News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi and U-Verse

Started by potvin48, June 07, 2013, 09:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potvin48

Just got connected to U-verse tonight, and can't seem to get my Obi to work.  The modem is a Motorola NVG510.  The guy told me that my dialtone is generated in the modem now.  My old DSL setup had the line running from the wall into the Obi, the phone line going to the phone, ethernet to the router, and of course power to the power.  Everything worked perfect.  Now, if I do that same setup, I can make outgoing calls just fine, but all of my incoming calls apparently go to my google voice number...

Any ideas?

Smee

Quote from: potvin48 on June 07, 2013, 09:02:47 PM
Just got connected to U-verse tonight, and can't seem to get my Obi to work.  The modem is a Motorola NVG510.  The guy told me that my dialtone is generated in the modem now.  My old DSL setup had the line running from the wall into the Obi, the phone line going to the phone, ethernet to the router, and of course power to the power.  Everything worked perfect.  Now, if I do that same setup, I can make outgoing calls just fine, but all of my incoming calls apparently go to my google voice number...

Any ideas?

Have you checked the Obi console and does it show green?  I have Uverse as well, but not the Motorola modem, but instead I have the 2Wire modem.  I decided against using it as my main router and instead have a DD-WRT router behind the 2Wire and set the DD-WRT on the DMZ.  I did this mainly because I wanted reliable QoS.  I haven't experienced any issues with UVerse itself.

Smee

Rick

Any ideas?

You need to provide a lot more info.  You say that your old DSL setup had the phone line running from the wall to the OBi.  That must mean you have an OBi 110? 

If yes, then the POTS (plain old telephone service) line you had before was coming through the OBi to your phones, and your OBi was getting the VoIP service (apparently GV) from the router you had.

Now, you have U-Verse.  U-Verse is VoIP, not POTS.  To prove this, plug your telephone directly into the wall outlet.  I suspect you'll find no dial tone as the technician told you, since the dial tone is from the U-Verse box giving you your VoIP connection. 

How did they connect your phones to the U-Verse box when they installed it?  Or, did you do a self-install?  You likely need to connect a phone line from the U-Verse box to the LINE port of the 110 (I'm speculating here, I don't have U-Verse) to give you your main phone line. 

As far as your incoming calls to your POTS line going to GV, I can't explain that unless you setup your old number to forward to your GV number.

Jackson

Just got connected to U-verse tonight, and can't seem to get my Obi to work.  The modem is a Motorola NVG510.

The guy told me that my dialtone is generated in the modem now.

Any ideas?
Sounds like a modem made to handle their telephone needs.  I Imagine those ports should not be used.

I have a similar modem for WOW, an ARRIS with 2 phone ports that are used for WOW's phone service.  I've ignored them and just plug my Obi direct into one of the router ports.