News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

"Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address"

Started by CanadianPete, May 07, 2013, 07:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanadianPete

I have my Obi 202 in router mode. My airport extreme is plugged into the Obi 202 and set to "bridge mode".

So my setup is this:

Modem › Obi 202 (in router mode) › airport extreme (in bridge mode).

Every once and a while (especially when the power goes off for a bit) I get the message on one of my computers: "Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address (192.168.10.---)."

Why does this happen and how can I fix this so that my computers will consistently obtain the IP address needed to go online?

Thanks,

Pete

Shale

I have not done this, so what I am suggesting is not tested, and it could be mistaken. Looking at the admin guide and my OBi202 web pages lead me to believe that I have it right. I suspect that your power loss was enough to reboot the OBi but not to reboot the computer. Maybe the computer is on a UPS, and the OBi202 not. Anyway, the plan is to always have the OBi202 to always assign the same IP address to the computer each time it asks for an IP address.

The following is accessed from the local web page on your OBi202. Go to Status>Lan Status and record the Client and the MAC address for the computer.

Then go to Router Configuration > DHCP Reservation
Create an entry for the computer. I suspect that you could enter either the ClientName or the ClientMACAddress, but maybe it wants both. Enter the part of the IP address into the box. If using the default IP addresses suggest picking something like 192.168.10.40, which would put it outside of the range that the router assigns things that are not in the reservation list, but still within the subnet.

You could do this for each device, or it might only be important for the computer.

Please comment on the router operation, because there have not been many posts reporting on that.

giqcass

I have never had a conflict when using DHCP across the board.  It could be a device malfunctioning but in my experience a conflict is usually due to one or more statically assigned devices. 

I would make sure the obi has it's own subnet that is different then the airport extreme and put the airport extreme into routing mode.  I would then turn DHCP on for all devices.  If you have a reason you need static assigned IP addresses you want to actually sit down with a pencil and paper to draw out your network topology.  Then assign each device an IP address.  The Airport extreme will have 2 ip addresses.  One Obi side and one internal.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

I have done the following and it works for me.

I set a DHCP range of .2 to .20 in my setup (mine is 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.20, yours may be different). 

I then setup fixed address for many devices including my Media PC, my OBi, my Roku, my TV Tuner (internet based, not in a machine), and a printer.  These are assigned addresses OUTSIDE the range, i.e. 10.0.0.56.  That way no new device can try for that address.

Shale