News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What are my connection options for my OBi110?

Started by SkOrPn, May 31, 2013, 06:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkOrPn

Hello again,

I have a question. My OBi110 has been on a DIR-655 connected to DSL via my PK5000 for several years now (works perfectly, thanks). However, this coming Monday (6/3/2013) my line will be terminated, and my Modem returned and I will be forced to run 100 feet of Cat6 to the main Modem/router (yes we had two service lines and two modems, but that is ending this weekend). My room will thus lose its modem and router and of course my DSL service. However, I will be gaining 40/5 Mbps service but only via Wireless-N and a single Cat6 Ethernet cable (100ft run).

So, with these new options (wifi or single Ethernet) I need to service my OBi110, my Panasonic BluRay/Netflix player, my Main Computer, my Android Tablet and my Windows 8 laptop (and maybe my Media Server).

So my plan. I am thinking of taking the Cat6 Ethernet cable and going directly to the Main computer (one device down), then getting a Linksys WES610N Wireless Bridge with 4-port switch (or any good bridge) and servicing the BluRay/Netflix player and the OBi110. I know this Bridge w/switch works with the BluRay player because that is what it is designed for, but will the OBi110 work connected to the wireless Ethernet switch? Or can I use a normal switch maybe connected to the single Ethernet run and then service everything via cat6 cable?

That is my dilemma and I am not sure how to proceed. Any ideas on what I should do would be helpful. Thanks

Rod

dircom

"Or can I use a normal switch maybe connected to the single Ethernet run and then service everything via cat6 cable?"

that should work.. (run an ethernet to the router then hang a switch on the end)
or if you really are going to run a cat 6 to the rtr, why don't you run two or 3 cat 6 while you are at it?

SkOrPn

Quote from: dircom on May 31, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
"Or can I use a normal switch maybe connected to the single Ethernet run and then service everything via cat6 cable?"

that should work.. (run an ethernet to the router then hang a switch on the end)
or if you really are going to run a cat 6 to the rtr, why don't you run two or 3 cat 6 while you are at it?
Hmm, ok I will look into this. The Modem/Router in question is a ActionTec C1000A, one of CenturyLink's flagship models. We had two lines, both had 1.5 mbps dsl service, but everyone wanted faster so we had to either stick with what we had, which was MUCH higher cost, or eliminating one line and upping to the new 40 mbps service (which just now became available to us and loving it). This was a no brainer, so I am dumping 1.5 service to gain 40, lol... But I only have one Ethernet port on the C1000A router that I can call mine. The rest are taken by the owners.

I have never worked with a switch before. Is it designed for media streaming, and or VoIP? I did a quick look on the Internet and I see articles that state a bridge is better than a switch, so that's why I am asking. Does a switch route traffic or have QoS like the Bridge? Man this is hard to figure out... lol 

SkOrPn

Oh wow. Is this what I think this is for? lol

http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/gs_108s.shtml?t=p

It looks like a switch designed for exactly what I am after? I just never heard of Zyxel before. I am a Linksys/Cisco and D-Link kind of guy, haha.

SkOrPn

Ok, afgter a bit of reading I am even more confused than ever. I just read from a Network engineer that switches are not designed for this type of function. I mean he clearly states that Multiple devices can not connect to the internet simultaneously. So, not sure why there would be Media versions of these switches with ports for Streaming media, ports for VoIP, etc if devices cant connect to the internet that provides these services. So, if only one device at a time can connect what happens when your watching a Netflix movie when your OBi110 receives a Google Voice call? It will not even get the call?

Going to spend the weekend researching but if anyone here knows how to connect the OBi110 in my situation and not compromise the other devices internet connection I would be grateful. Thanks

Koby

Quote from: SkOrPn on May 31, 2013, 09:36:02 PM
Ok, afgter a bit of reading I am even more confused than ever. I just read from a Network engineer that switches are not designed for this type of function. I mean he clearly states that Multiple devices can not connect to the internet simultaneously.

::) Oh, brother.  This guy calls himself a network engineer?  Yeah, and I'm an astronaut!

Seriously, didn't your B.S. detector go off when you read that?

If I understand your situation, all you really need is a simple Gigabit switch.  The Zyxel switch would probably work but may be overkill considering that in effect you will be "drinking from a firehose" with the plan you now have.  We have about 30 different devices on a home network and all we ever use are simple switches.  One that we have used with great success is the ASUS GX-D1081 although I see now there is a newer version available, the ASUS GX-D1081 V3 Unmanaged 10/100/1000Mbps 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with Green Network.  I don't know if the "V3" version is any better than the older model, but the original works great if you can catch a sale on it.

Newegg frequently runs sales on gigabit switches - yesterday they had a D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit Desktop Switch for $27.99 With Promo Code EMCXRTW66 and a Rosewill RC-415 Gigabit Green Ethernet Desktop Metal Enclosure Switch with 3-Year Warranty (which only has five ports) for $18.99 With Promo Code EMCXRTW72.  Or if you need many ports, they had a NETGEAR 24 Port Gigabit Business-Class Rackmount Switch - Lifetime Warranty (JGS524) for $169.99 With Promo Code EMCXRTW67, or $129.99 After $40.00 MIR.  The ad said "Discounted prices and/or promo codes are valid till 06/06/2013."  If you don't like any of those models, sign up for their daily deals e-mail and you'll find a deal on one brand of gigabit switch or another probably at least once or twice a week.

