News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID format

Started by jcrouch, June 01, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcrouch

Hi all,

I just ditched Insight Communications' $40/mo VoIP service for an OBi100 setup using Google Voice.

On incoming calls my caller ID looks like this:

Thats it, just 11 digits. Can I format that number to at least have dashes in the usual places? (e.g. 1-222-333-4444)

Would this be on the OBi side or Google Voice? Also is there the possibility of getting the name of the caller too?

Im new to all this so forgive me if this is a really simple thing and its on a menu somewhere.

Thanks,

Jeremy

N7AS

This is usually a function of the phone. My cordless phones format the number with dashes, but my IP phone does not. Ypu may need to replace your phone with another.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

jcrouch

Thanks N7AS,

Im not sure though... I still have older call history on my cordless phone and when I go back through the calls you can see where the caller id format changes from:

John Smith
222-333-4444

to

I didn't change anything on my handsets when I switched over to the OBi100.

I did some research last night and answered part of my question, the name for the caller. I found that you need a separate CNAME service to lookup the names from a database. Possible to do with my setup, but complicated and not free, so I will live without it.

But the dashes in the number would be nice. I guess whatever CNAM service Insight was using probably was formatting the number for me too.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

N7AS

This is what I do to get CNAN with GV,,,

Go to Simon Telephonics GoogleVoice Gateway https://simonics.com/gvgw/ and enter your GV login there. It will give you SIP credentials to enter on your OBi110. If you get a login failed with Simon Gateway, just go to your GV webpage and there should be a red bar on top that states that someone had tried to login to your account. Just click on the link and follow the steps to allow it. Then go back to Simon Gateway and submit the login again. You then should get the SIP credentials to enter in your OBi110.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Smee

Quote from: N7AS on June 01, 2013, 10:36:24 PM
This is usually a function of the phone. My cordless phones format the number with dashes, but my IP phone does not. Ypu may need to replace your phone with another.

I agree with that, but only partially.  For the most part some older, and even current, phones have difficulty with 11 digit CID vs 10 digit.  Currently the Obi sends 11 digit CID information, or more precisely Google does since that who my provider is, to my phone.  When a number is received on my Uniden phone as 10 digit, it formats it properly.  When received as 11 digit, it doesn't format the number at all.  The point is, that the provider is also somewhat responsible for the formatting of the number since it is not typical for CID information to be sent as 11 digits, at least here in North America.  A feature to strip leading a country code would be great though.  ;D

Smee

ianobi

Smee,

It is possible to transform incoming CallerID. For example:

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{(<1:>@@.):ph},{ph}

An incoming call with CallerID of 12345678912 will have the leading "1" removed before the CallerID is sent to the phone by the rule {(<1:>@@.):ph}.

An incoming call with CallerID of 2345678912 or any other CallerID not starting with "1" will be sent to the phone unchanged by the rule {ph}.

Smee

Quote from: ianobi on June 03, 2013, 09:21:08 AM
Smee,

An incoming call with CallerID of 12345678912 will have the leading "1" removed before the CallerID is sent to the phone by the rule {(<1:>@@.):ph}.

An incoming call with CallerID of 2345678912 or any other CallerID not starting with "1" will be sent to the phone unchanged by the rule {ph}.

Wow, thanks.  This certainly makes the display on my Uniden phone display to where at least it is readable.  After applying the above, I now see my number formatted as 123-456-7890.  Many thanks for the tip!!  I applied it to all three of my Obi100s.  ;D

Smee

jcrouch

Smee,

Waahoo!!!!!! That is perfect! Thank you so much.

GregoryZ

Ianobi,

Surprise!!  Guess who is still around and reading your posts?   :) :)

Here is a question for your expert knowledge.....

Smee,

So how would this look if I removed the "1" but added the "**1" to show the line number the call came in on?

I was looking at your post on "Caller ID format": http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6045.msg38612#msg38612, and wanted to combine the two ideas.

-G

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

ianobi

GregoryZ,

Glad to see that are still with us - it's always a pleasure to hear from you   :)

It should be quite easy to achieve what you describe. The original rule:

The "1" on the left of the colon is replaced by the "nothing" on the right of the colon. This rule will replace "1" with "**1":

{(<1:**1>@@.):ph},{ph}

For sp2:

Voice Services > SP2 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{(<1:**2>@@.):ph},{ph}

My very cheap dect phones seem ok with displaying "*", but there have been reports of phones that will only display numbers for CallerID.

The OP in this thread wanted 10 digits so his phone would display the format xxx-xxx-xxxx. I'm not sure how the CallerID will be formatted for a number such **12345678912. I think it will vary depending on the type of phone. Mine just outputs the string **12345678912 with no dashes or spaces. However, I am using UK style CallerID, so it would be interesting to hear how this works with North American style CallerID.

GregoryZ

Ianobi,

Thanks for the code.  :)

I've been using the **1>@@. for a while now.  Works very well for my needs.

As for the way that it displays on my phone, it comes up as kind of a sideways "T".  I have a Vtech Chepo.  (I really like it though.)  When I press "*", it always shows as the sideways "T".

On the one line that I use the code, the phone does not give me the auto format of 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.  On the line that I am not using the code, all numbers format correctly as: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

As for my Softphone, it does not show the dashes, on either line, but does shows the "**1".  So, I'm thinking that it's just the brand of the phone that decides the format of the numbers displayed.

A quick test of your new code... and it works as I thought it would.  Of course, because of the "**1" or in my case the sideways "T", the format of xxx-xxx-xxxx, is not on the phone's display.  But, I'm happy with the results!!

