News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Restore procedure for OBi device to an earlier configuration (howto guide)

Started by corporate_gadfly, May 13, 2013, 11:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corporate_gadfly

Just thought I would mention a sequence of steps that I took when I had to restore my OBi device (OBi202) to an earlier configuration. I didn't see these steps in their entirety while I was searching the forums.

Assumptions

• You are using the local web portal on the device itself for device management (not OBiTalk portal)
  • You have previously made a backup of your configuration

Step 1: Restore to factory defaults (optional)
In my case, the device was not responding at all, either on the phone handset or through the local web portal (probably because I had messed up the DigitMap on one of my user-defined DigitMap list). So, I needed to restore to factory defaults. You may or may not need to do this depending on your situation.

• Restore to factory defaults by using paper-clip in hole on the underside of unit for ten seconds while powering unit on

Step 2: Enable Internet (WAN) port access
By default, the unit comes with WAN access disabled. To enable WAN access, perform the following steps:

• Dial ***0 from the phone connected to the OBi
  • Enter 30#
  • Press 1 to Enter a New Value
  • Press 1# to Enable
  • Press 1 to Save

Step 3: Update admin password

• Obtain the OBi unit IP address by dialing ***1 from the phone connected to the OBi
  • Navigate to URL from previous step (use username admin, password admin which is the default)
  • Go to System Management -> Device Admin -> Admin Password, uncheck Default and choose a new password for the administrative user

Step 4: Restore to an earlier configuration

• Go to System Management -> Device Update -> Restore Configuration, browse to your earlier saved backup.xml file and click Restore

Step 5: Update passwords for all Voice Services
Since passwords are not stored in the backup file, you need to provide the passwords for all voice services. For example, if you had 2 service providers then you must update the passwords on:

• Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword, uncheck Default and provide password
  • Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthPassword, uncheck Default and provide password
and reboot and that's it.

Hope this was helpful. Do your own research before doing anything that could potentially damage your system and/or it's configuration.

Cheers and enjoy your OBi.

Shale

To make an XML file that you can restore later with the above procedure, here is the method:

In the OBi web interface, Go to
System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration.
There are three optional check boxes  for options that you could independently select.
http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506084 describes those.

I suggest looking below for suggestions as to which boxes to select. No boxes is the default, and that is probably good for most people.

corporate_gadfly

Quote from: Shale on May 27, 2013, 12:02:30 PM
To make an XML file that you can restore later with the above procedure, here is the method:

In the OBi web interface, Go to
System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration.
There are three optional check boxes  for options that you could independently select.
http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506084 describes those.

I suggest looking below for suggestions as to which boxes to select. No boxes is the default, and that is probably good for most people.
Thx Shale,

Here's the screen that Shale is talking about