News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 How to make Phone go direct to PSTN Line

Started by ukuser, May 23, 2013, 04:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukuser

I use
Physical Interfaces->Phone Port->DigitMap
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute

with settings from this forum appropriate for the UK.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5362.msg34764#msg34764

Works fine.

Sometimes I want to make the Obi "transparent" to the house (DECT) phone as far as outgoing calls are concerned. That is, user lifts DECT and hears the exchange (not the Obi) dialtone immediately. No timeouts  or pressing # keys or anything.

(Obi will still be used but just to filter incoming calls.)

I have currently lost the will to live after reading the manual for half an hour and not understanding if this is even possible - let alone how to do it!

hwittenb

Quote from: ukuser on May 23, 2013, 04:30:44 AM
Sometimes I want to make the Obi "transparent" to the house (DECT) phone as far as outgoing calls are concerned. That is, user lifts DECT and hears the exchange (not the Obi) dialtone immediately. No timeouts  or pressing # keys or anything.

It is possible to configure the OBi to (permanently) automatically attach the phone to your "exchange" when you lift the phone but not "sometimes". You would be better off to just set the Phone Port "Primary Line" to "PSTN Line" so that all normally dialed calls without a special prefix would be sent to the PSTN Line.  

If you wish to permanently setup the phone so that when you take the phone off hook you hear the pstn line dial tone instead of a similiar sounding dial tone from the OBi adapter itself, you could replace the Phone Port DigitMap with (<#>S0) or have an element <S0:#>.  Then you would not be able to use the OBi adapter to dial out thru a voip provider.

Edit: Another alternative could be to setup a "warm line" so that when the phone is lifted you switch to the "exchange" dial tone after a short wait.  You could dial a voip number if you start dialing before the short wait ends.  For example if you have a Phone Port Digitmap entry of <S4:#> the phone will automatically dial # after 4 seconds and attach the adapter to the PSTN line where you receive the "exchange" dial tone.  

ukuser

That's better than I dreamed of! <S2:#>|... gives me enough time to press a key if necessary but doesn't confuse others who just want to use the phone normally. I don't have to change anything when I'm away and it's convenient if I want to see if there are any voice messages (stutter dialtone).

Thanks for such a good thought and clear explanation.

Bob