News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can make outgoing but cant get incoming calls google voice

Started by windcrest77, May 19, 2013, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windcrest77

Hello,

I am at wits end, I have all the settings correct in gmail, google voice and OBi 100 but any phone that calls my google voice number does not ring my obi100 connected phone. Instead those callers go to voice mail after hearing 4 "rings". I can make an outgoing call from the obi100 connected phone, and I can successfully do a call phone from gmail, and when people call my google voice number they can leave a voice mail and all that works. But if I am home I want my obi100 phone to ring, and its not ringing. I also added all the ports listed in the FAQ to my router. My google voice account has the chat checkbox checked too. I have Comcast business class high speed internet 50 gigabits per second speed tested.

Please help, I am about ready to return this obi100 to Amazon and look into getting a magic jack or something else so I could have a land line.

PLEASE can anyone help me here? I even had my 16 year old son try to figure it out and he cant, so I know the situation is bad.

Thanks
Rick

azrobert

Did you see this topic?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=58.0

Two common fixes are:

Disable SIP ALG in your router. (Some routers don't have this Option)
Make sure you are signed off Chat in Gmail.

bananaslug79

Rick, also try deleting your Google Chat client from your Phones under Google Voice. It will show up again, then check the box to return call forwarding to it. This was the missing piece for me, and it was actually Obi's troubleshooting tool that caught it. http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/

windcrest77

Quote from: bananaslug79 on May 20, 2013, 09:06:22 AM
Rick, also try deleting your Google Chat client from your Phones under Google Voice. It will show up again, then check the box to return call forwarding to it. This was the missing piece for me, and it was actually Obi's troubleshooting tool that caught it. http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/

Thank YOU! Apparently my chat was pointing at my secondary email not my gmail account that i gave to obi. So I deleted chat. logged onto gmail. made a call phone call. that re-installed chat pointed at my gmail account. I made a call to my obi phone and IT WORKS! yippeeee!

I would suggewst obi add to the instruction for people to make sure the email address that shows up next to the edit/delete buttons by the chat checkmark, actually matches the email address they gave to the obi server. It is pretty subtle. My old gmail account still had chat configured without my newly created gmail email id.

Kyleishere

Another solution that worked for me - reposting from SteveinWA on a similar question since I did not find his response until after 3 hours of searching, trial and error:

Log into Gmail, not Google Voice, on a laptop or desktop computer, not a mobile device.  On your main Gmail inbox page, look on the left side of the page for your avatar.  This is either a generic head and shoulders icon, or your photo or GIF that you uploaded to represent yourself.  If you don't see your avatar at all, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the Gmail page, and click the small grey "chat balloon" to toggle it on or off.

Click your avatar to open up Hangouts options.  Look down at the bottom of the white options box for the small link "Revert to old Chat" and click it.  See my attached screenshot.

After you have reverted to old chat, click the telephone handset icon to pop up the Chat dialer to make a call.  This should re-install the Chat forwarding destination to Google Voice.

After you confirm that it did so, you can reverse the procedure in Gmail by clicking "Try the new Hangouts".  Your Chat "phone" will not go away.