News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Obi units, two locations, only one Obi enabled at any one time.

Started by Lateralg, May 08, 2013, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lateralg

I'm a "Snowbird" who now has an Obi 100 at home A.  I've been taking the unit to home B for six months of each year, then return it to home A. 

I want to leave this unit in home A, buy a second Obi and leave it in home B.  When I'm at home B, the unit in home A would be disabled ... no power, no connection to the internet.  When I'm at home A,  the unit in home B would be disabled.

1) Can I do this, and continue to use the two Google Voice numbers I now have?
2) If doable, how complicated is the solution?
3) Which Obi unit best supports this?  (The one I plan to buy)

Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

Shale

It should work fine, I would think. Set up a new OBi Endpoint on the OBi Dashboard.

If you forgot to pull the plug when you left, you could use OBiTalk to disable the remote one temporarily. One way I think you could use is to do that is in
Expert Mode: un-tick  (Voice Services)SPx Service->Enable.

Regarding which OBi to buy, you can get another OBi100, but you might also opt for an OBi202. The OBi202 would allow another phone line, and other things that may or may not be of interest to you. There is a lot to be said for having matching units. If they have the same firmware, maybe you could back up the existing one, and restore that back into the newer one. See if anybody posts caveats before trying that. If you do it, please post back your experience. http://www.obihai.com/product-primer.html

Lateralg

Thanks Shale.

Things are looking up.  I'm leaning toward the 202, and will go that way if it doesn't make life difficult when moving from home A to home B and back.

I'm uncertain about the meaning of the following in the OBI literature on Amazon:

"Built-In Router with QoS for VoIP Traffic Prioritization,only the OBiWiFi Wireless Adapter may be used with the OBi202 "

I assume it means that the OBi adapter CAN be used, but isn't required ... correct?

What's the advantage of using the adapter?

Make Better Things
Make Things Better
Gary

Shale

Quote from: Lateralg on May 08, 2013, 01:52:19 PM
"Built-In Router with QoS for VoIP Traffic Prioritization,only the OBiWiFi Wireless Adapter may be used with the OBi202 "

I assume it means that the OBi adapter CAN be used, but isn't required ... correct?

What's the advantage of using the adapter?
The WiFi adapter would be for someone who does not want to run an internet cable from his router to his OBi box to pass the SIP data.