News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to make speakerphone usable?

Started by mikeisinuse, May 22, 2013, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeisinuse

I have OBI100, Linksys WRT310N router, Clear wireless internet service, google voice.  Life is good.
Uniden cordless phone.
When I try to use the speakerphone, the echo delay mutes
the outgoing audio.  First syllable gets thru, then the outgoing
audio echo cuts off the audio for a fraction of a second.  Completely useless...

Tried Panasonic speakerphone with same result.
The OBI100 was overdriving the phone, so I've already set
the ChannelTxGain to -6 to fix that.

Is there anything I can configure in the OBI100 to make the
speakerphone usable?

Again, non-speakerphone performance is acceptable.  Lots of echo
delay, but that's what you get with voip.
Would be nice to be able to use the speakerphone.
Any ideas?
Thanks, mike

Rick

Interesting.  I use a Panasonic speakerphone just fine with no special settings, also my AT&T wireless phone which has speakerphones on each handset.

Shale

Quote from: mikeisinuse on May 22, 2013, 04:07:07 PM
Again, non-speakerphone performance is acceptable.  Lots of echo delay, but that's what you get with voip.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that when you call another phone at your location, you hear a delay between speaking and then hearing your voice in the other phone? That would be normal. Or are you saying that all of your VOIP calls have an echo? That would not be normal. That's not what you should expect with VOIP.

I thought I was hearing an echo on a local test call. I had called my cellphone, and I was hearing a strong echo. I went through looking up and even changing parameters on the OBi until POP! I had forgotten to mute the cell phone...

mikeisinuse

When you call the test number, 222222222, everything you say is echoed back to you about
half a second later at full volume.
When I called my neighbor, I got the same echo back.
The effect was that the echo caused the speakerphone vox to mute the microphone.
The first syllable gets through, then the mic mutes for a fraction of a second until the
echoes go away.  I went next door and called my number.  Sure enough, was unintelligible.
Turning off the speakerphone doesn't stop the echo, but does stop it from turning off the mic.
Don't have the problem using google voice directly from the computer...just through the obi box.

I've been messing with it and googling for a couple of days.  Rebooted obi many times.  Tried
an old analog phone.
Yesterday, the power went out.  The effect seems to have disappeared.  Echo is gone. 
Maybe rebooting
wasn't enough, needed to cycle power???

Seems to be working...for now...

Rick

I have found that many of the devices that I connected to the internet require regular power off (pull the plug), power on.  I've also found that booting the cable modem, waiting 3 or more minutes, booting router, wait 3 minutes, then booting devices matters some times. 

I've had several devices that I've gotten rid of including two internet-based alarm communicators that didn't act nice when power went out or hiccuped, so I no longer use them.

On my calendar on the 1st of each month I have "check cars fluids and tires, reboot network device by device"...