BTW - I upgraded from the OBi100 to the OBi200.  I'm not using the BT or Wifi dongles, but I sure am happy with it. 

Thanks again!!!
-G
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

Hasher

Quote from: N7AS on June 02, 2013, 12:59:45 PM
This is what I do to get CNAN with GV,,,

Go to Simon Telephonics GoogleVoice Gateway https://simonics.com/gvgw/ and enter your GV login there. It will give you SIP credentials to enter on your OBi110. If you get a login failed with Simon Gateway, just go to your GV webpage and there should be a red bar on top that states that someone had tried to login to your account. Just click on the link and follow the steps to allow it. Then go back to Simon Gateway and submit the login again. You then should get the SIP credentials to enter in your OBi110.

I got my credentials but am unsure where in my OBi110 I am supposed to add them.  A little new to VOIP and still learning .. How do I set up those credentials so I get the name of who is calling?

N7AS

Assuming you are using SP1...
In Voice Services > SP1 Service > SIP Credentials >
AuthUserName:  Your SimonGaeway Username such as GV1xxxxxxxxxx
AuthPassword: Your Simonateway password shown as Secret

In Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General >
SignalingProtocol > Select SIP from th dropdown box
DTMFMethod > I select InBand (that works best for me)

In Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > SIP >
ProxyServer: gvgw6.simonics.com or whater they gave you
RegisterService:: same as above
UserAgentDomain: same as above
OutboundProxy: same as above

Sav changs for each page before going to another. When finished reboot the OBi and you are done..

Refresh the status page and you should see "Registered"

That's it.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

Hasher

Quote from: N7AS on July 22, 2013, 04:44:11 PM
Assuming you are using SP1...
In Voice Services > SP1 Service > SIP Credentials >
AuthUserName:  Your SimonGaeway Username such as GV1xxxxxxxxxx
AuthPassword: Your Simonateway password shown as Secret

In Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General >
SignalingProtocol > Select SIP from th dropdown box
DTMFMethod > I select InBand (that works best for me)

In Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > SIP >
ProxyServer: gvgw6.simonics.com or whater they gave you
RegisterService:: same as above
UserAgentDomain: same as above
OutboundProxy: same as above

Sav changs for each page before going to another. When finished reboot the OBi and you are done..

Refresh the status page and you should see "Registered"

That's it.

Thanks Much. I had guessed about 75% of it but was not sure about the General stuff.  It all works perfectly .

limulus11

I tried this, but it didn't seem to work.  Every time I put this in and save it- the device would seem to take it.  Then when I got a call the device would show the wrong number of digits and then when I checked the configuration my changes would be gone- and it would be back to the default setting.  Any ideas why?

Thanks.

Smee,

Shale

Quote from: limulus11 on October 21, 2013, 11:16:48 AM
Every time I put this in and save it- the device would seem to take it.  Then when I got a call the device would show the wrong number of digits and then when I checked the configuration my changes would be gone- and it would be back to the default setting.  Any ideas why?

Yes. See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=92.0

limulus11

Quote from: Shale on October 21, 2013, 12:32:11 PM
Quote from: limulus11 on October 21, 2013, 11:16:48 AM
Every time I put this in and save it- the device would seem to take it.  Then when I got a call the device would show the wrong number of digits and then when I checked the configuration my changes would be gone- and it would be back to the default setting.  Any ideas why?

Yes. See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=92.0

OK, Thanks for that help.  I used the Obitalk configuration method- the changes took and stuck.  It did result in cutting off the leading 1 in the caller ID, however now some of my incoming calls are now just showing 7 digits
(no area code).  Strangely, the 7 digit ones are not necessarily in my local area but are from a different area code.  Any ideas around how to ensure that I get all 10 digits (area code included) displayed?
Thanks.

ProfTech

It sounds like you are using a cordless phone with your local area code programmed into it. Remove the local area code from the phone and all 10 digits should show, although I don't have any experience with the method to strip the 1 shown by Ianobi.

limulus11

Quote from: ProfTech on November 06, 2013, 05:48:25 AM
It sounds like you are using a cordless phone with your local area code programmed into it. Remove the local area code from the phone and all 10 digits should show, although I don't have any experience with the method to strip the 1 shown by Ianobi.

No, I have no local area code programmed into my phone.  Also, as I mentioned before- it is not a local area code that is getting stripped out, but a completely different area code.  For example.  My area code is 404.  When I get calls from this area I am seeing 404-xxx-xxx.  Someone with a 310 area code called me and I saw xxx-xxxx on my phone, but when I checked the Google Voice log it was showing  310-xxx-xxxx.  This has happened several times now. Does anyone know why  my Obi110 id passing all 10 digits for some calls while  it is just passing on 7 digits for others (even though Google Voice is picking up all 10 digits in every case)?

ianobi

limulus11,

This is very odd, but at least we should be able to see what's going on. Straight after a call that comes in as xxx-xxxx look at:

1. GV call log: shows what GV sent to OBi.

2. In your OBi: Status > Call History > Peer Number (under SP1 or 2) shows what was received by the OBi before the "1" stripping rule was applied. This is only available in your local web page – dial ***1 for the IP address, user name and password are both "admin" unless you have changed them.

3. In your OBi: Status > PHONE & LINE Status > Phone Port Status > LastCallerInfo. This shows what your OBi sent to the Phone Port in format "CName" CallerID. If there is no CName, then the format will most likely be "" CallerID.

4. Your phone log (if it has one): shows what was received by your phone.