News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 Setup for UK PSTN

Started by ukuser, May 08, 2013, 06:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukuser

This message details the changes I had to make to my Obi110 for operation with a BT/TalkTalk PSTN land line.
If anyone would like to check it and make it a sticky - that would be great as I would have killed for this information.
Notes:
1) My Obi came from Amazon and was billed as an OBI110-UK. As far as I can see that only means you get a UK power brick; all software defaults are for the US and cause problems for UK PSTN operation. 
2) This message does not address any VOIP/SIP setup.
3) I tried 3 phones, 2 DECT and 1 corded, with the OBI. Only a Panasonic DECT (Type KX-TG7301E) worked out of the box. I simply removed the Line connector (teensy RJ11) from the Panasonic base station and plugged it in to Line socket on the OBI; I then plugged the Obi Phone socket to the Panasonic Line socket using the cable that came with the Obi. I got a dial tone from the Panasonic immediately.  Neither of the other phones did this and I didn't investigate further.
4) All changes were made locally, not through Obinet.

Thanks: To ianobi for probably the best technical help I've ever known.

Caveats: None of these changes did any damage to anything and the family doesn't  generally know the Obi's there at all. However, playing with the Auto Attendant (not detailed here) managed, unbeknownst to me, to lock my land line such that no one could call in until I took steps to clear it. Be careful!

To change settings locally and using an Obi at default settings:
1. Get Obi's IP address:
Lift handset; dial ***4
2. Enter http://what-the-man-said in browser.

3. Enter admin/admin at user/password prompt

And here we go, if it's not listed here then the default values work OK:

System Management > Network Settings

System Management > Network Settings > NTPServer1 uk.pool.ntp.org
System Management > Network Settings > NTPServer2 europe.pool.ntp.org
System Management > Network Settings > LocalTimeZone GMT+00:00(London,Lisbon)

System Management > Auto Provisioning
System Management > Auto Provisioning > ITSP Provisioning Disabled (optional)
System Management > Auto Provisioning > OBiTalk Provisioning Disabled (if you don't do this all your settings will be set back to whatever is setup in your account at Obinet (probably default US settings) at reboot and, like me, you will become mighteously confused.

Everything else under System Management is OK at default settings.

Service Providers
No changes necessary.

Voice Services
No changes necessary.

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute

*To get up and running the two parameters above can be left at default. They should be changed eventually - see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5362.msg34764#msg34764 If nothing else, change the references to "911" to "999|112".
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Impedance 370+(620||310nF)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > CallerIDMethod FSK(V.23)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > CallerIDTrigger After Polarity Reversal
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > HookFlashTimeMin 150 (might be OK at default, depending on phone)

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > RingDelay 0
Default RingDelay (4000) works but some telcos like to impose a 20 sec timeout after which their voicemail operates. The delay you enter here cuts into that 20 secs meaning you only have 16 secs to answer. If you alter the InboundCallRoute to use fancy CallerId filtering it might be necessary to increase this time but I haven't got proof of this.
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > RingProfile B
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > ACImpedance 370+(620||310nF)
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > OnHookSpeed 3ms (ETSI)
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > CallerIDDetectMethod FSK(V.23)

That's it, there are no other changes to any other pages required for UK PSTN lines. There may be other things necessary if your phone is not so accommodating as the Panasonic though.