News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use landline when there's no network/power

Started by jaquer, June 06, 2013, 12:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaquer

Just got my OBI110, and I loved how easy and painless it was the set it up for Google Voice.

There is something else I thought I would be able to achieve with it. Part of the reason why I kept my land line is in case there's a power/network outage, I'd still like to be able to fallback on it. Yet whenever I unplug the Obi, the line goes dead. And if I unplug the Ethernet cable to simulate a dead network, I still get a dial tone, but when I dial a number it just tells me there was no service.

Is there a way to accomplish fallback service when there's no power/network? I tried searching, but I'm still trying to learn all the terminology.

Rick

Older 110's worked that way.  They removed the capability in newer ones.

Shale

To work around this, you could use a splitter adapter plugged into your Line port and do either or both of these things:

• Plug an extra line-only phone into one socket of the adapter.
  • During power failure, plug the regular phone into the other socket of the adapter temporarily.

LeoKing

I plugged the router, the OBI110's and the base of my cordless phone to a 1500VA UPS so I could use the GV phone through the OBi's for the whole day during power outage.

jaquer

Thank you all for your replies. I think removing this functionality was very short sighted, but perhaps there was a technical reason for it.

I still have one phone downstairs hooked up straight to the phone jack, but the backup power seems like a good idea. I just have to test if 911 calls fallback to the phone line when there's no network available.