News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Resolved: OBI110 GV says "Resolving DNS" in dashboard

Started by Pandora, April 06, 2011, 08:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandora

I can't get my new OBI110 to work with GV, the status on the dashboard is "Resolving DNS".

I updated firmware, did a device reset (from the web page), removed and re-added my OBI110, yet still can't make calls via google voice.

Searching this forum, there were suggestions to use dns of 8.8.8.8, which was also tried, but has failed.

Edit to add, firmware version is; 1.2.0 (Build: 2102), hardware version is; 2.8

Any suggestions before I return this to Amazon?

RonR

Can you successfully perform the echo test by dialing **9 222 222 222?

Is the correct time SystemTime being displayed on the OBi's System Status page?

OBiSupport

The status "Resolving DNS" can mean that the OBi is unable
to reach the DNS server specified, thus fail to contact the Google server.

From the OBi device's webpage, please check the status for "OBiTALK Service Status."

This should shown to be: "Normal."

This, and the ability for you to call **9 222 222 222 indicates
the OBi does not have network connectivity issue.

-Obihai Support Team

Pandora

Hi Ron and yes the **9 222 222 222 echo test runs without a problem. My router sees the device and assigns it a DHCP address. The router is running the Tomato (Teddy Bear fork), this is a Linux based firmware.

I have run other ATA's and currently have 5 Ooma hubs online 24/7 without problems. Prior to Ooma I ran a Linksys PAP 2T without trouble. My bandwidth down is 24 MB/sec, and the ISP is Comcast HSI Business though I have my own cable modem (SB 6120) and it provides an externally addressable IP address to my router.

After my post, I went out for a few hours to run errands, and got a connecting message on the device instead of resolving DNS. I'd prefer to see if this can be made to work, or maybe it's a bad device. So far, the support and company seem nice enough.

I do see device status from the dashboard at obtalk.com, have made calls via this google account via google chat. The device seems to be conversing well with obi, and with internet generally. It doesn't seem to be working with google for some reason. :(

When setting it up this morning, I updated the firmware from the dashboard via obitalk.com.

RonR

Since you can perform an echo test with the OBiTALK server, I doubt there's anything wrong with the OBi hardware.

Have you tried a simple manual configuration from factory defaults?:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Pandora

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the suggestion, I went through searches on this forum for dns and resolving earlier and think that particular group of settings was mentioned. I did try them, and still no luck. I also removed the SIP assist which is on my router, that didn't help either.

The tech support folks at Obi sent me an email asking about looking into this with a test firmware. I agreed. They seem nice enough. As I use a variant of Tomato, I tend to be a bit stumped about the exact cause of the problem. I'm certain others use Tomato on their routers with this device.

I appreciate your help and suggestions and am hoping for the best. The concept seems good, provided I can get it working here. I like the size of the device, it seems to be running cool, I haven't checked the wattage use, but based on it being so cool without any active fan it probably isn't using much.

Once it works, I'll be happy. ... Until then ... I have Pandora's box. :) ... (in case it wasn't immediately obvious, check my handle).

RonR

Quote from: Pandora on April 06, 2011, 01:14:45 PMAs I use a variant of Tomato, I tend to be a bit stumped about the exact cause of the problem. I'm certain others use Tomato on their routers with this device.
FWIW, I'm using this in my router:

Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB Ext

I suspect it may be the same as you're using.  I've had no problems with it.

Pandora

Thanks Ron,
Looks like it isn't the router / firmware.

My router is at Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6

The only difference would be I am running with the additional VPN capability, though it isn't active at this time.

RonR

I agree.

Well, hopefully the Obihai folks will figure it out soon.  Please report back with whatever ends up fixing it.

QBZappy

Pandora,

I am using a different build version of Tomato on my router. I have an Asus RT N16. My OBi is working perfectly using this version. I also use the VPN.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on April 06, 2011, 02:37:46 PMI am using a different build version of Tomato on my router.
You're two builds out of date.  Time for an update.   :)

QBZappy

RonR,

When I find some time, I'll do it. I hope I don't suffer "Pandora's fate" re the OBi. This will become known as the official name for this issue.  :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Pandora

Got it up and working this morning. I have several layers of protection on my router / network. One is opendns which should have been overridden by manually entering my Comcast HSI DNS servers to the OBi110 network configuraiton. Today I put talk.google.com on my white list in Opendns.

The following were blocked on the router:

TCP/UDP, all ports, L7: directconnect
TCP/UDP, all ports, L7: netbios
TCP/UDP, all ports, L7: msn-filetransfer
TCP/UDP, all ports, L7: pcanywhere
TCP/UDP, all ports, L7: radmin

also blocked were the following patterns:

analytics
hitbox
edge.quantserve.com
iv_drawAd
adserver
srv2.wa.marketingsolutions.yahoo.com$
wpad

I'm undertain which of the above were the source of my connection issue, but will begin to try and better resolve the problem by identifying the specific cause. I'll report back once I have more information so this thread can be available to future users with similar connectivity issues.

Pandora

Resolved:

Opendns repoted over 500 attempts to access talk.google.com yesterday. My router uses opendns, but I had configured my OBI110 to use Comcast's DNS servers and not my router to resolve URL's.

After testing disabling and re-enabling filters, it turns out my OBI110 was trying to access talk.google.com via opendns (through my router) despite having configured different DNS servers on my OBI network configuraiton page.

The problem seems to be the OBI firmware at least in part using the DHCP DNS server even if another DNS server is specified.

Thanks to all who helped. With any luck a future firmware fix will fully resolve this issue.

freetalk

Hi Pandora,

OBi will always contact the statically configured DNS first. For this issue, I suspected that:
     1. opendns probably blocked all DNS requests other than to the router   OR
     2. opendns intercepted all outgoing DNS requests and replied itself.

Pandora

Could be, it's just nice to have it fully operational. The voice quality is great, and I'm now a very satisfied customer.

Thanks also to Obi technical support for the emails and private help they offered.

Great product, great support, helpful forum, free calling. It's a very good deal.

Thanks all.

pacificlinks

Quote from: OBiSupport on April 06, 2011, 10:03:23 AM
The status "Resolving DNS" can mean that the OBi is unable
to reach the DNS server specified, thus fail to contact the Google server.

From the OBi device's webpage, please check the status for "OBiTALK Service Status."

This should shown to be: "Normal."

This, and the ability for you to call **9 222 222 222 indicates
the OBi does not have network connectivity issue.

-Obihai Support Team

WHERE IS THIS OBiTALK Service Status? Thank you.

QBZappy

pacificlinks,

If you go to your unit OBi web page you will find it here:
Status->System Status->OBiTALK Service Status->Status = Normal (User Mode)