are complete. They have not identified that advising the customer is a component in the task of building firmware. If I was the software dev I would ask myself why am I making this effort. Am I doing this to serve my needs, or the needs of others? If you can identify whose needs you are serving then you must inform them, otherwise you are creating these conditions perpetually.

It surprises me every time when they make changes to the firmware why they don't document it and reap the accolades of the user base for a job well done. It's all win/win. Why is this so hard to understand!
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

AAABen

Quote from: QBZappy on May 12, 2013, 06:07:22 AM
Obihai is one of the few hardware/software devs that I know that find it to be a "chore" to post any changes. There must be a chief software developer in charge. How hard would it be for him to write up a few lines detailing the changes. How hard would it be for the marketing people to handle this if they feel it must pass their screening. That little effort would add positively to their rep. Instead, Obi users are constantly bad mouthing their inattention to this detail.  Given the possibility of both outcomes, where would a well intentioned company put the effort. Obihai has not understood a basic concept of task management. The task is not complete until all the steps are complete. They have not identified that advising the customer is a component in the task of building firmware. If I was the software dev I would ask myself why am I making this effort. Am I doing this to serve my needs, or the needs of others? If you can identify whose needs you are serving then you must inform them, otherwise you are creating these conditions perpetually.

It surprises me every time when they make changes to the firmware why they don't document it and reap the accolades of the user base for a job well done. It's all win/win. Why is this so hard to understand!

eh....  small company? no dev process?

CoalMinerRetired

I noticed in another thread there's a new Obi202 firmware out there (yellow icon in the portal next to a '202 device), firmware version 3292 3932.  

Applied the update, then did an XML export comparison. In moving from 3878 to 3292 3932, noticed one new field, RandomDelayRange, defaulting to 30 ("the range of delay in seconds before the first attempt only, minimum 0"), in the section for Auto Firmware Update under Auto Provisioning under System Management.

I presume the real meat and potatoes of the difference in the firmware is something to do with the recent Google Voice/Google+ Hangouts changes, and is not apparent in any one particular new field.

Edit: 3292 to 3932.

Ostracus

I read that as a way to reduce the load on their servers come firmware update time.

Alaska99

New firmware 3932 tonight.... No changelog again!!  :-\

Johnny

I updated to this latest firmware today, (3932), and not more than an hour later, my wife gets her phone call cut off after 10 or 15 minutes into the conversation.

I noticed at the time that we had no internet connection which would account for the call being cut off, but is this simply a coincidence or could updating to this latest firmware have caused the internet outage in some way?

We haven't lost our internet connection in quite some time, so I'm a little concerned that it simply wasn't just a coincidence, but maybe something to do with the latest firmware.

I guess time will tell.......

maxime12

looks like im in the same boat i have no voice from the second party but they can hear me i just upgraded to latest firmware

JohnBowler

Additional annoyance; if you click the yellow alert icon it takes you to the 'changes' web page from January 24 which has a link to a file called OBi202-3-0-1-3741.fw.  It's not clear to me whether this really is 3741 because I did the ***6 thing and got 3932.

The only reason I upgraded was because for the second time in several months the 202 failed to renew its voip.ms server registration; it went from renewing every 60s to renewing every 48 days (approximately - 2^22 seconds).  This leaves the 202 in the state that it cannot receive incoming calls but can make outgoing ones.

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>