News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Installing Obi 202 with wifi adapter

Started by jjk99, May 24, 2013, 09:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjk99

This is a description of some issues I was having installing the OBI 202 with the wifi adapter and how I resolved them. 

I was setting up my Obi 202 with the wifi adapter and I ran into the following problem.  No matter what I did, I could not load the wifi admin configuration page on my browser.  This is the page you get to by typing 192.168.10.1 or obiconnect.com/wifi and when you get there it is supposed to open a box asking for login and password of which the default are admin and admin.  So obi troubleshooting told me to try and press *27 from a phone connected to the obi and then try and connect from a laptop to the wifi site which I gather emanates from the obi itself.  I think the ssid for the site is something like OBIWIFI – it just shows up as an available wifi network once you do the *27 thing.  I connected my laptop to that network (which took a while since the connection is not that strong) and once again went to the above 2 web sites, the IP address and the obiconnect.com/wifi, and still no box popped up to log into the configuration. At this point I contacted obi support and they told me to leave all as is but run a lan cable from the lan port directly to my laptop.  When I did that, and typed in the IP or the obiconnect.com/wifi I immediately got a pop up box asking for my login and password, and from there it took me to a page where I was given a choice of wifi networks which were available to be joined.  I chose the one I wanted and it connected, and afterwards I was able to remove the lan cable and use the OBI on wifi only.

Shale

It's good that you posted your successful method.

Did you enter a word/ phrase as the WiFi password, or did you enter a hex number as the password?

jjk99

I just used admin admin as my password.  I didnt bother to change it since it seems like the range of the connection is limited to a few yards so the risk of someone hacking your obi by going to your admin config page is pretty low unless I am missing something.

jjk99

you made me laugh!  I thought that maybe someone had figured out how to build a sim reader out of tree bark I suppose. I missed the part where you said they had to text you and activate the sim.  Thank you for the good info on number porting.

Shale

Quote from: jjk99 on May 24, 2013, 12:29:32 PM
I just used admin admin as my password.  I didnt bother to change it since it seems like the range of the connection is limited to a few yards so the risk of someone hacking your obi by going to your admin config page is pretty low unless I am missing something.

I was thinking about the WiFi password, the password that you enter so that the OBi can get into your router after setup. I think that has to be hex.

I guess that there is not one on the WiFi connection when the OBi is serving as the server.Putting a password on the WiFi during setup would have made things more complex for something that is only being done initially.