Actually I'd be careful of switches that try to be too "smart" - read the reviews carefully before you buy; they may make things better but on the other hand they could make things worse.  Consider the router manufacturers that have included a flawed implementation of SIP ALG which often has to be turned OFF before SIP connections will work properly.  I have no idea whether that Zyxel unit would do anything good for you but unless you are getting a great deal on it, it probably wouldn't be my first choice, at least not without researching to see how well it has worked for others.

SkOrPn

Actually yes a BS meter did go off and I completely ignored it due to me never using a switch before.

I really like Asus products as most of my motherboards over the years have been ROG boards. The price is right and the name is as well. I was already looking at the TRENDnet, netgear and dlink models with excellent reviews. However I really like Asus products (typing this on a Nexus 7 built by Asus) so maybe I will just go with that. I see that the Asus switch has a feature specific to VoIP and I like that.

But what about video streaming from Netflix?

Koby

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 01, 2013, 12:56:35 AM
Actually yes a BS meter did go off and I completely ignored it due to me never using a switch before.

I really like Asus products as most of my motherboards over the years have been ROG boards. The price is right and the name is as well. I was already looking at the TRENDnet, netgear and dlink models with excellent reviews. However I really like Asus products (typing this on a Nexus 7 built by Asus) so maybe I will just go with that. I see that the Asus switch has a feature specific to VoIP and I like that.

Why are you so intent on thinking you need something more than a plain old gigabit switch?  If it's a decent switch you shouldn't have any issues with either VoIP or Netflix.  In fact, given the speed of the connection you are working with, I find it difficult to fathom what a switch could possibly do to improve your connection.  You already have great connection speed, so the only thing necessary for the switch is that it be fast enough and have enough memory to not get in the way.

I use the Asus switch with two HDHomeRun Dual devices, which together can feed up to four live video streams simultaneously to other computers on the network.  If it can handle that without a hiccup, I doubt it's going to have a problem with Netflix.  Don't be fooled by marketing hype - just because a company mentions VoIP or Netflix or something else in their advertising, that doesn't necessarily mean those services will actually be any more reliable than with a different brand that doesn't try to convince you that it contains some kind of magic pixie dust.

giqcass

Technically only one device is connected to the internet at a time.  On a good network you will never notice it but the devices are all taking turns.  When two device talk at the same time they call it a collision.  A device that says it's made for media and VOIP typically just has QOS settings that let devices like VOIP and media servers cut in line when necessary.  A device that is browsing the net might get pushed back a little because a few milliseconds delay won't be noticed.

QuoteActually I'd be careful of switches that try to be too "smart"
I agree with Koby on this point.  Devices that are too smart often cause problems.  A lot of the time networking issues are solved by turning off "smart" features.

I would go with a Gigabit switch since it sounds like you are in a high traffic environment.  Any Gigabit switch will most likely provide QOS settings but I doubt you even need them.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Shale

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 01, 2013, 12:56:35 AM

http://www.asus.com/Networking/GXD1051/ , http://www.asus.com/Networking/GXD1081/ , http://www.asus.com/Networking/GXD1081_V2/ seem to support store and forward operation. Thus a slow device should not bring down the performance of the whole link.

I suggest you put your OBi into 100 Mb full duplex Ethernet mode: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5454.0

LeoKing

Even a $10 10/100Mbps switch will work great for the OBi110. Unmanaged Gigabit switches are often on sale on Newegg.com & cost less than $25 for an 8-port one if you want to go with a Gigabit switch.

Edit to add: Switches on Newegg.com

I am connecting my 2 OBi110's to a $7 10/100 switch that I bought from Newegg. They're running great with this setup for a year now.

SkOrPn

Well I went with the ASUS GX-D1081 V3 switch mainly because of looks. It just closely matches all the equipment it will be near.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320160&IsVirtualParent=1

Thanks Koby

Regards
Rod

Rick

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 01, 2013, 10:11:33 PM
Well I went with the ASUS GX-D1081 V3 switch mainly because of looks

Really?  Wow...

SkOrPn

Yeah, might as well since the technology is pretty much identical in all the competing devices. The only real concern is aesthetics, build quality, warranty and price, and this unit hits a home run in all four departments for me. Since I have direct contacts in Asus, it seems like the device for me. Funny thing is it looks a little like my Roku 3 box that will be sitting next to it, haha hope I don't get them confused, lol... Maybe I can velcro the Switch to the top of the Roku and make it look like a fancy new Media Player Network device.

Shale

Quote from: SkOrPn on June 02, 2013, 06:36:09 PM
Yeah, might as well since the technology is pretty much identical in all the competing devices. The only real concern is aesthetics, build quality, warranty and price, and this unit hits a home run in all four departments for me. Since I have direct contacts in Asus, it seems like the device for me. Funny thing is it looks a little like my Roku 3 box that will be sitting next to it, haha hope I don't get them confused, lol... Maybe I can velcro the Switch to the top of the Roku and make it look like a fancy new Media Player Network device.
That router form factor is hard to stack something, such as your Roku, onto.

LeoKing

Quote from: Shale on June 02, 2013, 07:31:50 PMThat router form factor is hard to stack something, such as your Roku, onto.

I agree. I bought several 10/100 and Gigabit switches with metal enclosures from Newegg when they're on sale. I love the switches with metal enclosures because they don't move easily like the plastic ones.