News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

MessageWaiting not visible on obitalk.com for OBI110

Started by aaronsobi, June 03, 2013, 09:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronsobi

I'm trying to enable my voicemail notifications on my phone with the OBI110.  When I login locally to my obi, I go to Voice Service > SP1 Service > Calling Features and I see MessageWaiting with no checkmarks in the Value or Default columns.  If I check this and reboot the device, my notifications work for about 10 seconds just fine.  Then they stop working.  When I go back to that location locally again, it's setup without any checkmarks for MessageWaiting again.

So this is obviously an auto provision problem that my settings are being reset by the webpage.  So Locally and on the web page, I turned off autoprovisioning (System Management > Auto Provisioning > ITSP Provisioning > Method = Disabled and System Management > Auto Provisioning > OBITALK Provisioning > Method = Disabled) and reset the MessaageWaiting to be checked.  Then performed a reboot.  Again, with Provisioning turned off, the feature works for 10 seconds and then is reset. 

I'd rather not have to turn off provisioning and just set this on the website, but when I go to the website and enter the OBI Expert Configuration Menu and navigate to Voice Service > SP1 Service > Calling Features, I have MWIEnable with value checked and a red exclamation point behind it, X_VMWIEnable value column checked with a red excalmation point behind it.  But the website doesn't list the MessageWaiting Parameter at all for me to select.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the red exclamation points, but there's no explanation as to what those are there for on the screen.  Anyone out there seen this before and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

CoalMinerRetired

MessageWaiting is a "read only" indicator field, you do not set a value in it. The logic in the Obi sets it, hopefully to match the MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable on the phone(s).

Per the Admin Manual:
QuoteThis is a state rather than a configuration parameter, that indicates if there are any new messages for this subscriber on the service provider's voicemail system

aaronsobi

o.k. that makes sense!  Thank you!  So I'm looking in the wrong area.  If I look at my google voice account, I have 9 messages waiting, but my phones don't indicate that there's a message waiting.  As described before, I've enabled MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable, then why wouldn't my phone display that there's a message waiting?  It's gotta have something to do with the exclamation points behind them...

Aaron

CoalMinerRetired

Exclamation Points mean there's an OBi Expert Configuration setting that is different than the OBiTALK configuration entry. Full explanation here

The exclamation points are not there in my Google Voice configuration (on an Obi202). So maybe it's in how you did the initial setup, the Obi GV 'wizard' knows to enable the MWI and VMWI, at least it did on Obi202s I've setup.

You can do a few tests: The MessageWaiting field should exactly match what your phone shows, MessageWaiting On means your phone should have MWI and/or VMWI, MessageWaiting Off means no MWI and/or VMWI on your phone.

I'm not sure with Google Voice you can toggle VMs as read/unread and get the MWI and/or VMWI to show on/off. In any case MessageWaiting is the key, it it's on then the phone lights and stutter dial tone should be on.  The true test here should be leave yourself a new, unread vm (don't use one of your forwarding phones to do this, unless you call anonymously) and then see wait a few seconds (hopefully) to see what the MessageWaiting field shows. If it's off and you have a new unread VM, issue is between your Obi and GV, if it's on and phone indicators are off, then issue is between your Obi and your phone(s).

Reply back if still stuck after trying the above.

aaronsobi

Thanks for the reply!  I realized that I've been making this way too complicated for what I need, so what I've done is deleted my device from the obtalk.com website, then I hit the hard reset button on my device for 15 seconds till it rebooted.  I went into the local configuration screen and verified that the obi was reset back to default configuration.  Then I went on the website, added the device back as a brand new device and simply followed the setup instructions for google voice and the E911 service.  Both are back up and connected.  So it's like my device is a fresh out of the box setup.  I haven't touched any of the expert configurations.  I've checked google voice mail notification so my phone beeps and the light flashes when I have a voicemail waiting (according to the documentation).  I've called the phone from a number not associated to my google voice account and I have a message waiting, but I still don't have the beep or light indications on my phones indicating that I have a waiting message.  Any suggestions on what to do next?  Thanks!

CoalMinerRetired

I'm following everyhting you say up to the point below.
Quote from: aaronsobi on June 07, 2013, 12:50:30 PM
I've checked google voice mail notification so my phone beeps and the light flashes when I have a voicemail waiting (according to the documentation).  I've called the phone from a number not associated to my google voice account and I have a message waiting, but I still don't have the beep or light indications on my phones indicating that I have a waiting message.  Any suggestions on what to do next?  Thanks!
I don't get where you'd done this: "I've checked google voice mail notification..", if you did not go into the expert mode config?  You should not have to turn on anything in the obi if you "simply followed the setup instructions for google voice and the E911 service" because the Obi setup wizard does this for you.

So, ... after you left yourself an unread message in GV, does the Obi MessageWaiting field show checked or not checked? I'm not clear on this point from your reply. As mentioned, you have to go into Expert Mode, or you have to access the device via the Web Server-Based Local Configuration (also called The OBi Device Management Web Page also called direct IP address interface).  To rehash, if you have a GV VM and the MessageWaiting field is not checked, something is wrong between Obi and GV. If the MessageWaiting field is checked, and your phones do not flash or sound the 'stutter dial tone' then your phones are suspect (or your phone cable, or your Obi device itself).